Disrespect of the Bible

by brotherdan 127 Replies latest jw friends

• superpunk
    superpunk

I still need to watch that youtube series lwt after your glowing recommendation.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Drunk...no

Meds...er...well...aren't we all?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

brotherdan: If, at some point in the future, you'd like to also participate in an ex-JW forum with Bible-believing members, Channel C is such a forum. From the threads that I've read, many of the participants still hold to many of the JW beliefs (or slight variations thereof).

Channel C Forum

http://www.channelc.org/ChCForum/forum/index.php?action=main&forumid=1

• superpunk
    superpunk

Superpunk, I deduced your lack of bible knowledge based on your past posts about it. If it looks like a dog and smells like a dog... it's probably Outlaw

Please don't confuse my dismissal of ridiculous biblical apologetics with ignorance. I simply realize (upon such examination) that biblical apologetics are made of the same stuff as WT apologetics.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Drunk...no
    Meds...er...well...aren't we all?.....BrotherDan

Thats what I thought..

No,not everyone is on medication..

You were very obvious with your contradictory post..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I still have a love for the Bible and my faith in God is intact despite the WTBS ...

Nowadays though I have learned to respect others' views and beliefs and see how wrong 'judging' others is....its taken me a while...but I do believe its more Christlike....

Loz x

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

brotherdan: As you continue to interact with non-believers and believers of a different faith than yourself, you may discover that a study of Critical Thinking Skills and a working knowledge of Logical Fallacies are helpful to a productive dialogue. Examining these topics is not something WT encouraged any of us to do.

Critical Thinking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OLPL5p0fMg

List of Logical Fallacies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Tips on Avoiding Logical Fallacies

http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/fallacies.html

• Liberty
    Liberty

I'm not here to give you flack, I just enjoy the free market of ideas now available since I am no longer under the Watch Tower's control. I respect/disrespect the Bible in the same way that I do the Book of Mormon, Koran, or any other books which claim to be God's revealed Word. Each and every book which has people making such claims to their greatness should be subject to the most skeptical reviews if compared in the same realm as scientific conclusions. To the best of my knowledge, scientists who write books and propose theories do not claim that they are God's direct words and that disagreeing with these ideas will condemn us to death and/or eternal punishments.

Faith and science are mutually exclusive. Skeptics do not accept evolution because of faith but rather because of a preponderance of the evidence, if new evidence is presented then the theoretical paradigm must be changed to reflect this. Faith and religions are not changed by the rules of evidence. You do not yet understand scientific method because you are still steeped in the rules of faith and the JW religion. You cannot apply faith to science and you need to clarify in your own mind that you understand the scientific method before you can honestly discuss whether evolution or any other scientific conclusions are "wrong".

I am not trying to be a smart ass, I am just warning you that you are way out of your league because you have not educated yourself with the rules needed for such a debate. This is not your fault since the Watch Tower teaches that they provide their followers with the proper tools to prove that their religion is compatable with "real" science, however you already suspect that the Watch Tower leadership doesn't have a clue when it comes to teaching "truth". Keep this in mind always as you explore your new found freedom of thought. You are destined for a long and interesting journey of discovery.

• wobble
    wobble

I am with you there Brotherdan,

about the ex-winesses to a great degree.

I know that a lot of JW's, I would say the majority, are lazy, not just with reading and research, but with thinking too, which of course the WT encourages, so as to have full control ,of minds, hearts and wallets.

When they leave they are still lazy in this way, so they are prey to all sorts of silliness.

Faith, as demonstrated by the religious, is not something I set great store by, it is not of value,as it has no basis in fact or reality.

I prefer to live in the real world rather than La La Land, it is not the easiest course, you have to be strong to face up to reality, but at least you do not fall under the control of unscrupulous people.

Nobody "tells" me what is right and wrong, or what I have to do, I have to decide these things for myself, but once decided, I would have to deny myself to go against my moral principles, become someone else, that is a better guide than an imposed set of rules.

Religious people seem to find it easy to go against what they are supposed to believe in.

Blind faith is worthless. Yes, it is possible to believe in something we cannot prove, but that thing should be for good reasons and because of facts and evidence that support the belief, that is not blind faith, but religious faith is blind.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

More than 100 years ao, Robert J. Ingersoll gave an explanation of why he considered himself to be an agnostic. His essay, linked below, remains one of my favorite essays on the topic. In summary, he says that he cannot love the inconceivable, but he can love his family and those around him.

Why I Am an Agnostic

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/ingag.htm

Another author who often spoke of Religion/Church/Faith is Mark Twain. He died decades before you and I were born, and yet many of his observation seem fresh and relevant to our generation. Below are a few.

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. I would not interfere with any one's religion, either to strengthen it or to weaken it. I am not able to believe one's religion can affect his hereafter one way or the other, no matter what that religion may be. But it may easily be a great comfort to him in this life--hence it is a valuable possession to him.
    - Mark Twain, a Biography

We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.
    - Following the Equator

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
    -- Mark Twain, quoted from Barbara Schmidt, ed., Mark Twain Quotations, Newspaper Collections, & Related Resources

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit