A Seattle Police Officer Is Caught On Tape Hitting a 17-year An African American Teenager Girl

by Scott77 236 Replies latest social current

• Scott77
    Scott77

Authorities say the case was dismissed when the boys refused to testify.

In April 2008, Rosenthal was charged with third-degree theft after she allegedly stole a minivan in Tukwila, prosecutors said. Kent police said she used a screwdriver to break the ignition and start the vehicle.

The charge was later amended to theft of a motor vehicle. Rosenthal was given a deferred disposition — charges would be dropped if she stayed out of trouble — because it was a first-time offense, said Ian Goodhew, deputy chief of staff for Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg.

Levias was charged in February 2009 with third-degree assault after she allegedly pushed a King County sheriff's deputy down.

According to charging documents, on Feb. 3, 2009, deputies were called to the Ruth Dykeman Children's Center, a Burien center for troubled girls, in response to a report that Levias was being abusive toward staff. When Levias was confronted by Deputy Amy Zarelli, she pushed the female deputy, causing her to fall, charging papers said.

Levias was given a deferred disposition because it was a first-time offense, Goodhew said.

Justitia Themis

I think, based on the above account, It can confidently be said that authorities were too lenient to the troubled teenagers. I think, this has to do with the state of WA in general. Had such a thing took place in the South, the treatment would had been much harsher.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Big hug to (((yknot))) who is a deeply caring person who sees the potential good in a person.

So long as the person is female.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    So long as the person is female.

Yes. From what I've seen in her posts she's actually pretty cool and interesting. I suspect she's also very hot. Very passionate in her views.

Think About It

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

nite e1, good thread,

purps

• Scott77
    Scott77

James Kelly, chief executive officer of the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattleduring a news conference Tuesday with African-American community leaders, called Walsh's punch an overreaction. "The provocation by this 17-year-old kid may have presented a confrontation situation, but the use of violence in the form of a full punch in the face was just plain wrong," he said in a statement...Kelly said he wanted to be clear that what the 17-year-old girl had done Monday was wrong and that her actions "only helped escalate an already tense situation. ... I am making no excuses for her. But two wrongs don't make a right."

To me, the above sounds like a balanced presentation of the events without bias.

• not a captive
    not a captive

A security guard I know who didn't have options other than his size and strength said that there were ways to defuse situations and ways to aggravate a person. There are ways to humiliate as well. If a guy in the club is mouthy or gets under your skin, there are ways to deal with him that are personally gratifying--and slightly over-the-top.

There is no doubt that these girls exhibited actions that showed that they were flouting the cop's authority, they behaved in a menacing manner, but not like they were out for his blood.

Tasers can be really violent for taking someone down. Maybe he didn't want to do that. Pepper spray is pretty good for these situations, I've read, it's been used on school kids.

As many jay-walkers as they have had at that site, you'd think the officer had thought about a plan "B" for resistant teens. If punching in the face is his first choice, it's a poor one.

A punch in the face is more than defensive, it is personal insulting and risky. It doesn't always "settle" a situation.

Why not pepper spray? This looked like a bad blood deal to me. The girls were/are clearly on the road to jail and prison. But still, looking at the scene, yeah, the cop won't be in trouble--- but he needs to ask himself what was up that he didn't just whip out some spray, why was his weapon of choice his fist in the person's face.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I lived in WA and remember the riots. Seattle can be a very violent place. There are riots there, it seems, more than any other place.

Black or White, they love a good riot for any reason.

That cop had good reason to be afraid in that situation.

They could have killed him.

Edit: Pepper spray gets on everyone. Never saw it actually used, though.

I didn't like it that there was a punch to the face.

My computer is too slow, so I'm going to have to ask if he was otherwise busy and couldn't take her down, instead of punching her?

Was he dealing physically with two people and no back up?

He does need to step back and think about his actions.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Morning, everybody.

Just want to say that sister girl got just what she deserved.

I hope nothing will happen to the officer.

My oldest g'daughter thought she was da shizzle at one time.

She got into an officer's face once; he had her little chocolate butt on the ground and his knee in her back before quick could get ready!

She got the message and learned her lesson.

Syl

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

the purpose of the police is to enforce the law & resisting as they were will definately get you in serious trouble and we all know that, if your stopped for speeding or whatever & you don't cooperate but bad mouth and fight back it won't go well for you. they need to learn something pretty quit or one day they'll end up dead you can't keep pushing in life & think you won't get pushed back.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Thank you Syl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit