Atheists - Do you ever talk to God?

by AK - Jeff 94 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Hmmm. Possibilianism. Interesting thought, OM. Thanx for sharing.

Yes, CJ, that would be the general consensus. But total shedding of the concept takes more than a moment in which we accept it as a rational choice I think.

Dandingus - thank you for sharing your experience. You have summed up my emotions on the matter. I have not done that while drunk - but I have done that.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If God were actually omniscient, omnipotent, and ubiquitous, then our thoughts would be known and prayer would really be unnecessary. There are scriptures that indicate that God knows what is on our minds and tongues. (Someone else can search for them.)

If God were not there, of course prayer is a wee bit more than unnecessary.

Prayer can be the voice we need to utter (if only silently to the One not answering) to reveal our deepest feelings and thoughts. It takes the place of self therapy (which may take the place of actual psychotherapy).

If the One is not there, we still might be calling out to the universe to show our outrage at it or our curiosity or our fear or etc.....

Notice this article on the strange practice of displaying prayer flags: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_flag
    Of note is the part that says:

Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags do not carry prayers to 'gods,' a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. Therefore, prayer flags are thought to bring benefit to all.

By hanging flags in high places the "Wind Horse" will carry the blessings depicted on the flags to all beings. As wind passes over the surface of the flags which are sensitive to the slightest movement of the wind, the air is purified and sanctified by the Mantras.

We may just be joining the chorus of spreading our thoughts or our karma or whatever, despite our assuredness that it doesn't work that way. Enough positivity in the world will be contageous, conversely we may feel that enough outrage in the world may be contageous also and that people will wake up.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

On that note, OTWO, perhaps we could coin a new expression - "Positive Outrage"?

The term would normally carry status as oxymoron, but given the context of spreading outrage over the misconception about God, doing so with positive energy, showing that it is not God, or particularly the 'godly' who contagiously spread happiness, peace, and hope. The world is a better place already as a direct result of millions of atheists and the humanitarian spirit that often flourishes within the free mind. As the atheist population grows exponentially, we can only hope, as we spread positive outrage, that the world will grow and become better when free of the object of our outrage?

Amen to that atheist' prayer!

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thank God for Atheism.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

For every good atheist, one can find a bad one and for every good "believer" one can find a bad one.

There is goodness in all people and there is also great potential for darkness.

Sometimes a religion can stave off the darkness and sometimes it can spur it on, samething for atheisim.

Lets not say things like "The world is a better place already as a direct result of millions of atheists and the humanitarian spirit that often flourishes within the free mind.", for it insinuates that religious people don't make the world a better place and we ALL KNOW that is not the case.

There is MUCH wrong with religion, just as there is much wrong with atheism and that "much" is one in the same: people.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Lets not say things like "The world is a better place already as a direct result of millions of atheists and the humanitarian spirit that often flourishes within the free mind.", for it insinuates that religious people don't make the world a better place and we ALL KNOW that is not the case.

Not true PSac. There is no insinuation that religious people can't join our great humanitarian efforts. It is only to say that atheists are already a very committed part of such, and unlike most religionists, often hold a hand of welcome to those who differ in their opinion. Indeed - religious division is part and parcel of many of the roadblocks to peace on this planet.

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am tempted to poitn out ALL the good that Christians ( to name only one group) have done and continue to do to this very day, but you know that already Jeff, before "atheisim" and "free mind" was fashionable, Christians were taking care of their fellow man.

But you know this already so I think I am missing your point here...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Long before Christianity, mankind was caring for themselves, helping others, in humanitarian fashion.

I take a bit of offense at the suggestion that Atheism has anything whatsover to do with 'fashionable' opinion. The fact is: where I live it is far from 'fashionable' - I, as well as millions of Atheists, have chosen to reject god because he simply does not exist. Not because of a fashion statement.

Jeff

• AGuest
    AGuest

I couldn't ascribe to atheism any more than I could to religion... or "christianity" (as the world knows it), dear AK-Jeff (peace to you!)... for the same reason, as evidenced here: they both ridicule, malign, spread hate, and do more harm than good to those who are not "like" them. They are one and the same to me, with the only difference being that one professes a belief in a god, gods, higher beings, consciousnessess, and the like... and one does not. But both produce the same "fruit": "I am better than my fellow man who does not believe as I do... and anyone who does not agree with me... is stupid, ignorant... and unworthy."

Even if the True God did not exist, if the Most Holy One of Israel were in fact not a reality... I could not... WOULD not... serve a god... or godless ideology... that believes such bull-pucky. They are both extremes, opposites on the same dang pole. And those who follow them are worse than the most extreme zealot (for those who don't believe)... and the most extreme atheist (for those who say they do)... because they are hypocrites, both: condemning one another for doing the EXACT same things, just under different "color"... while lying to themselves... and those who listen to and follow them... that they are not.

BOTH groups lie to themselves and on others... yet, point fingers away as if they do not. BOTH call the other "crazy" - yet, both demonstrate extremes, unreasonableness, and irrationality. BOTH create lies and false propaganda to support their beliefs or lack thereof. Neither deal in absolute truths... yet, both claim to possess it.

One is black... while the other is white. One is white, while the other is black. Yet, both are either absolutely devoid of color... or contain colors so muddy and muddled they cannot be discerned.

Some religious people oppress their fellow man because they say it is what "God" "wants" them to do. Some atheists oppress their fellow man because they say there is NO God, and so who can stop them.

Both... fatigue my mind, heart, soul... and spirit...

SO... I will gather what pearls I have left... and be on my way. Because there is not more reasoning with those who are devoid of God (at least, here)... than there is with those who consider themselves "full" of one.

Again, I bid you all peace.

A slave of Christ, who did not push religion but, indeed, condemned it...

SA

• tec
    tec

It is only to say that atheists are already a very committed part of such, and unlike most religionists, often hold a hand of welcome to those who differ in their opinion. Indeed - religious division is part and parcel of many of the roadblocks to peace on this planet.

May I just add that governments and leaders who have used religion (now and in the past) to further their personal and political ambitions are atheists. PSac is right. Atheists can be and/or are good and bad.

With or without religion, those same people would find something to exploit to further their ends.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit