Watchtower suppresses critical video

by besty 113 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Everyone is allowing their disdain for the Society to cloud their thinking on this issue.

If this were any corporation that had confidential material leaked on the Internet you would defend their right to 'suppress' it.

Because it's the Society, and not Coca-Cola for example, all of a sudden they are wrong in trying to protect their intellectual property before it's released.

5th

That's my WT apologetics for the day.

• undercover
    undercover
    Because it's the Society, and not Coca-Cola for example, all of a sudden they are wrong in trying to protect their intellectual property before it's released.

But if Coca-Cola were involved in a cover-up and Dateline or 60 Minutes obtained a copy of some copyrighted material or inner-office memo that is evidence damning to their cover-up, would you be on Coke's side or the news media side?

I see your point, but at this same time, this is not just a soft drink company protecting it's syrup recipe, this is a cult that continues to lie and deceive...

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Do you think Watchtower has a leg to stand on here or is YouTube just playing it safe? Most of the time don't you think organizations send a strong arm legal threat just to see if it will stick. I imagine that unless it is an amazing news story protected by free speech, the entity (ie YouTube) would just play it safe and give in to the legal threat.

• besty
    besty
    If this were any corporation that had confidential material leaked on the Internet you would defend their right to 'suppress' it.

The Watchtower are using tax payer money for religious education purposes.

Last time I checked charities were meant to be in the 'giving free stuff away business' - not the 'protect our intellectual property with take down notices business'.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

1. There is no 'cover-up' here. They are just protecting information that was stolen.

2. 'giving free stuff away business'

There's my point.

So a charitable organization should be an open target for anyone to break in and take what they want? I guess they're going to have to write new laws for that one.

• gubberningbody
  • sd-7
    sd-7

But isn't this a speech given at a CONVENTION OPEN TO THE PUBLIC THAT THEY ARE INVITING MILLIONS OF PEOPLE TO ATTEND? If somebody records it, is that infringement? This isn't exactly some secret memo. It's a talk that is to be given to 7,000,000+ people around the world. Not exactly private!

Supposedly, isn't this information--'the Bible's message'--offered to the public at no charge? The line between that and making it public domain, I should think, gets a little blurry. The copyright, I would think, is just so that people acknowledge that the WTS wrote it.

I don't know. Just thinking in terms of what they teach, it doesn't seem logical. It'd be one thing if the person was selling it or something. Well, fine, whatever. Regardless, they can't stop the signal.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Religious orders don't usually like outside sources taping their talks to be scrutinized latter on.

Especially the bogus ones like the WTS.

Thats the reason behind the abiding law set out by the WTS. for anyone recording their talks at Assemblies and elsewhere.

They know their talks could be tapped and put up on You Tube like some have already.

This latest shut up by the WTS just proves how the WTS utilize corporate copyright laws to control the out going information.

The other thing thats worthy to note is the GB are worried that their latest " Generation Change "

is so fabricating weak in itself, they want any refutation stopped in its tracks from outside or inside of the organization.

Good on V for bring it to the people's attention though, maybe there's a work around the whole thing.

When someone posts the exact words from a talk and repeats them openly the WTS. doesn't like that

since the information isn't coming out of an Apostate's mouth its coming out of their own.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I think the question is, is a talk outline copyrighted material? I didn't see any "copyright 2010" notice on the scans V put up. Is there some kind of blanket copyright that groups like the WTS have over every word they type?

StAnn

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

The thing I find the most fascinating about all of this, is where are these leaks coming from? How is it that a JW can get more information in real time at an apostate message board , quicker and more thorough than they get from their own religious leaders. I'm loving this!! Where are these leaks coming from? Evidently, this board and others similar have some friends in high places in the Borg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit