by flipper 104 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    BTW I'm not Irish

Nonsense. Everybody is Irish.

BTS

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

just think about it.......... the best neighborhoods are the mixed ones!

when you get one with 100% white or 100% black or 100% spanish.......... something is gonna happen when the minority walks through there

• JeffT
    JeffT

Horse puckey

America: where else can you buy a Thai Chicken Pizza?

We still have some issues, but we're working on this one, and working on them better than a lot of other places.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"White pride typically comes from ignorant arrogant idiots who think they are automatically better than other races because of their skin color"

I agree that is the perspective of many, and I can understand why. But it shouldn't require me, as a white man, to hang my head in disgrace. Yet, that is what today's society wants. Again, in light of the past, I can understand why. Doesn't make it any less out of line

There are not just two choices for a white person- White pride or disgrace. You can be proud of yourself and what you accomplish or know. You can be indifferent to skin color. I don't even think there is a bandwagon of those who are ashamed of their own race for what it has done. Society doesn't insist that white Americans look down upon themselves for the mistakes their race's people may have committed in the past.

Heck, I am not a slave-owner and I recognize that while whites in the past in America were slave-owners, it was a different time, a different culture, a different set of values and beliefs. The important thing to do is to recognize what is right and not glorify our racial heritage of taking the natives' land and enslaving another race. We can be proud of slave-owning ancestors or ancestors who conquered the natives, but for reasons beyond their dominance over others.

When you say "society wants" you to hang your head in disgrace, you are probably listening too much to hatred from other groups. That's racism also. The average black man doesn't hate you for being white.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Jeff, I like the places that offer Burritos and Kung Pao Chicken! Pancakes and Curry!

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

On The Way Out, good post.

"Society doesn't insist that white Americans look down upon themselves for the mistakes their race's people may have committed in the past."

You are wrong. What the vast majority of modern Americans want is that white people stay quiet and accept their responsibility concerning racial issues and racial wrongs. Whites have to acknowledge their racism...past and/or present. They cannot publically voice pride in their race, skin color or heritage. They can do it in private or in the company of other like-minded folk, but to say it publically immediately brands them as racists. There the conversation stops. Once you're accused of racism, most people stop listening to you. It's an easy tool

(I know the phrase "like-minded folk" is going to get me called a white militant or supremist)

"The important thing to do is to recognize what is right and not glorify our racial heritage of taking the natives' land and enslaving another race"

Absolutely. The white race has had more than their fair share of black marks (not a racial comment) in history. A lot to be ashamed of. BUT.. no race is innocent. Every race on the face and in the history of earth has discriminated against, enslaved and killed others who weren't like them. The white race hasn't cornered the market on it

"When you say "society wants" you to hang your head in disgrace, you are probably listening too much to hatred from other groups"

What I'm listening to is America. The voice of the people. Are you saying I should ignore it? Give that same advice to every other racial group. See how that goes over

"The average black man doesn't hate you for being white."

I absolutely agree. Just as the average white doesn't hate a black or an average hispanic doesn't hate an Asian.

Racism exists. People need to talk about it. The discussion needs to be heard, and listened to, from all sides

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I agree that white people don't need to hang their heads in shame over the sins of the past.

I also think that is important that white people recognize that because of those sins of the past, white people are still benifiting TODAY. It's not our fault that we are benifiting, it's not our fault that we are privileged in this society, but we are.

Because of our skin color, we have privilege in this society.

THis is not our fault, but that doesn't really matter, does it? The fact is that because of our skin color we have privileges that other people do not have, and that is not fair. We benifit from an unequal, unfair, and yes, racist society.

Because of my skin color it is easier for me, with only a high school deploma and very little money, to rent a house in a safe, clean neighborhood than it is for a person of color with a college degree and some money in the bank to rent the same house.

I don't hate myself because of that. I don't hate my race.

But at the same time, all of us, white, black or brown, have a responsibily to fight the racism in our culture until it no longer exisists. Yes, white people have to work to get rid the unfair, racist 'white privilage' that we enjoy every single day in this society. And in order to do that, first we must acknowlege that it exists right now today, and that WE benifit from it.

That is what the 'vast majority' of Americans want.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

"But at the same time, all of us, white, black or brown, have a responsibily to fight the racism in our culture until it no longer exisists"

Okay. How? Racism is everywhere. Electing Obama was supposed to end it all. It's worse. How do you end it?.

"I also think that is important that white people recognize that because of those sins of the past, white people are still benifiting TODAY. It's not our fault that we are benifiting, it's not our fault that we are privileged in this society, but we are"

Granted. I'm white and priveledged. Would you rather rise to my situation or I sink to yours?

"But at the same time, all of us, white, black or brown, have a responsibily to fight the racism in our culture until it no longer exisists"

We all do. All colors. You bet

" Yes, white people have to work to get rid the unfair, racist 'white privilage' that we enjoy every single day in this society. And in order to do that, first we must acknowlege that it exists right now today, and that WE benifit from it."

Equality.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I dream that same dream

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for the comments and observations.

TROUBLED MIND- I agree. I was raised in a racially mixed environment also. In High School in the Southern San Joaquin Valley area in California it was 33 % Mexican, 33 % African American & 33 % Caucasian . Yes there were racial tensions but I never agreed with how it polarized people into thinking one particular group was better than another. Even being raised a JW - I was very often in racially mixed congregations- which was a very good thing as it broadens your perspectives into other cultures . You have good views my friend. Very balanced.

BEKSBKS- You make a very good point which I agree with. The diversity in California is incredible . Lots of different races with it being a cultural melting pot. I saw a lot of unity among races in the Jehovah's Witnesses- but unfortunately at times I saw sad tension between races also. I think it just depends many times on how we were raised , our environment. If we were surrounded by prejudiced people growing up- sometimes people will carry on those attitudes into adulthood - if we were raised by open minded unprejudiced people ( like I was lucky enough being raised by my parents ) then we tend to be more accepting of racial and cultural differences. Especially if we personally have dealt with different races ourselves in our experiences.

MRS. JONES- Yep, it was CALI. I agree.

DARTH PLAGEUIS- My Father in law is from Boston. He's 79 yrs. old. A really nice guy. He's Swedish actually and pretty accepting of others.

OTWO- I agree that most racists are totally ignorant. Either by choice, or just that they haven't EXPERIENCED being around other races to see things first hand. They go on just heresay - or influenced by their own environment growing up . Whether they are White, Black, Asian, Mexican, Red , Pink, or Orange. People get influenced by views handed down through family and friends socially as they grow up. And many times those views are ignorant. Or misinformed - which causes ignorance.

MINIMUS- Good to be here ! Thanks !

BURN the SHIPS- Thanks ! I didn't see much prejudices in the witnesses either- only occasionally in a racial sense . And yes- I admit I need to be nicer to Sasquatch ! LOL ! Not trying to hurt the big guy- just get some pictures and find out MORE about him, or her - as the case may be !

SOONER 7NC- I'm glad you had Crapola to help you have a balanced view of racial groups. My parents helped me a lot too.

DARK SIDE- People should be judged for the content of their character - not race in the least. I think society wants honesty and openness between the races - yet acceptance of others differences at the same time. It's possible to have both if not done in a condescending manner between the races ( Have to go cook some breakfast for my wife , will answer pg. 2 in a few minutes )

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Okay. How? Racism is everywhere. Electing Obama was supposed to end it all. It's worse. How do you end it?.

Who said electing Obama was supposed to end it all? Who would think that? I promise you that people of color in this country never thought that for a second. Heck, I'm white, but I was pretty sure all hell was gonna break loose when he was elected.

Yes, it's worse. Obama is proof that very, very slowly, white privilege is being chipped away at. When we were in high school they taught us that because of white privilege it was impossible for a black man to be elected president in this country. Something has changed since then and while we might be happy about that change, a lot of people are not. A lot of people who don't even know they have white privilege or what it is, but they can feel in their bones that things are changing and that they are loosing something... And they are not going to let it go without a fight.

How do we end racism? That is THE question, isn't it. I wish I knew the one perfect answer. I know that just knowing it is a problem is not going to change it. I know that just 'not being racist' is not going to change the problem. Racisim is systemic in our culture. It's part of everything. What can we do? We shine a light on it. We speak up when people say things that are not true. We search under every rock within ourselves looking for it and when we find it (and we will), we stamp it out. We refuse to support people and systems that work to keep white privilege in place. We teach our children the truth about our society. We support affermative action until the numbers show it is not needed. Whites simply MUST open the doors to others that are already open to us. We must do it because more often than not, due to white privilege, we are standing at the doors, holding the keys! We never, ever pretend that we as white people are somehow victims. We never ever pretend we are doing anyone some kind of favor. We never, ever stop fighting for equality in our society. We never overlook racist remarks. We understand that as Americans we have a responsibiliy to do everything we can to save our country from the poison of systemic racism. If we don't, it will destroy us.

Granted. I'm white and priveledged. Would you rather rise to my situation or I sink to yours?

I don't understand this response. A person CAN'T 'rise' to the situation of having white privilage. You either have white skin or you don't.

(ETA: I'm sorry if I've strayed to much from the purpose of the thread...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit