Disrespect of the Bible

by brotherdan 127 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Generally if you were asked what shape an apple is, you could say it was circular and not have anyone have an issue.

Dude. Really? If that was on a test, you would fail. God can't pass 1st grade geometry?

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear brotherdan...

I have read what you've said on this thread about disrespect for the bible and disrespect for anything holy and I would like to add that I also notice a disrespect for anything blessed...I wonder why?

the bible foretells a time:

For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
    And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
    But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create;
    For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing,
    And her people a joy.
    I will rejoice in Jerusalem,
    And joy in My people;
    The voice of weeping shall no longer be heard in her,
    Nor the voice of crying.
    “ No more shall an infant from there live but a few days,
    Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days;
    For the child shall die one hundred years old,
    But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed.
    They shall build houses and inhabit them;
    They shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
    They shall not build and another inhabit;
    They shall not plant and another eat;
    For as the days of a tree, so shall be the days of My people,
    And My elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
    They shall not labor in vain,
    Nor bring forth children for trouble;
    For they shall be the descendants of the blessed of the LORD,
    And their offspring with them.
    “ It shall come to pass
    That before they call, I will answer;
    And while they are still speaking, I will hear.
    The wolf and the lamb shall feed together,
    The lion shall eat straw like the ox,
    And dust shall be the serpent’s food.
    They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain,”
    Says the LORD. (isaiah 65:17-25)

THIS will be a blessed time for the people of God...

I wonder why some people who have read this text feel that it is not a truth that is possible...I wonder if they don't want it or they don't have the desire to see it accomplished...because it is a work that has to be done...it wont just happen...people have to work in concert with God for this to happen...wouldn't it be blessed if we could wake up in the morning and know that today is the day that we are going to build a good sturdy house for Arimayau Ibrahim in Ghana and buddy down the street is going to put his hands to building a hospital and another a park for the children to play in...wouldn't it be blessed to have that kind of work?...as long as we are divided on our outlook for the future we will not get where we want to be. I think that there is a unwillingness to work for this kind of future because it does involve a giving of oneself and a "killing" of our own selfish desires...it requires a being "present" in the knowledge that it can and will happen...like a goal that you work toward, you have to reach for it or it will fall by the way. Jesus said that we are like lost sheep. In a way we don't know that this is where we should be for the good of everyone. The bible relates that we have each gone our own way...many do want the earth and the people to be in this blessed state but they want to work toward it in their own way...they fight against God's way...the only way that He has blessed.

I wonder why some people not only reject the notion of God and the notion of the bible being a word from God and everything that has been promised and they even seem to enjoy rejecting the people that tell of these promises. These people are only trying to be a blessing to those that they share this message with because they know that being "present" in this knowledge does bring peace and hope for the future...peace and hope that is not found in "the world". I know someone, I'll call him T. He has sent me many of his works...I thoroughly enjoy receiving new works and I find myself encouraging him in his work and other endeavors that he engages in. I ask about how he's doing and I have only wished and hoped the very best for him and his family. Somewhere and for some reason there has been a comeplete breakdown in our communication though...I use the word communication because it means a kind of reciprocity(to me)...T's character is such that he finds it distasteful to show any reciprocity towards me...in any way. I have shared experiences with him that brought me great joy...for instance my son had been working to restore and costumize a truck for two years and when he was done he and his boss were invited to sema in vegas and while they were there they were approached by truckin magazine and to make a long story short they were featured in truckin magazine! I had asked T to share in my joy in my sons accomplishments and have a peek in the magazine as it was out on shelves at that time. He said he would rather watch grass grow than look at that magazine. I've shared my gardening "adventures" with him, I have shared much with him...he couldn't care less. I find this very hurtful on a very basic level...he doesn't even want to be "present" in todays blessings...unless, I suppose, those blessings directly relate to blessings bestowed on him in the form of encouragement, congratulations etc. I would really like to know how we have come to this breakdown in communication...because I am at a loss as to how to repair it. I think it is worth the effort it will take to bring restoration. I would consider it a blessing, in fact.

When I wish to visit this site I generally just click on a link that is saved in my favorites...the one "link" that is under my "curser arrow" everytime is this one: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/149528/3/How-do-angels-and-demons-influence-mankind ...it always makes me wonder what kind of characters I'll meet here on my "adventure" that is today...

love to everyone...michelle

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

I have to say I am just floored at the arguments for why the bible deserves respect. In reality it deserves no more respect than any other work of fiction in libraries across the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxE7OOl6Qo

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Where does the bible say that the earth is flat? All I know of is it saying it is a circle

I worked that one out when I was about nine years old. I knew Dad's explanation was shonky, you just didn't say it to his face. I never did get baptised.

• tec
    tec

The lord helps those that help themselves.

Pretty sure that's not in the bible. Just saying, NVL :)

Tammy

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

tldnr

Ummm - is this disrespectful?

• wobble
    wobble

Not really Justn,

Only about 0.00000001% of JW's ever read the whole Bible cover to cover, and the were Gilead grads, because they had to.

Most Christians have read less.

• villabolo
    villabolo

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. (Deuteronomy 25:11,12; New International Version)

WHY SHOULD ANY MORAL PERSON RESPECT THIS?!

VILLABOLO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit