Dishonering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

by Dark Side 127 Replies latest social current

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

You bet it is. Following the flock is pretty fucking easy. Thinking for yourself takes some effort

You should try it sometime. Being a mouthbreathing hater is the easiest thing in the world to be.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    In all fairness, Josie, FTBM said he sees a lot of Black people not taking advantage of the opportunities that are available to us now.
    He is absolutely right.
    I see it every day, and it makes me so very sad and angry.
    Syl

Mrs. Jones said

I'd rather focus on the positive and shine a light on the positive for my kids, which is a major reason why I will never live in "the hood".

Sylvia said

I hear you.
    Down here, my daughters and I are fighting to stay above the fray.
    The so-called low-income housing areas are a breeding ground of thugs, drugs, despair, and hopelessness.
    You can see it in the faces of the people who live there.
    It is a day-to-day battle in which we can never lay down our swords.

Syl

Sylvia, I love you, but this bugs me. There is something wrong in this country at the very core. These opportunities are being missed by a large percentage of black Americans. There is more to it. I do not agree with FTBM about a lot of blacks not taking advantage. How can they take advantage of something that they can't even see?? You said it. They aren't even above the fray to know what's there. There is much deeper work to be done in this country than what flippin' Bill Cosby thinks. Though I may admire some of his just do it attitude toward other African Americans, I am utterly disgusted by white people who quote him.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How can they take advantage of something that they can't even see??

Bek, Bek, Bek ...

It can be seen, it is within reach now.

All we have to do is discipline ourselves in order to attain it.

There are some who embrace the lowlife style; they won't have it any other way.

These are the ones who make it difficult for those who are striving to better themselves.

For instance, what do you make of a woman who just had her 32nd birthday and has twelve -12! - children? To my knowledge, she's been married 3 times, and none of those sorry things have jobs. What do you do with people like that?

I realize this sounds harsh, but that's the way it is.

FWIW, despite my feelings on this matter, I'm no fan of Cosby, either.

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Not to pick a fight but what did Bill Cosby say that irked you Sylvia? I understood that Bill Cosby wants the black community to leave behind the victim mentality it wears so well and become more responsible, especially the young within the community.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Imo, some of his comments about poor Black Americans border on taunts and ridicule.

This raises my hackles.

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I can't speak for Sylvia, but me personally when it comes to Bill Cosby, he needs to STFU. He's a comedian/entertainer/actor. Thats what he needs to continue to do. Nobody asked him his opinion on the black community. Nobody nominated him to be head of the African American Youth Culture Critic Society.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

But he has the right as a black man to voice his opinion about his own community, right? Bill Cosby wasn't born with a spoon in his mouth, he came from the hood too. No matter how much money he may have made he's still a black man in America. Why should he not say that we can do better? Have you read one of his speeches? They're online and here's a link to one: http://www.scribd.com/doc/419364/Bill-Cosbys-Speech-About-Black-People-Holding-Themselves-to-a-Higher-Standards-Rather-Than-Lamenting-About-White-Atrocities

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    There are some who embrace the lowlife style; they won't have it any other way.
    These are the ones who make it difficult for those who are striving to better themselves.
    For instance, what do you make of a woman who just had her 32nd birthday and has twelve -12! - children? To my knowledge, she's been married 3 times, and none of those sorry things have jobs. What do you do with people like that?

This lady is loving her life? She 'wouldn't have it any other way?'

I don't know they lady, but I'd be willing to bet a hefty sum that she would rather have a college education, a professional job, live in a nice neighborhood and things like that. I would also be willing to bet that she had her first child around the age of 15 or 16, never graduated from high school, and has never been very far outside her neighborhood and that her mother gave birth to her in similar circumstances.

What DO you do with people like that? What do you do with her children?

Educate them!

• Ri
    Ri

Didn't Martin Luther King change the attitute of White People toward the Black Race for the good already? You need to stop living in the past and go forward with your life. People like Sharpton should STFU ...he is a race baiter and EGO MANIC

• snowbird
    snowbird

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa ...

As a child, this woman refused to go to school, ran away from home, did/sold drugs, prostituted herself, the whole nine yards.

There are three housing projects here; she has lived in and been evicted from ALL of them.

She has been suspected of prostituting her daughters, refuses to send any of her children to school; right now, the State is in the process of removing them from her care.

Tell me, how do you break this cycle?

How can you educate someone who refuses to be educated?

How?

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit