Disrespect of the Bible

by brotherdan 127 Replies latest jw friends

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I am really bothered by the treacherous heart concept, as if the way I feel about something is not valid if it questions the creator/activities.

for example the bible is full of genocide. Why is it terrible for humans and not for god? and if your going to execute someone and your capable of doing it quickly/humanely and you don't why? and if theres really some big plan and we're being tested or whatever help us out here give us a clue.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, I am aware that a large amount of liberal Christians have adopted the evolution theory. Since I believe totally and completely in the Bible, I don't agree with them. I support the arguments for a young earth, and think they have a valid argument. I think alot has seeped into modern Christianity today that should not have. The emergent church really seems to be going off on a very unbiblical course.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

RE: God and Genocide.

We need to undersatnd ancient man to understand HIS concept of God and what "God wants".

Ancient man beleived that God willed everythign so when ancient man decided to invade or go to war with his neighbours, he prayed to God to help him, if they won, God was on their side and whatever happened during and after was "God's will".

If they lost, God was unhappy with them and they were punished.

God didn't kill anyone, but ancient man needed to explain to himself WHY things happened to him or his neighbours, if it was good stuff, God was happy, if it was bad stuff, God was angry and jealous and vengeful.

Accordingly, ancient man passed on these views down the generations.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Have there been any posts lately about this, Psac? I'd like to get other Christians opinions on why God allowed genocide and slavery in ancient times.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Yeah, I am aware that a large amount of liberal Christians have adopted the evolution theory. Since I believe totally and completely in the Bible, I don't agree with them. I support the arguments for a young earth, and think they have a valid argument. I think alot has seeped into modern Christianity today that should not have. The emergent church really seems to be going off on a very unbiblical course.

Throughout history, the Church has said similar things about scientific concepts like heliocentricism, round earth and gravity. I, for one, am glad that Christianity is moving away from that sort of rigid attachment to their perception of ancient writings.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I know others agree with you superpunk. That's why there are so many liberal Christians right now.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Well, it can't be denied that such a rigid attachment to biblical literalism, even in just the examples I mentioned, has served as a hindrance to the progress of humanity.

So if progressive Christianity is moving away from that sort of literalism, I don't see how that can be considered a bad thing.

Honestly, in 10 or 20 years we will consider conservative Christianity's claims that evolution is heretical just as silly as looking back and seeing the Church imprison scientists for daring to suggest that the earth was not the center of the universe.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Have there been any posts lately about this, Psac? I'd like to get other Christians opinions on why God allowed genocide and slavery in ancient times.

I don't know if there have been any posts about i.

If we are to reconcile the God of the NT with the God of the OT ( not that they are different gods of course) we must understand what was written in the OT, By whom and WHY and under what influence.

If God is a God of love and God's love is far above ours and if US as lowly humans can see the injustice of Genocide and infanticide, then surely God would not have condoned these things, much less comanded them.

I mean, that would make us have superiour morals than Gd and if not us, at least Jesus.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you believe the Earth is round, rather than flat (as stated in Scripture), does this make you a 'Liberal' Christian?

• superpunk
    superpunk

If you believe the Earth is round, rather than flat (as stated in Scripture), does this make you a 'Liberal' Christian?

It would appear to be relative to the time period you lived in.

For instance, what was considered rebellious by our parents and grandparents would now be considered quaint and conservative.

Oh, KISS, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, AC/DC?

Please....tame as hell. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit