Say " Hello " to the Least Racist Person in America

by flipper 104 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Taking a stand is unnecessary?

----------------

A wise person chooses his battles carefully - timing is essential to the outcome of a debate - as is the mindset of the audience or participant. 'Taking a stand' is nothing more than fighting for the sake of playing war games when the objective is nothing more than winning a point or two with little desired outcome for change or understanding.

Some religions martyr their supporters for dying for the cause - sometimes taking a stand is not necessary in the bigger scheme of things...ask how many recall the names of the martyrs in their religion? Those who took a stand and died, are soon forgotten. sammieswife

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Got it. So we should all just shut the fuck up

-------------------

Well, you see, with what seems like an angry response like that, there would be little gained by my giving my opinion.

I don't believe anyone need stay quiet..I would rather they discuss rather than argue and most of all try to learn a little along the way.

I believe no race of people is superior to another - I also believe that religion and politics, shaping the culture of nations, creates, promotes and fosters racism and until people realize it is all about class and not about race, they will continue to promote the same. The poor are poor regardless of culture, color or race; rape happens across the spectrum; murder; disease; war, ignorance etc - those are the real issues - they transcend all races and all cultures.

sammieswife

• flipper
    flipper

SAMMIELEE"S WIFE- Pick and choose your battles carefully. I agree with that motto. I debate when I see it's going somewhere in a positive way for both parties - but I don't waste my time on negative arguments which go nowhere

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

A wise person chooses his battles carefully

A courageous person stands for what is right. A coward picks and chooses when and where to make a stand

'Taking a stand' is nothing more than fighting for the sake of playing war games when the objective is nothing more than winning a point or two with little desired outcome for change or understanding.

That sums up your belief system. I have no reply, although I think you're a cop-out

Some religions martyr their supporters for dying for the cause - sometimes taking a stand is not necessary in the bigger scheme of things...ask how many recall the names of the martyrs in their religion? Those who took a stand and died, are soon forgotten

I wholeheartedly agree

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Well, you see, with what seems like an angry response like that, there would be little gained by my giving my opinion.

You bet I'm angry. But I'm also reasonable.

This is where most people on the board call me a racist and drop out of the conversation. Feel free to do the same. It's an easy out

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

A courageous person stands for what is right. A coward picks and chooses when and where to make a stand

----------------------------------------

That may be....a very smart,very wise and courageous person will stand up for what is right at the right time and in the right manner. Sorry pal, but jumping into a gang fight to defend a person being assaulted and then getting your brains bashed out for it, ending up in a coma for life - just because you want to be courageous and take a stand/do what's right - doesn't amount to a hill of beans, when the smart thing to do would be to walk past, dial 911 on your cell phone and get the cops down there quick. Courage depends on the situation and how smart you are in the process of doing 'what's right'..not by being stupid and jumping in without any thought. That's just stupid and if you leave a couple of kids and a wife behind in doing so, it's reckless.

A coward is a person who may choose to do nothing at all because of their own fears one could conjecture.

Again, labelling.

I'm not about to call someone a coward for not acting in a manner that I would because I don't know their story. I'm not about to call someone courageous simply because they want to discuss an issue like racism, when for all I know, they beat their kids every day because they are bullies - which doesn't take any courage.

In actual fact, I find the most courageous people are those who are very self aware. They see what is wrong in their personal life, in their own attitude and behavior and they make a life long attempt at learning and changing if need be. They accept their faults, their weaknesses but work on being aware of them........that takes courage. sammieswife

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

This is where most people on the board call me a racist and drop out of the conversation. Feel free to do the same. It's an easy out

---------------

I don't think I've ever called anyone in my life a racist. I think it's a term that is used far too loosely.

Why would I call you that? Is that how you feel? I thought you said that you don't believe any 'racial' group of people is superior to another? If that's the case, and that is what I base racism on, then why are you saying people call you racist?

On the other hand, far too many people can't seem to separate culture and race. I may not feel that I want to live amongst some cultures but that doesn't make one racist.....it's simply a matter of exposure and likes/dislikes. Nothing wrong with that - it doesn't involve hate or ignorance ..might just be a comfort factor. All my furniture is white...my sister hates it...all her furniture is green....and? I'm comfortable and more at home in surroundings that suit my personality as she is hers...but we have coffee together almost every day. I enjoy learning about other cultures but it doesn't mean that I have to switch sides to be happy....and I would expect the same feelings from others.

Separation and division on a political level as I have said over and over again, create racism. A college for only green people elevates the green people to a special status and that makes the purple people feel mad. The purple people have a community club for purple people but that ticks off the green people and the orange people. The orange people start up a music club for only orange people and tick off the purple and greens. Along comes the pink party and they open up a club for all the colors but then in jumps someone calling themselves a leader, who insists that the pink club can't possibly meet the needs of all those colors because it's all about culture......so the pink closes up and all the colors go back to their own clubs and their own groups that they are told meet their needs because they are 'different'...or 'special'...or 'deserving'.... sammieswife

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Sorry pal, but jumping into a gang fight to defend a person being assaulted and then getting your brains bashed out for it, ending up in a coma for life - just because you want to be courageous and take a stand/do what's right - doesn't amount to a hill of beans, when the smart thing to do would be to walk past, dial 911 on your cell phone and get the cops down there quick

Read carefully, pal. I'm not talking about 911 situations. I'm talking about taking a moral stand for what is right. Don't cloud the issue

A coward is a person who may choose to do nothing at all because of their own fears one could conjecture.

Again, labelling.

A coward is a coward. You can make excuses for weaklings all day long. Doesn't make a bit of difference in my book

I'm not about to call someone a coward for not acting in a manner that I would because I don't know their story. I'm not about to call someone courageous simply because they want to discuss an issue like racism, when for all I know, they beat their kids every day because they are bullies - which doesn't take any courage.

That's ok with me. Go with that. If you'd like to learn the personal history of every racist you encounter, and try to figure out their motivation, knock yourself out. I don't want to invest the time. I judge people at face value. I don't care how you feel. I care what you do

In actual fact, I find the most courageous people are those who are very self aware. They see what is wrong in their personal life, in their own attitude and behavior and they make a life long attempt at learning and changing if need be. They accept their faults, their weaknesses but work on being aware of them........that takes courage.

I disagree. I believe that's the human experience. I believe that's our purpose in life. We need to be the best person we can be. That's not courage. That's life. You succeed or fail, or fall in between, as most of us do

I don't think I've ever called anyone in my life a racist. I think it's a term that is used far too loosely.

I don't

Why would I call you that? Is that how you feel? I thought you said that you don't believe any 'racial' group of people is superior to another? If that's the case, and that is what I base racism on, then why are you saying people call you racist?

You bet I believe all races are equal. That said, I also believe that in present day America, if a white man says he is proud to be white, he is immediately labeled a racist. Every other race in this country can be publically proud of their heritage. Not "whites". We have to kowtow in all race discussions. Read all my posts concerning race. I knew as soon as I raised the issue, I would be called racist. The board proved me right

On the other hand, far too many people can't seem to separate culture and race. I may not feel that I want to live amongst some cultures but that doesn't make one racist.....it's simply a matter of exposure and likes/dislikes. Nothing wrong with that - it doesn't involve hate or ignorance ..might just be a comfort factor. All my furniture is white...my sister hates it...all her furniture is green....and? I'm comfortable and more at home in surroundings that suit my personality as she is hers...but we have coffee together almost every day. I enjoy learning about other cultures but it doesn't mean that I have to switch sides to be happy....and I would expect the same feelings from others.

I couldn't agree with you more

Separation and division on a political level as I have said over and over again, create racism. A college for only green people elevates the green people to a special status and that makes the purple people feel mad. The purple people have a community club for purple people but that ticks off the green people and the orange people. The orange people start up a music club for only orange people and tick off the purple and greens. Along comes the pink party and they open up a club for all the colors but then in jumps someone calling themselves a leader, who insists that the pink club can't possibly meet the needs of all those colors because it's all about culture......so the pink closes up and all the colors go back to their own clubs and their own groups that they are told meet their needs because they are 'different'...or 'special'...or 'deserving'

Absolutely. So lets do away with all-white tv channels and networks, all-white beauty pageants, all-white magazines, etc. etc. etc.

That's sarcasm, pal. They don't exist. They aren't allowed to exist. That would be racist

• Dark Side
  • Dark Side
    Dark Side

cow·ard

1. a person who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.; a timid or easily intimidated person.

2. lacking courage; very fearful or timid.

3. proceeding from or expressive of fear or timidity: a coward cry.

—Synonyms
    1. craven, poltroon, dastard, recreant, milksop.

Word Origin & History
    coward

early 13c., from O.Fr. coart , from coe "tail," from L. coda , dialectal variant of cauda "tail," of uncertain origin + -ard , an agent noun suffix denoting one that carries on some action or possesses some quality, with derogatory connotation (see -ard). The word probably reflects an animal metaphoric sense still found in expressions like turning tail and tail between legs . Coart was the name of the hare in O.Fr. versions of "Reynard the Fox." As a surname (attested from 1255) it represents O.E. cuhyrde "cow-herd."

"Cowardice, as distinguished from panic, is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend the functioning of the imagination." [Ernest Hemingway, "Men at War," 1942]

An O.E. word for "cowardly" was earg , which also meant "slothful."

Origin:

1175–1225; ME < OF couard-, couart cowardly, equiv. to coue tail (< L cauda ) + -art -ard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit