Disrespect of the Bible

by brotherdan 127 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Touche' Psac.

And welcome to the post Balsam. You must be Kabbalist? Hence G-d?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Where does the bible say that the earth is flat? All I know of is it saying it is a circle and hangs upon nothing. Be happy to give you the biblical ref's if you want.

I'll let you Google this topic. You may be surprised.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I believe there is a poster here who's SN is asphereisnotacircle (or vice versa).

It really comes down to that. Many bible passages reveal that the bible writers thought the earth was flat, had limits or ends, and some of the bible writers had conflicting ideas about whether the earth had "foundations" or whether it "hung upon nothing". In this instance, there is a perfectly good Hebrew word for "ball" or sphere - if that was what the bible writer wanted to convey, he would have used that rather than "circle", or flat disk.

This was the impression the bible writers had, and thus the impression the early church had, which is why they opposed round-earth heresy so vehemently - it directly contradicts the biblical account.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I'm not sure if the Hebrews had a word for sphere at that time. But I'm not sure about that. A circle is implied when describing a sphere. Generally if you were asked what shape an apple is, you could say it was circular and not have anyone have an issue. If you want to get technical then you can say it's a sphere. But it seems to be a lame argument to me.

• mrsjones5
  • changeling
    changeling

You said:

"However, guys...there is truth out there. Everything is not a strange mystery that no one will understand. It takes more faith to believe in something like evolution than it does to have faith in the Bible. The leaps and bounds you have to assume to compensate for the lack of a God are more than what you have to accept from the Bible. This is very well documented in a book by Norman Geisler in "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist". It examines what science knows and doesn't and what the Bible can prove and what it can't and compares which requires more faith to believe.

If Jesus does not exist and did not die for our sins, then we are helpless, hopeless, and lost for all time. I can't imagine feeling like that. There are too many things that the Bible got right that it could not have gotten right unless it was inspired for me to just throw it all away.They bring up supposed contradictions. They bring up the horrible things done in the name of religion to back up claims that there is no way to get close to God."

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but: Yes "there is truth out there", but does this mean it's an absolute truth as in "the Bible says so, so it's true"?

And since when is evolution to be taken on "faith"? It's about science, provable facts, not faith. Once you trully understand the concept and science of evolution you will see it clear as day and you will notice evidence of it all around you. No faith required.

And why are we "hopeless" and "lost for all time" w/o Jesus? I think you're projecting your feelings onto the rest of us. While they are real to you, they are just that: "feelings". There are many non-christian religions that offer people a sense of hope and purpose, as well as many unbelievers who find these in life itself. No Jesus needed.

I too, think the Bible has some very good advice, such as "the golden rule", but I don't believe it or any other book is inspired by a being higher than humans. I don't think that saying as much is disrespectful and my intent is not to offend.

changeling - the happy atheist :)

• superpunk
    superpunk

The Hebrews did have a word for sphere, or ball;

Duwr

Isaiah even used this word in chapter 22 verse 18.

Their word for circle, Chuwg, is the one he used in chapter 40. In the bible, this always refers to a circle as scribed with a compass - a flat disk. The bible is consistent in it's representation of the earth as flat.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

However, guys...there is truth out there.

Like Obi-wan said...the truth greatly depends on your point of view...

It takes more faith to believe in something like evolution than it does to have faith in the Bible.

I suppose that depends on what you know. Don't project what you are thinking onto everyone else.

If Jesus does not exist and did not die for our sins, then we are helpless, hopeless, and lost for all time.

The lord helps those that help themselves.

There are too many things that the Bible got right that it could not have gotten right unless it was inspired for me to just throw it all away.

Such as?

They bring up supposed contradictions.

There are many and real.

For example, if evolution is true then how to you get information from non information?

Can you clarify how that relates to evolution or abiogenesis.

Accepting the idea that matter can come from non matter, then how does information systems come from no info systems?

Those two things are related in the way that you think.

So with that being said, if one was to look at proof of a lack of God from a purely scientific point of view, there is not enough evidence to support it.

You can't prove a negative.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Interesting. I'll check it out.

• changeling
    changeling

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

Above is a great site for understanding evolution. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit