Dishonering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

by Dark Side 127 Replies latest social current

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Bill Cosby has said some harsh truths about the black community.

We lament the lack of role models for young, fatherless black boys - many of their sports heroes are not shining examples. So here is a black entertainer saying some things that perhaps might resonate - and he has been vilified. Is it what he says or how he says it?

A good discussion of this is in A Bound Man by Shelby Steele.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think it's that he said it at all. Some wear this victim mentality like a mantle of honor.

• snowbird
    snowbird

What Cosby says is the unvarnished truth.

How he says it is demeaning and insulting.

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm don't think it was demeaning but I do think it was meant to shame. Shame used to have a power, I'm not sure if it works anymore. Folks can be so shameless and either not be aware how bad it looks or just don't care.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Shame used to have a power ...

Now, that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!

Syl

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    How he says it is demeaning and insulting.

Agreed, Syl, if we're talking about the same remarks. But I always thought he did that to get the attention of the young - meet them halfway at their own level of discourse.

• snowbird
    snowbird

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

I have in mind these remarks made by Cosby on the 50th anniversary of Brown v BOE, Constitution Hall, Washington, DC, in 2004.

If these were meant to engage young people, they were an epic fail.

Syl

• agonus
    agonus

You wanna talk about EPIC FAIL?

Leonard Part 6.

Ghost Dad.

Cosby is evil. End of story.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

LOL Agonus.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If these were meant to engage young people, they were an epic fail.

Even though it seemed to be his focus I don't think his audience at that moment was young people.

His speech did remind me of how I was raised, my siblings and I were required to use proper english at home even when we were at our grandparents. As a result I rarely use ebonics to speak, cannot use it on demand, and it only pops out when I'm highly upset but I've been told it sounds like a mix of of a white girl trying to sound ghetto.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit