2010 Partakers number is out!!!

by Hairyhegoat 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AGuest
    AGuest

Religious organizations enjoy tax-exempt status when they are "open to the public", dear LWT (peace to you!). This is not so much because of the belief in "freedom of religion" but more so because many believe they contribute to the "public good" (i.e., by speaking to the "conscience" of the public they "help" the government maintain law and order). A religion CAN be private, but like private schools, cannot receive assistance from the government in such instances.

The WTBTS enjoys tax-exemption as they claim to be such a "public" religion. Hence, the "Public" Talk. However, it is not enough for ONE meeting (out of, say, 5) to be open to the public. Previously, so long as the majority of their gatherings were open to the public, they were okay. So, they go away with the Book Study (which was not "open to the public") being conducted in private homes. However, I think certain changes to the Tax Code that either went into effect in 2010... or will go into effect sometime between 2011-2014, I can't remember... put organizations like the WTBTS at risk of losing that status (and thus becoming a "for profit" entity, which would have to pay taxes on all $$ they receive, even if donations. Because it would be "taxable income")... if ALL of their meetings weren't accessible to the public.

You can't keep Caesar's money... and not use it to serve his citizens. At least, that's the premises. We all know they don't really serve Caesar's citizens, but their own... but apparently their story is that they ARE... and they're sticking to it.

I hope this helps and you're not really ignorant, per se. The Tax Code is only understood by an elite few... who pay for even more schooling to be educated as to how to read it. It is one area of law that I would LOVE to practice... along with Estate Planning (but I'm just not ready/financially able at this time). I think, however, that if there's anything on this earth that can be used against WTBTS, as a corporation, it is the U.S. (and other countries') Tax Code(s). If one knows what they're really about... and what one is looking for. [Shelby thinks... hmmmmmmm... ]

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Scully
    Scully

leavingwt

My guess is that they need to justify a "charitable" structure that doesn't allow its premises to be used for Boy Scout or Girls Scout meetings, for example, or other community-oriented activities when it isn't open for regular worship services. Therefore, if they maximize the usage of the building, they can claim that they use their Kingdom Halls every day for worship services, making it unavailable for community services.

• AGuest
    AGuest

But they don't use their buildings every day, dear Scully (peace to you!), do they, regardless of where they hold the BS? Meetings are pretty much two evenings during the week and Sundays. Even if there are multiple congregations, few have meetings on Saturdays, or Monday/Friday evenings. Most has nothing between the morning FS/BS meeting and afternoon evening BS/MS meetings. However, having BS meetings in private homes would pretty much undermine that whole "open to the public" requirement (i.e., they can't make a householder let folks in - they really couldn't even ASK them to just let any old body in).

Lots of speculation and I can see where safety, parking permits, etc., are all viable reasons. The WTBTS is going to do whatever it needs to to protect itself from liability because it has some serious "deep pockets." In light of the change in the literature distribution program (which was absolutely directly related to taxation)... resulting from the taxation in other countries... and the need to have meetings "open to the public"... which the BS wasn't... I believe it really boils down to a tax issue. Because the SOL for tax evasion is 10 years... and includes interest and penalties.

But this is just my $0.02, based on things I've heard/learned but can't post as to their validity without reviewing the Tax Code changes over the past 5-7 years (because they often go into affect several years after passed)... and I'm just not up for that...

Oh, and we have 1,000 years, at least, before we have to worry about Armageddon ®.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• sir82
    sir82
    I heard the rumor leaking about home book studies being cancelled in large part due to tax exemption laws.

Just wanted to echo the request for more information. I always suspected there was something more than altruism involved, but would like to know more details.

• I<3MYGod
    I<3MYGod

Sorry guys, it's all my fault. I went to the memorial and I was very very hungry. The Jezzits were so bland and tasteless that I had to drink all the koolaid as well...my bad :(

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Shelby and Scully: Thank you for those further clarifications. I had not considered that.

• pontoon
    pontoon

All about maintaining thei tax exemt status I didn't know. All that being the way it is, can we invite the public or the R&F to their closed door elder meetings? I never meant to suggest that we kept the public out, just years ago we never tried so hard to get them to go. And back to what I said about Jesus just having his twelve only, if that is the proper bible example then the org is caving in under man's law.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    the org is caving in under man's law

Well, you can't keep "Caesar's" belongings without paying "Caesar" SOMETHING, dear Pontoon (again, peace to you!). The tax loopholes "belong" to him, too. So, either you pay him his taxes... or use his loopholes (which usually call for some kind of compromise/obeisance, but not always).

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit