I have a concern about this forum

by palmtree67 176 Replies latest members private

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I don't understand the "constantly threatening to leave, but never leaving" thing that's going on here.

I don't undersand the "this is a cesspool, dark abyss, worst people ever, but I will still associate with you" thing going on here.

Debator, I have no issue with you, you have been respectful of others here. Alice showed up here with boxing gloves on, trash-talking from the very start. The responses she gets is reflective of that. Sorry, but the post she made with the picture of the suicide and suggesting that certain ones here do that.......it's hard for her to gain respect after that. And really, has she even tried to be taken seriously?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

(Only one cuss word *pats self on back*)

Yeah girl, I know how hard it is for you to hold back. Nice self-control there.

• debator
    debator

Hi alice

I have enjoyed your posts and I am very sure many non-posters have seen your sincere defence of witnesses and the unasked for verbal attacks this has gained you.

I put forward one word of advice. Be careful how much personal info you express on here. The majority on here are EX-Jws and a few very militant ones too from what I can see . They would use this against you. The one worrying trend I see on this forum is to lump Jws together and paint them with broad, extremely negative, emotionally manipulative, generalistic strokes. /they are stoking up vulnerable ones that might feel inclinied to take this beyond a debate forum.

Your sound fair words on various forums are a pleasure to read but like I said please be careful.

• John Doe
    John Doe

The majority on here are EX-Jws and a few very militant ones too from what I can see . They would use this against you. The one worrying trend I see on this forum is to lump Jws together and paint them with broad, extremely negative, emotionally manipulative, generalistic strokes.

You don't suffer from an irony deficiency, do you.

• dinah
    dinah

Nobody else see the play between debator and Alice?

It's like the BIG Gay War all over again.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I've read horrible things on here I know are not true. There's nothing anyone can say that will ever convince me otherwise.

I will freely admit that I am not a match for the arguments of some who come here looking for them. I was "in" for over thirty years, and contented myself to let others (the GB) do my thinking and reasoning for me. I never knew anything about politics, other than the current President, and felt it was anti-JW to look into any further information. I didn't get an education, as my husband, an elder, thought that would set a bad example for others, so ended up realizing I didn't know a lot about a lot of things. I am rectifying that now, as I am in college. The point is, may of us were hurt by the WTS. This forum was created so that we could be here for one another, and discuss "new light" and ask questions, something we could not do in the Kingdom Halls without fear.

While I know that the things I've posted about myself are true, I cannot say for sure whether all other's post are completely true. However, I don't feel it is my duty to get verification. Many people here have been hurt to the extreme by the WTBTS. I myself was devastated to find out the "truth" about the WTS.

I, and I am sure others as well, do bare themselves on this forum. I try to be here for them. It is cathartic to find out some of the things that we have on this forum, and to share our background information. I hope that many are not put off by some who must belittle the life stories of our posters, even though yes, some of the things that happened were horrible. At the same time, our comments to those who come to antagonize need not be through the use of offensive words. That too is upsetting to many, including me.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's like the BIG Gay Way all over again

They need to get a room.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Use the trolls. Keep them here for practicing your skills before you tackle your family members on a topic.

I think antagonism is unnecessary and counterproductive. There are several posters on this board who are universally respected both for their knowledge and their calm and mild demeanor. Leolaia comes to mind.

I remember the first "apostate" web site I visited: Timothy Campbell's Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses.

His calm, matter-of-fact way of telling things really made a positive impression on me during a crucial questioning stage in my life. I also enjoyed his web site on Antiprocess:

Have you ever been in a discussion with somebody and even though the facts were solidly on your side, they wouldn't change their mind? Who hasn't been in that situation?

In this article, I will be describing a phenomenon I call "antiprocess". Here are several explanations of the concept:

The Formal Explanation: Antiprocess is the preemptive recognition and marginalization of undesired information by the synergistic interplay of high-priority acquired mental defense mechanisms. An Informal Explanation: People can very cleverly defend their beliefs without having to fully understand the arguments against them. A Very Informal Explanation: They're not being annoying on purpose.

If you must debate, at the very least become familiar with logical fallacies.

Fallacies are defects that weaken arguments. By learning to look for them in your own and others' writing, you can strengthen your ability to evaluate the arguments you make, read, and hear.

Finally, if you've clearly made your point, and someone else who is antagonistic to your point of view keeps on as though you said nothing or counters with disrespect (and no substance), then let that person have the last word. You won't become any more "correct" by replying to someone who is only interested in pushing emotional buttons. I know I've been guilty of that before. Live and learn.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"I don't understand the "constantly threatening to leave, but never leaving" thing that's going on here.

I don't undersand the "this is a cesspool, dark abyss, worst people ever, but I will still associate with you" thing going on here.

Debator, I have no issue with you, you have been respectful of others here. Alice showed up here with boxing gloves on, trash-talking from the very start. The responses she gets is reflective of that. Sorry, but the post she made with the picture of the suicide and suggesting that certain ones here do that.......it's hard for her to gain respect after that. And really, has she even tried to be taken seriously?"

People started in on me the second I got here. Not everyone on here is rude and profane. The dead girl was in response to people cussing me out and calling me human garbage. You DO NOT like Jehovah's Witnesses and I know it. Stop with the manipulation and I'll leave faster. People can say anything they want to me and I can say nothing in return. I'll finish out my course here and that will be it. All I learned here was I never want to be you people.

• dinah
    dinah

They need to get a room.

They couldn't do nothing if they did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit