Dark Side

"Why do you assume Obama was not elected based on his merits?"

I read and listen and base my opinions on what I read and listen to

• moshe
    moshe

I thought this was going to be a Tiger Woods topic-

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I have asked this question over and over again whenever a thread about racism appears on this forum, but no one has ever been able to answer my question. What race is Obama? Does he belong to the white race? Or does he belong to the black race?

Also, my brother who was born in Canada and is very white skinned, is married to a beautiful goldened skinned girl who was raised in Canada but born in Vietnam. So what race are their three beautiful boys? The oldest looks very Asian but the youngest doesn't look Asian at all, he looks just like my brother. So is one of the Asian race and the other of the white race?

I'm so confused, as I don't know how to categorize these people in my mind.

It's also causing problems for the Canadian grandparents. When the ones who were born in Vietnam take the youngest grandchild to the store, people look at them funny like they may have kidnapped a little white boy. When the ones who were born in England take the oldest one to the store, people look at them funny, like they may have kidnapped a little Asian boy.

And don't even get me started on my sister-in-law's sister who married a dark skinned Italian. Their kids don't look like any discernable race at all? How are people supposed to know what race they are so they can make the appropriate assessments/judgements about them and their culture?

Cog

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Very good point.

My ex-wife is Filipina. My 18 year old son who just graduated high school and enlisted in the Marine Corps is half "Caucasian" and half "Pacific Islander". He checks the "other" box most of the time

Most people consider Barry to be black. I too am still trying to figure that one out

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Cog,

I have a cousin with a similar problem, she married a guy of german descent and had three children (2 boys and one girl). When the kids were babies they were very light and had big curls in their hair. Her daughter was born a blonde and my cousin became very paranoid about taking her daughter out in public because of comments and stares, she felt that people didn't believe that was her daughter and would try and take her away thinking that she had stolen that baby.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Most people consider Barry to be black. I too am still trying to figure that one out.

One drop rule. If Obama isn't black then then my great great grandfather wasn't black (he was the product of a slave and her master) and most of my ancestors on my grandmother's side.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Mrs. Jones;

They probably would have just assumed that your sister was the hired nanny!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

When I was 12, my mom married an Indian man (from actual India, not the fake Indians like we have in America). His little 5 yr old niece lived with them and used to follow me around and hang all over me every weekend when I came to visit. Whenever people would ask me if I was babysitting, I would, say "no, this is my cousin". I just loved messin' with people and seeing the looks on their face, trying to figure it out.

• flipper
    flipper

DARK SIDE- I did read every word you wrote. And yes indeed I do read quite well with comprehension. You are welcome to your views , as I am mine.

LISA- I get what you are saying and I see we agree on most points. Peace, love, & Rock n' roll back to ya !

MOSHE- A Tiger Woods topic ? Well- he did get along with women of all races for sure ! LOL !

COGNIZANT- Yes, Obama is African American , but I believe he had some Caucasian mixed in his background as well. Hell- I feel we are ALL related to each other . My niece who is an attorney had her DNA tested for about $ 100.00 and found out she had DNA of Aborigines from Australia and from India . So- None of us really know WHO we are related to if we go far enough back ! LOL ! I like to look at it as we are all of the HUMAN race. ( Unless some aliens slipped in from outer space ! ) And observing some on the board- I wouldn't hedge my bets . LOL !

MRS. JONES- It's too bad your cousin was treated that way for having children that people thought looked different than they expected. People can be so boorish in their behavior towards even strangers

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

'DARK SIDE- I did read every word you wrote. And yes indeed I do read quite well with comprehension. You are welcome to your views , as I am mine.'

Backing out of a losing argument is an art.

Well done

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit