Disrespect of the Bible

by brotherdan 127 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that people like to label OTHER people and if you are not a "hard nosed fundmentalist" that must mean you are a liberal, LOL !
    Jesus of course was a liberal, just ask any pharisee, l so I guess we are in good company :)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSac -- Was it personal revelation or Science that caused you to reject the idea of a flat earth, as stated in Scripture?

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Brotherdan, I wanted to let you know that I'm not upset with you over your post. But I did think you were teetering a bit close to the line, and so I had something to say about that. Like others have mentioned, this isn't the KH. I wouldn't want to see you attacked on the board for stating an opinion like that--at worst, you should only be attacked if you attacked first. And I wouldn't say that you attacked us, though I didn't like some of the directions you were going. Like you, I was just speaking up. I tried to be honest, not accusatory or overly reactionary in my response.

I did want to mention one other thing. I actually think people ask for too much respect when it comes to holy things, or even their ideas/opinions about those holy things or beliefs. If we can't criticize them, then we can't discuss them fully. And if they matter, we should be able to discuss them. That's how I feel about it at least.

Religion influences people's thinking, even how they vote. So I honestly don't feel that people can ask us to go "hands off" with holy matters. This may sound mean, but in my experience, when people ask for respect for their religion, they're usually asking for deference--not respect. To me, beliefs are just opinions with a lot emotion behind them. And beliefs can be wrong, both factually and--by the standards of others--morally. Everyone should have the right to point that out object. Likewise, we can't ask everyone to see our holy things as holy. That's just not how it works.

Beliefs do not have feelings or rights; people have feelings and rights, but their opinions must earn respect from others. When we ask for deference/respect simply because someone somewhere thinks something is holy, I believe we are really asking others to put our opinions above their rights to speak out and object. I'm not comfortable doing that to others, even if my feelings get hurt in the process. I would even say we are being a bit too sensitive if we ask this, and we should learn to handle criticism of our beliefs better.

I'm not saying that to be mean, only pointing out that holy things are part of a much larger world. One man's holy thing is another man's no-big-deal. Ultimately, it is not the holy thing that is being hurt by criticism; it is the feelings of those who see it as holy. And those believers must learn to cope if they wish to interact with others. Don't put your holy thing out there to the world and then demand that no one should criticise. Someone may even point at it and laugh! We need thicker skins than that.

My JW inlaws often use this excuse to hide from criticism. Not saying that's what you're doing, but several have tried it when I complain about their attempts to reconvert me. Should I be their punching bag and let them ramble on and on about the WTS and Jehovah at my expense? Should I let them use the Bible to whack me over the head whenever they quote from it? Or should I stand up for myself an point out the problems, the flaws, and how none of it is sacred to me? Again, not trying to be mean, only putting the ideas out there and hoping you will see where we critics are coming from.

So I can't agree with you on this. But I'm not mad about it or at you. Peace! Oh, and sorry for so many long posts.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSac -- Was it personal revelation or Science that caused you to reject the idea of a flat earth, as stated in Scripture?

Well, whenever science proves something that seems to contridict the bible it is our job as believers to reconciel that with scripture and try to understand what was written.

Now, its a lot easier than it sounds since the majority of people understand the bible to NOT BE a book of science.

So, to answer your question, science caused me to reject that the earth was flat and to accept evolution, and personal revelation allowed me to reconcile these things with my knowledge of God ( not to hard to do in those cases though).

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    So, to answer your question, science caused me to reject that the earth was flat and to accept evolution, and personal revelation allowed me to reconcile these things with my knowledge of God ( not to hard to do in those cases though).

I can accept that, as it seems like the honset thing to do. Perry and DD might want some further clarification. Perhaps the Devil has overtaken you.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Where does the bible say that the earth is flat? All I know of is it saying it is a circle and hangs upon nothing. Be happy to give you the biblical ref's if you want.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I appreciate the Jewish tradition of questioning G-d, we find it in Job, King David, even Solomon and other books like Jeremiah. It was ok and even acceptable to argue with G-d. I think the Jewish traditions are spot on when it comes to belief in a divine spirit called G-d.

Christians have become so anal in believing that every word in the bible translations we have to day to be God breathed and it is just not reasonable or rational. Fact is we don't orginal writings we have copies of copies of copies or copies that were translated into our language. We should question everything and the G-d of the Jewish people welcomed that.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Perhaps the Devil has overtaken you.

That would explain my sudden desire for redheads and spicy food !

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Balsam,

scripture tells us the "test everything", ie: question.

If we don't that is our fault.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Where does the bible say that the earth is flat? All I know of is it saying it is a circle and hangs upon nothing. Be happy to give you the biblical ref's if you want.

Know many circles that are in 3D?

;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit