Dishonering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

by Dark Side 127 Replies latest social current

• carvin
    carvin

Serenity - I agree that most black people, at least the ones I know, do not agree with this kind of talk. I hope you don't think that I was implying that.

Many here are saying the Glenn Beck has an agenda,of course he does we all do in our own way. I believe he truely loves this country and is afraid of the road we are on at this point in time. I have not heard him say anything like that in the Shabazz speach. If we don't agree with someone that is fine, we should say why and give a counter point. We should not personally attact them or call for them to be silenced. It does not foster growth, the sharing of ideas does.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Ever notice, that despite the fact that most black people are Democrats, most of their heroes in history were Republicans or Conservatives?

As example, ... Abraham Lincoln (R) and MLK (Conservative Preacher)

Democrats in history were members of the KKK, were hanging blacks in the south, etc.

Yet to get their numbers up, they saw how they could take an uneducated part of the public and exploit them. Give them welfare, food stamps, and tell them to not bite the hand that feeds you. While a man like Lincoln did not free slaves to see them this way, MLK did not have a dream of blacks living on government assistence? They wanted hard working, productive members of society with the rights to reach what ever they wanted. However, ignorance is bliss and in my opinion ... THEY WERE PLAYED

Now the image for Black Americans to acheive is, ... BE a hate/violent talking rap star who thinks women are sex toys .... BE a pro-athelete who spends money life it never ends, and thinks women are sex toys ... BE a black man or woman who thinks this country owes them, and get on government assistence program.

How about BE THIS ... BE taking advantage of all the hard work and blood that was spilled to give you the ability to BE something real and something that gives back. While there are many who do, there are far far to many who do not.

Just my thought on the topic ... guess I am a HATER ... LOL

• snowbird
    snowbird

My late mother would have loved you!

Hard work and giving back are some of the ethics she instilled in her 12 children.

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Now the image for Black Americans to acheive is, ... BE a hate/violent talking rap star who thinks women are sex toys .... BE a pro-athelete who spends money life it never ends, and thinks women are sex toys ... BE a black man or woman who thinks this country owes them, and get on government assistence program.

What Black America are you talking about? I ask because that wasn't the Black America I was raised in nor do I instill those sort of values in my children. Maybe that's what you precieve in whatever tinted glasses you wear but that's not my reality nor the reality of quite a few blacks that I know (you might not know this but there is a black middle class, we don't all live in the hood).

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

No, I think the last thing you did was think. You certainly cherry picked data and ignored others (like suggesting that because they use the same name Republicans today are the same as republicans from 150 years ago without discussing changes in platform and party), you painted entire sections of the population with the same brush, insulted the entire African American community.

I gues the uneducated portion of the population that was duped has very little to with party affiliation or skin color. It just has to do with wanting to hate.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

(you might not know this but there is a black middle class, we don't all live in the hood).

Right. Next you'll be telling me that all Jews aren't tight-fisted shylock bankers controlling the world and making devious plans with the protocols of the elders of zion.

Oh, wait, we aren't. ;)

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    How about BE THIS ... BE taking advantage of all the hard work and blood that was spilled to give you the ability to BE something real and something that gives back. While there are many who do, there are far far to many who do not.

Maybe, or maybe not. But either way you've made some sweeping, incorrect generalizations about millions of people.

(edited)

• free2beme
    free2beme

If I meet one black doctor, it does not change my opinion of how a lot of black people in this country are not taking advantage of the oppertunities that they have. Thanks to people who believed in a hard working person who reaches out to acheive.

Why? Well, it might have something to do with the thousands I work with daily from southern states like North Carolina, Georgia, etc. I want to think to myself, 'This can not be right!' However, I have seen this time and time again. Knowing black people, does not change my opinion, as my black friends agree with me. They feel that far to many black young children are looking to their dreams to come in line with famous black people that are in sports or entertianment. All with terrible, completely terrible views on money, sex and violence.

I think of it this way. People are saying I am speaking of 'all black people', like I am saying I know the minds of every black man and woman in the world. I am looking at this in a slice of population way, in that I am taking all the ones I know and have made contact with. Ones I have spoke too, ones I call friends. This is the data I am pulling from. Just because it does not come in line with others, does not shock me. If you saw what I saw, hear what I hear and know what I know ... you might find yourself understanding.

I did expect someone who was black saying 'you just do not know the right black people' etc. It would be a expected defensive stance, if you did not grasp what I was saying. However, as I said ... this is the image I see and who I meet. Want to change my mind, then change the stats. Change the fact that there are high populations of black americans on public assitence. That blacks make up a large portion of those in prison. That blacks have a high crime rate. Did MLK give the 'Dream' speech to see so much failure among blacks? Did the civil rights movement exist so that blacks could not take advantage of all the oppertunity they have available, to be something more?

No, and it is time it changes. People need to say it, and take a lead. Stand on the shoulders of those who took pain, death and lost blood on your behalf. Do not be silent when you see others not doing what they can, say something! Be a mentor to a young black child, if you are succeeding. Show them the 'Dream' is real, oppertunity exist, and appreciation is a good taste in life.

Again, see me as a HATER for feeling this way. Call me RACIST. The thing is, I simply feel that oppertunities are being lost and people need to push harder to be more.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I guess you didn't comprehend when I said that I don't raise my children with the mindset you believe all black folks in America have.

*checks her skin to make sure she's black cuz according to freebee she can't possibly be*

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I simply feel that oppertunities are being lost and people need to push harder to be more.

Hear, hear!

I'm doing my part; Josie is doing her part; millions of other Black people are also doing their parts.

We don't like what we see, either.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit