Calling Perry Out (and any others who want to participate)

by OnTheWayOut 150 Replies latest members adult

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Divine Command Theory -- If God does it, then it's automatically just/right/moral/correct/appropriate/noble, etc. God never has to apologize. (Otherwise, folks are worshipping a Monster of the highest order.)

I will go with the parenthetical view here.

Jeff

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I will go with the parenthetical view here.

If one accepts The Bible as the literal, inerrant word of God, the 'Divine Command Theory' is absolutely necessary, as best I can tell. Otherwise, each of us is a better father than YHWH -- by miles.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I read Divine Command Theory yesterday while coming up with this thread. It's something Perry agrees with (in my opinion). The WTS agrees with it. I shook my head as I read about it.

• The Finger
    The Finger

A community responsibility? We can take a personal responsibility for whether we agree with the community action whatever the cost. In Germany in the 2nd world war can you be excused for going along with the Nazi's?

Do you think that God would be unrighteous in his dealings? If he were then we have no hope. He could not be unholy. To save us Jesus had to appear. Do we trust God? That was really the question all along

• undercover
    undercover
    Divine Command Theory -- If God does it, then it's automatically just/right/moral/correct/appropriate/noble, etc. God never has to apologize.

Yea, but...

Weren't we supposedly made in God's image? So if we find certain actions as reprehensible doesn't that mean it was a trait that God gave us?

Or...

Are the murderers, rapists and genocidal dictators of the world closer to God's image than those of us who see these actions as immoral?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Do you think that God would be unrighteous in his dealings? If he were then we have no hope. He could not be unholy. To save us Jesus had to appear. Do we trust God? That was really the question all along

Translation: Even though he's awful monster, he's the only game in town and our only hope. So we must love him. Or, he'll kill us or burn us or something worse.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Weren't we supposedly made in God's image? So if we find certain actions as reprehensible doesn't that mean it was a trait that God gave us?

This is because you're "imperfect", "depraved", "sinful". If you were more like God, you could kill men, women, children and babies with a sword with youthful vigor and joy. You could take delight in carrying out your master's will as the streets run with blood.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have to agree UC.

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam, all are living 'God's image' aren't they? We execute them, make them villians in world history [as they should be], fight wars to free the oppressed that they injure without conscience.

But when God does the same in the Bible - 'It's ok. He's god. I love the bastard anyway.'

Jeff

• sir82
    sir82
    I read Divine Command Theory yesterday while coming up with this thread. It's something Perry agrees with (in my opinion). The WTS agrees with it. I shook my head as I read about it.

It's the believer's dilemma: does God do things (1) because they are good...or (2) does any action action God takes, by virtue of being done by God, automatically become good?

If (1), then apparently there is some higher authority than even God himself is determining what is "good" and "bad", and so why worship God? Why not worship that higher being?

If (2), then apparently the OT accounts of God slaughtering whole populations, condoning rape & slavery, and ignoring the suffering of his servants must be constituted as "good", even though any human today advocating such actions would be condemned for doing so.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam, all are living 'God's image' aren't they?

I don't think these people had the mind of Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit