Disrespect of the Bible

by brotherdan 127 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    The key word in my early posts on this topic was "TREND". I was not accusing anyone. I just noticed the trend.

Yes, you just noticed the trend. But actually this 'trend' has been going on for some time. You've just now noticed it and are starting to form thoughts and opinions. Nothing wrong there.

It's interesting how, as JWs, we thought we knew so much, but when we became free of it, we realized just how ignorant we really were. But we have to start somewhere to learn. You're doing okay. Just be honest with yourself and you'll do fine.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

BrotherDan..

Maybe the Bible is absolutely false and made up of lies created by men. But this does not mean that we trample on people that believe in it.

This is the Premise of your thread..You repeat it throughout your thread..

There are many including myself who do not believe in the bible..There are very few who trample on it..

You paint with a very large brush..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• zoiks
    zoiks

Good thread, and a good spirited exchange of ideas. Ah, sweet freedom

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

The Bible is a book which needs to be analysed in the same manner as any other book which purports to relay an accurate history.

It can't stand on it's own, but for every statement made where it says X happened at Y time in location Z, we have to ask:

1. Is Z a real location?

Point it out on a map.

2. Did X happen?

How do you know?

3. Did X happen at time Y?

How do you know?

Too, it needs to be understood that this document can't be immediately accepted as some divine communication. That's later if ever.

Each portion needs to be examined. If there are alternate explanations, these need to be listed.

At the end you'll have a choice-path for playing historical-connect-the-dots and each point you connect will have a objective veracity rating.

To abandon reason is not the solution.

God exists or he doesn't.

The Bible is divinely inspired in part, in whole, or not at all.

No matter all that, the motivation to decide to play connect-the-dots one way or another comes from the self.

As for me, I finally decided after what seems to have been too long to me, that every apologetic for the permission of what I call evil by any deity to be weak and immoral.

Why would I bother exploring any further a document which holds no possible connect-the-dots that I can even IMAGINE which would excuse the collosal barbarity of any deity who created this world? Is this the best you could do? Is this the best of all possible worlds?

I've gone the WTBS route, I've read the apologetics arguments presented by Alvin Plantinga in his Free Will defense and I still can't find any excuse.

Everyone either presents a BAD argument, an INVALID argument or "maybe we'll understand later".

I'm not waiting anymore.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The Bible is a book which needs to be analysed in the same manner as any other book which purports to relay an accurate history.

Indeed, the PARTS that pertain to historical fact should be analysed as to IF they are historical fact.

Of course first one needs to KNOW which parts were written as "historical fact" and which were stories and parables and simple theological views of ancient man.

The Bible is divinely inspired in part, in whole, or not at all.

Well, the bible's divine parts are inspired by God, as for the rest, they are what they are.

Context is, as always, everything.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M938LoqeRDw

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Of course first one needs to KNOW which parts were written as "historical fact" and which were stories and parables and simple theological views of ancient man.

What would your recommendation be for making such a determination?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Simple word leavingwt: Hermeneutics. Both Christians and Evolutionists seem to be understanding it now-a-days.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Simple word leavingwt: Hermeneutics. Both Christians and Evolutionists seem to be understanding it now-a-days.

Side question: Are you aware that a majority of believing Christians on the planet have accepted Evolution as a scientific reality? If not, you may enjoy Francis Collins' site, BioLogos.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    What would your recommendation be for making such a determination?

Well, I suggest you read books from BOTH sides of the equations, critics and apologists and keep an open mind to both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit