Dishonering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

by Dark Side 127 Replies latest social current

• B-Rock
    B-Rock

United They Did Stand at Mall

Predictably, the "Restoring Honor" rally on the National Mall last Saturday has evoked a lot of consternation.

Because the rally explicitly and studiously avoided trumpeting a political agenda, it freed up a lot of people to fill in the blanks themselves. For instance, Greg Sargent of The Washington Post insists it was all a con: "As high-minded as that may sound, the real point of stressing the rally's apolitical goals was political." By leaving the listener to infer an anti-Obama agenda from all of this talk of lost honor, host Glenn Beck was practicing "classic political demagoguery."

So let me get this straight: If Beck had done the opposite, and invited hundreds of thousands of anti-Obama signs, and carved up Obama like a turkey dinner, folks like Sargent would think the rally was less demagogic? Hmmm.

Obviously, Sargent's not entirely wrong about the rally's political resonance. Of course it was a conservative-and-libertarian-tinged event. Of course it would have been impossible without the right-leaning Tea Party movement. Of course the fact that Beck and Sarah Palin managed to attract so many people to the Mall is not a ringing endorsement of the Democrats.

But the partisan implications of the rally aren't that interesting. Nor, really, is the argument that this rally did some grave injury to the memory of Martin Luther King Jr.

One striking feature of Saturday's rally was how deeply religious and ecumenical it was. It seems like just yesterday that everyone was talking about how Christian evangelicals were too bigoted to vote for upright and uptight Mormon Mitt Romney. Yet Christian activists saw no problem cheering for - and praying with - the equally Mormon but far less uptight Beck, who asked citizens to go to "your churches, synagogues and mosques!"

The inclusiveness transcended mere religion. While the crowd was preponderantly white, the message was racially universalistic. That was evident not just on the stage, but in the crowd as well. When Reason TV's Nick Gillespie asked a couple whether as "African-Americans" they felt comfortable in such a white audience, the woman responded emphatically but good-naturedly: "First of all, I'm not African, I am an American . . . a black American." She went on to explain how "these people" - i.e., the white folks cheering her on - "are my family."

I confess, if Beck wasn't a libertarian, I would find his populism worrisome. But his message, flaws and excesses notwithstanding, is that our constitutional heritage defines us as a people, regardless of race, religion or creed. Is that so insulting to Martin Luther King Jr.'s memory?

• designs
    designs

Hell if Jesse Jackson was a Waiter in South Carolina in the 60s its a wonder he didn't piss in the Southerners soup

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Yes, it was a gratifying experience for him.
    Former Black Panther leader Jesse Jackson admitted in a November, 1969 “Life” magazine interview that when he worked as a waiter in a Greenville, South Carolina hotel he spat into the soups and salads of White customers. “[Spitting into the food] gave me a psychological gratification,” Jackson said.

He spit in white people's food in the 1960s???

OMG!!!

And all they were doing to him was stringing up his folks from trees!

How unfair of him! How dare he!

(sarcasim, just in case there is any confusion)

• BurnTheShips
  • journey-on
    journey-on

Burns, there are more and more black people beginning to wake up to what has been done to them in the name of "social justice". They are educated thinking Americans and can see it now with more clarity. Look at every city in America right now that is bankrupt and falling apart. What do they all have in common? They have been run by Democrats for decades.

This woman has awakened and feels the real black power! Amen, sister.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I agree with all of her points. She made them intelligently, fearlessly and forcefully.

To borrow a phrase: "The worm has turned."

BTS

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

yeah, christians are the enemy, they are bigots, that are never ready to forgive and ready to kill

• undercover
    undercover

Al Sharpton and Glenn Beck...

Who the fuck takes either of them clowns serious? Both are opportunistic snake oil salesmen. One uses the civil rights platform to gain fame, the other uses the conservative platfrom to gain fame.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

You are pretty late to the party

Meh. Better late than never.

I'd like to see you post something about the subject of the thread

that sounds like work.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I visited Beck's new website this morning. It confirms my suspicion that he is trying to start a race war.

Calling the President a racist didn't work, so now he's trying another tactic. He just might succeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit