Atheists - Do you ever talk to God?

by AK - Jeff 94 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    Yeah, but is your sofa a Lazyboy, that's the question !

haha yes it just sits there and I do all the work :-)

• ziddina
    ziddina

AGuest, you stated,

"and direct descendants of Shem, son of Noah. Who is a direct descendant of Jacob (aka "Israel)..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story of Noah PRECEDES the story of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob by many generations.

The "flood of Noah" precedes the "tower of Babel" in the bible, which precedes "Abraham's" story - which would make Shem a PREDECESSOR of Jacob, not his 'descendant'...

As to your other comment,

"If, however, your Sumerian goddess is portrayed through you, through what you've posted here, then I have to say that I

am quite glad to know nothing of her. Translation: I am not all that impressed by what I see of her... through you..."

It was SATIRE, Dear AGuest - may you gain enlightenment - ever heard of it??

Zid

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Dear OTWO, I do have a response, but I need you and/or dear AK-Jeff to tell me whether I should respond elsewhere or here (or even at all).

If AK-Jeff has questions or comments, feel free to continue communicating. As for me, I must choose 'not even at all.' I respect believers and their thoughts, but I don't think I can take, with any seriousness, attempts to 'reason' with me from those that say the spirit directs/talks to/converses with or anything like that very well.

I know I am taking my last digs at you, so feel free to get the last word in afterward if you want to. Any further I have to say here will be directed to Jeff or others.

Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who

We'll be fighting in the streets
    With our children at our feet
    And the morals that they worship will be gone
    And the men who spurred us on
    Sit in judgment of all wrong
    They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around me
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    And I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again
    Don't get fooled again

Change it had to come
    We knew it all along
    We were liberated from the fall that's all
    But the world looks just the same
    And history ain't changed
    'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
    And I'll get on my knees and pray
    Don't get fooled again
    No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
    If we happen to be left half alive
    I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
    For I know that the hypnotized never lie

Do ya?

There's nothing in the street
    Looks any different to me
    And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
    And the parting on the left
    Is now the parting on the right
    And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
    Then I'll get on my knees and pray
    Don't get fooled again
    No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss

• flipper
    flipper

AK- JEFF- I consider myself an agnostic/ possible atheist. I never talk to God or some entity in the sky, due to my belief that It , He, or She doesn't exist. However- I DO talk to myself a lot ! LOL ! Does that count ? And my wife talks in her sleep a lot ! LOL ! We really are a different kind of couple

• undercover
    undercover

Never really talked to God but I have sung to Jesus (and if you believe in the Trinity, I guess that's the same thing):

I saw you sittin' there
    I was tryin' not to stare
    I wasn't sure if it was you
    I didn't know just what to do

Are you drinkin' with me Jesus
    I can't see you very clear
    Are you drinkin' with me Jesus
    Would you buy a friend a beer

As I nestled on my barstool
    I felt your warmness within
    I looked down at my pants
    That wasn't warmness
    I wet myself again

Does your head pound, Jesus
    As hung over you do rise
    How does paradise look, Jesus
    Through holy bloodshot eyes

Should we take a cab home Jesus
    Shit, man, we can hoof it from here
    I know you can walk on the water
    But can you walk on this much beer

• ziddina
    ziddina

Haw, Haw, UnderCover!!! That's good!! Who's the artist???

Waitasec, YOU wrote that?? Can you post a YouTube of the song?? Please???

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

This is a good thread. Good to read the experience from fellow atheists.

As soon as I made up my mind that I didn't believe in a god the after product was depression. Didn't last long though as I strived to better myself. It feels good to achieve so many things after people have told you that without god you are nothing and can not achieve anything. That is another aspect that made my conviction stronger.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Bender: "So, do you know what I'm gonna do before I do it?"
    God: "Yes."
    Bender: "What if I do something different?"
    God: "Then I don't know that."

Bender: "I was God once."
    God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

God: "Bender, being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you. And if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket."
    Bender: "Or a guy who burns down a bar for the insurance money!"
    God: "Yes, if you make it look like an electrical thing. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

haha

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hey AK- Jeff and OTWO

I enjoy your logic and reasoning on this thread. It's irrefutable. That's why I like atheist so much! :-) Now if I could only stop writing with so many exclamation marks like the WTBTS taught me, then I will be well on my way in life's journey (towards death).

I revisit anger now and then. It's not so much directed at God as it is towards the Godlike powers that be who created him in their image and forced him upon me in my childhood and young adulthood (through the power of shunning). Then I remember that I'm free now and they are still trapped in the delusion, so perhaps they are the greater victims and why be mad at victims?

Then I think of that line from "Bobby McGee", "freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose"... and anger turns to depression. lol. Ignorance is bliss, etc, etc.

Yep, thinking about God is a no win proposition no matter which side of the debate you take, believer or unbeliever. So while acknowledging the wasted time, I also acknowledge the inevitability of every one's time marching towards death, so what does it matter that much how we spent it?) Well, it matters and it doesn't. The past doesn't matter at all, because we can't change it, but the present matters quite a bit because we have the power to impact that immensely within our own sphere of influence, whatever that may be for us individually.

I try to let it go and not take it too seriously. I've come to the conclusion that the universe and everything in it cares naught a bit for my anger or happiness. I, on the other hand, do, so letting anger go and focusing on the present moment and what I can do, within my power to make this day a pleasant and worthwhile one for myself and those I care about, usually ends up being the better choice than spending my day angrily screaming at a God who doesn't exist. Screaming at him just seems to feed him and keep him alive. If only in the mind...which is the only place he really ever was alive.

Cog

• jam
    jam

Guy Harrison stated. Atheism is not a conscious act of turning away from all Gods..It is simple the

final destination for those who think..You will be pleased to discover that the sky does not fall down on your head.

Isaac Asimov; Article(on Religiosity) Although the time of death is approaching me I am not afraid of dying and

going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven

I expect death to be nothingness, and for removing me from all possible fears of death. I am thankful to

Atheism..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit