I have a concern about this forum

by palmtree67 176 Replies latest members private

• Twitch
    Twitch

And probably, that's why Debator, Bane and AIW shun me now.

My money says they're the same person

In spirit anyways (no pun intended)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JWN has never been as Rowdy,as the early JWD days..

Those were some Wild West days..LOL!!..

Alice..

You got caught with multiple accounts..

Evidently Simon has decided to show mercy,because your nuts..LOL!!..

Your never going to outwit Simon.....Ever..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• TD
    TD

This is a little off topic, so I hope Palmtree forgives me.

On a public forum that allows linking to resources on other servers, it is possible to obtain an IP address.

Using the oldest trick I can think of, this is how it works:

You embed a picture with a pixel size of 1 X 1 with the same color as your background (In this case, white) in new topic or thread reply

The URL for that picture points to a server that you control.

Everyone who reads that thread will generate a hit (Timestamp & IP) on your server when the picture loads.

The timestamp on your server log can be correlated with the timestamp on subsequent replies on that thread.

Obviously, the quicker someone replies to the thread the stronger the correlation will be, so the madder people get, the better.

A former participant here who went by the handle, Jourles publicly demonstrated this trick once, just for everybody's amusement and education.

It can be defeated with something as mundane as an active VPN connection.

• Titus
    Titus

TD, I am sorry. There are many things in your post that I don't understand. 1) I don't speak English very good 2) I don't understand how IP and other Protocols work.

So, what it means? Can some poster locate me?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Many years ago, I ran a religious/political/current events/ forum with an atheist friend of mine. I was already an inactive Witness. People would come there to insult and just be totally ridiculous and nasty, of course. We were inviting it by choosing to discuss very emotionally volatile subjects, at least for some people.

At first, it would totally ENRAGE me to read some of the things people would write. I couldn't stay objective at first. I thought I'd be very tough and smart and just come back at the insults with more clever ones of my own, because I am pretty darn clever. LOL

But, of course, it would always escalate because some people just live for a good verbal fight, even if it becomes pointless...it's not always even about winning, it just makes them feel important to "stir the pot".

It's kind of the same way that passing on gossip makes some people feel important, I guess. But, it's truly feeding a monster at times to do it. I just started being pleasantly distant to these people and then ejecting them if they broke the rules three times. That's all. It worked amazingly well to keep the stress level down for me and everyone else involved. I'd sort of feel them out to see if they really had a point to hash out or were just trolling for unnecessary drama.

I quit throwing gas on the fire, is all. It takes a certain restraint of ego to do so, but anyone can insult anyone, so what does it prove? It take no special skill, except perhaps a certain wit if it's done humorously, such as some of the insults Mark Twain and Winston Churchhill became notorious for.

There will of course always be people who assume that getting in a good insult means they won a debate or a point. Apparently they need that. Maybe some day, they won't when they wise up a little more and find out that you can either think you're right all the time or have good friends, but you can't really have both of those things.

• TD
    TD

Titus,

I'll PM you

• Titus
    Titus

OK, thank you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

A joke for Titus. . .

If you reply to TD's PM, he'll know your exact address!

• Titus
    Titus

Yeah, right!

NO REPLY!

• debator
    debator

Hi isaac and Palmtree

I reserve the right not to give out personal information on a public debate forum that is googlable. I will debate most subjects but this one is limited since it is pitting two subjective viewpoints against each other.

Hi titus

I am not ignoring you, I am just wary of your taking debates into personal info areas which doesn't interest me.

To be honest I was hoping for more biblical doctrinal debates from this forum and can only find threads with the usual EX-Jw topics that are pretty much of a sameness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit