Calling Perry Out (and any others who want to participate)

by OnTheWayOut 150 Replies latest members adult

• Perry
    Perry

Well, it has been a while since this subject has been seriously dealt with.

Lots of emotive and sensational expressions, superimposing 21st century culture on the ANE.... not very practical in arriving at truth. Reviewing the Ancient Near East culture and the laws that God had regarding aspects OF THAT CULTURE, has certainly streghtened my faith.

If a person doesn't believe that God exists, or if he believes that God should not have any authority ..... nothing about God will ever makes sense because they deny him the very attribute embodied in any common definition of the word "God". These people see only themselves, they by definition, must be either lawless or a law unto themselves. Believers simply do not view the world in this way.

Also, the emotional sarcastic sympathetic responses here about how terrible it is for a woman to have a month to mourn the "murder" of her parents is unfounded because there was no murder. We have all watched heart-rending crime shows where one spouse murders the other spouse. In the sentencing phase, sometimes the children barter for mercy for the murdering spouse, reasoning that they would be deprived their only other parent.

Sometimes, the decision is to put the murdering spouse to death. This sends a powerful message to all, children included about the rule of Law. So, we have even in modern times a death occurring, legally, orphaning children. Perhaps those ancient children would think twice about making themselves a combatant against God, just as a modern child (and the larger society) may think twice about murdering someone. To allow one and deny the other is hypocritical. And I might add, a necessary construct to one who would on the one hand assume God's existence while at the same time deny him legal authority, it being in itself an impossibility, unless you change the definition of the word God, which no one has attempted to do on this thread.

Again, this is just all non-sense to an atheist, or to someone who would deny God legal authority (which would divest him of his Godship by the way). To each his own.

Secondly, the example that Hint of Lime made in Isaiah reads thusly:

The burden of Babylon, which Isaiah the son of Amoz did see.
    2 Lift ye up a banner upon the high mountain, exalt the voice unto them, shake the hand, that they may go into the gates of the nobles.
    3 I have commanded my sanctified ones, I have also called my mighty ones for mine anger, even them that rejoice in my highness.
    4 The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like as of a great people; a tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together: the LORD of hosts mustereth the host of the battle.5 They come from a far country, from the end of heaven, even the LORD, and the weapons of his indignation, to destroy the whole land.
    6 Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
    7 Therefore shall all hands be faint, and every man's heart shall melt:
    8 And they shall be afraid: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them; they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth: they shall be amazed one at another; their faces shall be as flames.
    9 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
    10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
    11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
    12 I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.
    13 Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.
    14 And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up: they shall every man turn to his own people, and flee every one into his own land.
    15 Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword.
    16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.
    17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them,
    which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.
    18 Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children.
    19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
    20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.
    21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there.
    22 And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.

It is easy to see that God raised up other Gentile nations against Babylon. The statement about their wives being ravised was a prophetic declaration of what was going to happen, not a mandate. This practice of raping and pillaging was common among gentile nations who were not subject to the stringent laws that God placed upon his covenant people, as I have pointed out in my first response.

Thirdly, The only one on this thread who has even attempted to cite a credible source that would characterize God as someone who commissioned rape, is Leoleia. She quotes someone named Harold Washington, whoever that is. His argument seems to be that for a woman to wait a month in no way mitigates or guarantees her consent in the marriage.... thus making this a form of "rape" to modern sensibilities.

He misses the point that (a) the woman was under a righteous death sentence, and was spared. (b) She might very well enjoy engaging in a society that afforded her rights that she may have never had otherwise, especially as her only other altenative to immediate death. (c) She could of course choose to carry out the original death sentence placed upon her by God.

Again, if a person divests God of legal authority, this will sound like nonsense. But, as I have already pointed out, it deepens the dissonance of, on the one hand assuming God has Supreme Legal Authority enshrined in the common definition of the word "God", and at the same time making him subject to their own notions about justice. Indeed, aside from the specific judgment on an enemy nation hell bent on the destruction of God's covenant children, there is the condemnation of sin we are all under. Under the Law, no one deserves to draw another breath .

Now to specifically address Leolaia's cut and paste (by the way there is nothing wrong with that per se) :

Warfare for the purpose of seizing women, however, does appear in biblical narrative (Judg. 21:8-12),

Judges 21

8 And they said, What one is there of the tribes of Israel that came not up to Mizpeh to the LORD? And, behold, there came none to the camp from Jabeshgilead to the assembly.
    9 For the people were numbered, and, behold, there were none of the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead there.
    10 And the congregation sent thither twelve ° thousand men of the valiantest °, and commanded them, saying, Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead with the edge of the sword, with the women and the children.
    11 And this is the thing that ye shall do, Ye shall utterly destroy every male, and every woman that hath lain by man.
    12 And they found among the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead ° four hundred young virgins, that had known no man by lying with any male: and they brought them unto the camp to Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan.

Again, once a person is familiar with ANE culture and the harsh realities in that time period this makes sense. Women died in childbirth at an alaming rate and this was always a threat to the survival of a people in those times. So, this would (a) help the nation of Israel and (b) offer an alternative to someone under RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT an alternative to immediate death. In no possible way could this be construed as RAPE, except by the most injudicious superimposition of modern life (which I might add denies legal authority to God). This shows a dangerous level of either ignorance or bias on the part of Mr. Washington, whoever he is.

Another point of his:

and in Ugaritic epic (KTU 1.14-16), where the hero Kirta stages a military expedition to capture a woman from a neighboring city. Rape has accompanied warfare in virtually every known historical era. 94

Here Mr. Washington makes a logical fallacy assuming that since violent rape occurs elsewhere, then it must also occur here. This is a non-sequitur as the laws pertaining to societal absorption of captives previously elaborated upon are simply ignored. Again a gross display of either ignorance or bias.

Hence biblical commentators sometimes regard Deut. 21:10-13 as a prohibition of rape on the battlefield. 95 This is not the case, however. The law governs conduct after the victorious completion of combat: "and the Lord your God gives them into your hands" (21:10b).

Let's look at that:

10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies , and the L ORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive ,
    11 And seest among the captives a beautiful ° woman , and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife ;
    12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house ; and she shall shave her head , and pare her nails ;
    13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house , and bewail her father and her mother a full month : and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband , and she shall be thy wife .

The 1st bold words are what Mr. Washington erroneously assumes to mean violent battlefield rape. However the very text he cites includes the words AFTER THAT, (the one month cooling off period) to indicate when MARRIAGE and consumation of that union could legally take place !!

My initial post from the article I referenced deals specifically with the phrase "God hath delivered them into thine hands" . To state that this means violent battlefied rape is a charge so utterly ridiculous that it literally defies almost any possible reconciliation with Mr. Washinton to sanity ...especially in light of all the applicable Laws he chooses to strategically ignore.

Would Mr. Washington also claim that this identical phrase means that David and the Israelites wanted to commit Sodomy with Goliath 1 Samuel 17 ?

This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
    47 And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give you into our hands.

Mr. Washington engages in fantastic conjecture to say the least.

ISN'T THERE ANYONE HERE THAT CAN PRODUCE EVEN ONE UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR WHO WILL STAND BY THE CHARGE BROUGHT BY "ON THE WAY OUT" - GOD COMMANDS RAPE ??

Because, I'd really like to personally interview such a person.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

First of all, you should have told us that ANE means "Ancient near east" or whatever you intended it to mean the first time you used it. You used that before and just assume we got it. Some of us are not scholars and we wanted to know who "ANNIE" is. While I figured it out after some thought then, thanks for finally clearing that up.

Secondly, I love how you twist the scriptures to say that these women/children were given an alternative to immediate death. In today's society, "Consent to sex or be killed!" is rape, but not in your ANE. That make's God's people so much better that we cannot judge them by today's standard, but I still say God is supposed to be above that.

Thirdly, I already addressed how you would dismiss all scriptures that don't directly say that "The Lord commanded them to rape." So why bother staying on that point anymore? Since you dwell on it, though- You reason on the scriptures to defend God by taking the most difficult stretches of the meanings, so what's wrong with reasoning on the scriptures to get the most obvious conclusion that they are leading to? (God said to keep the young virgins and use them as sex slaves.) Forget it, though. We agree that you never read such a thing. Will you at least admit that God didn't stop them or command them to stop, that He overlooked the rape in His name?

Fourth, these still remain unanswered:

What I want to know is, what do you accept as known evidence that conforms to existing physical laws to accept your belief in the God of the Christians, the truthfulness of the Bible, and the claimed miracles of Jesus?

Just because you have stated something on here, or someone else has, has it been "successfully refuted" on this board? So the rest of humanity simply has to read old JWD/JWN posts and they can come to realize that they should be fundamentalist Christians? Not even the entire board of regular readers has done that. Do you really believe that?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    If a person doesn't believe that God exists

Perry, in your life, did you begin with the assumption that "God" exists? If so, why?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

ISN'T THERE ANYONE HERE THAT CAN PRODUCE EVEN ONE UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR WHO WILL STAND BY THE CHARGE BROUGHT BY "ON THE WAY OUT" - GOD COMMANDS RAPE ??

Because, I'd really like to personally interview such a person.

University professors might not be posting too many youtube videos or wasting their time on discussing this. They might just be focusing on their area of expertise. Why do we need professors to discuss this? JWN has it's own professors, but we don't even need them. If I search the internet and the library and the universities, I am sure I can find many many university professors that stand by the charge that God commanded rape. Maybe some of them will even consent to an interview. So what?

You will just say that they are not divinity professors and started out as scoffers and the Bible still doesn't directly say "God commanded rape." Such a waste of effort. I called you out because you seemed to make it personal on another thread. This thread will die like so many others. Just answer the questions and mock all you want, take a little mocking and move on. That's what these discussions all really amount to.

While I disagree with Sylvia, at least she's "man" enough (sorry, poor joke to goad Perry) to see what the Bible clearly implies and still stand by her convictions instead of finding a Watchtower-like way of editing what God really means.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Whoa whoa there, no one was saying the Jews did everything WRONG. Not the point, but you insist on making this an all or nothing situation.

The Hebrews did show signs, in some ways of being more civilized than their neighboring tribes of humans.

But, come on I don't read those scriptures up there and pretend it's a cute episode of "Here Come the Brides", a TV series about how a bunch of lonely Seattle loggers in a area with no white women sent to New England for a ship full of single women and widows whose prospective husbands, husbands and fiances had been killed in the Civil War.

I'm sure those people didn't deem what they were doing rape. I'm sure they thought it was God's will and as we well know, thinking something is God's will sanctions all sorts of things. But, it still demonstrates that the individual will or rights of a woman were nothing to the Jews. They were property...it's stated over and over again in the Bible that women and children are property of men. That really didn't change anywhere in the world until the last century. It's admittedly a very new idea. I rather like it, though, being a woman.

We don't think that's a kind or enlightened or humane view anymore, sorry. God may have allowed these people who were 3 hairs from a baboon to do it, but most first world, educated, intelligent people living in democratic societies today would find it barbaric and unjust to treat women this way or think of them as property.

It doesn't prove that God was giving these people a more enlightened view of life in this way than their pagan or Gentile counterparts. They were pretty much the same in this way.

There were a few other ways they were less barbaric, but not in this way.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Harold Washington is a professor.

From wikipedia: Harold C. Washington is the professor of Hebrew Bible at Saint Paul School of Theology in Kansas City, Missouri. He holds both M.Div. and Ph.D. degrees from Princeton Theological Seminary. A member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), he is both a pacifist and a vegetarian. [ 1 ] Washington's professional output is considerable. Perhaps most significantly, he contributed the introduction and annotations for the books of Proverbs and Sirach in the third edition of The New Oxford Annotated Bible NRSV.

Leo - thanks for posting that. I learned things ;-)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Lots of emotive and sensational expressions, superimposing 21st century culture on the ANE.... The only one on this thread who has even attempted to cite a credible source that would characterize God as someone who commissioned rape, is Leoleia. She quotes someone named Harold Washington, whoever that is. His argument seems to be that for a woman to wait a month in no way mitigates or guarantees her consent in the marriage.... thus making this a form of "rape" to modern sensibilities.

By "21st century culture" I think you mean Western culture and its (legal) definitions of rape. Problem is, since we are all members of this culture, it is this consent-oriented definition of rape that is under discussion here, not rape as it is culturally constructed in each culture. The OP is thinking of rape in these terms; the question is: does the biblical material bearing on this issue meet this definition? The same issue arises if one were simply to compare our Western culture with other non-Western cultures in the world today. Washington in his article distinguishes rape as an sociological phenomenon (an "etic" view of rape) from how it is culturally constructed (an "emic" view of rape). For instance, in patriarchal societies that view women as a male dependency or possession, rape is viewed as a violation of the parent's or husband's rights; this takes a male-centered perspective whereas our "modern" consent-based definition of rape takes the perspective of the female victim. But Washington does not change his definition of rape and say that what is rape in our culture is not rape in Culture X; rather he recognizes that Culture X does not criminalize rape in certain situations because it is a culture where sexual coersion and violence are institutionalized. What would be anachronistic is to mistake our "emic" Western view of rape with the emic view of rape in a given culture. That Washington does not do.

If a person doesn't believe that God exists, or if he believes that God should not have any authority ..... nothing about God will ever makes sense because they deny him the very attribute embodied in any common definition of the word "God".

Belief in God does not have a bearing on whether a particular act is rape or not. It instead can have a bearing on whether you think said act is justified (e.g. your emphasis on "legal authority") or moral, if other beliefs are also met.

Also, the emotional sarcastic sympathetic responses here about how terrible it is for a woman to have a month to mourn the "murder" of her parents is unfounded because there was no murder. We have all watched heart-rending crime shows where one spouse murders the other spouse. In the sentencing phase, sometimes the children barter for mercy for the murdering spouse, reasoning that they would be deprived their only other parent. Sometimes, the decision is to put the murdering spouse to death. This sends a powerful message to all, children included about the rule of Law. So, we have even in modern times a death occurring, legally, orphaning children. Perhaps those ancient children would think twice about making themselves a combatant against God, just as a modern child (and the larger society) may think twice about murdering someone. To allow one and deny the other is hypocritical.

I think your argumentation here is revealing, as you illustrate Washington's very point about taking the patriarchal perspective at the expense of that of the female captive. The analogy aligns the male holding her prisoner with that of the "state", which is justified in its actions. Let's shift the example away from rape to genocide for a moment. Because you believe that Hebrew warriors acted with divine legal authority, executing divine judgment, they had the right to wipe out all the inhabitants of a city or a land and take no captives. So the woman should be grateful to the warrior for being spared, for she was already worthy of death. Now if the Hebrew warriors had killed off everyone in a given land, would not mean that it is not genocide because they were acting with God's legal authority? No, it meets our "modern" 21st century criteria for what genocide is supposed to be. It doesn't make it not genocide, it means that you believe that the genocide in that situation is justified and moral. Same goes with the rape. That woman is then taken into her captor's household and is given a month to mourn her father and mother. Is such a girl orphaned? Not necessarily. The law is only talking about female captives (who are "among the captives") that the male warriors find "attractive"; she is categorized as such on account of the warrior's sexual attraction to her, who then takes her into his household with the intent of making her his wife. Such a woman may very well have parents among the larger group of "captives" (such as a mother). But she will mourn losing them, as well as losing her virginity, for when the month is up, she can expect to have her male captor penetrate her sexually (consummating the marriage, cf. `nh in Deuteronomy 21:14 and cf. b Kiddushin 21b), whether she wants to or not (your analogy omits that part). But in your point of view, she is the guilty party; the month of waiting is so she "would think twice about making [herself] a combatant against God". That is how you view things, maybe even that is how her captor may view things. But since many of these Israelite wars were border disputes, basically what she would be guilty of is living on the wrong side of the border in a town that had a dispute with the Israelites over land or other resources. She minded her own business, she tended her father's flock, she helped her mother grind the barley, but little did she know that she was really "a combatant against God", regardless of whether the Israelite warriors were the aggressors or not. But since she is to be construed as an enemy of God (on account of belonging to a people that went to war with Israelites), who should be grateful just to be alive, her captor is "legally justified" in sexually penetrating her when the month is up (whether or not she consents is immaterial to the law). It doesn't mean that this is not rape just because the captor has acted with deuteronomistic legal authority; it meets our criteria of what rape is supposed to be. It doesn't make it not rape, it means if you believe that God has given moral authority to the warriors "executing divine judgment", you would regard such an act as legally justified and moral. The cultural difference is that rape in this circumstance would be regarded as criminal in our culture but as normal and lawful in Israelite culture. This is part of what Washington means about the deuteronomistic law institutionalizing rape.

His argument seems to be that for a woman to wait a month in no way mitigates or guarantees her consent in the marriage.... thus making this a form of "rape" to modern sensibilities. He misses the point that (a) the woman was under a righteous death sentence, and was spared. (b) She might very well enjoy engaging in a society that afforded her rights that she may have never had otherwise, especially as her only other altenative to immediate death. (c) She could of course choose to carry out the original death sentence placed upon her by God.

In response: (a) It's still rape whether or not she was spared, (b) It's still rape whether or not she would benefit in certain ways through living in a new society, (c) It is understandable if a woman trapped in that situation sees no way out other than suicide. That you raise the specter of suicide reinforces the point that her consent, or even the value of her own life, is of no consequence.

Again, if a person divests God of legal authority, this will sound like nonsense. But, as I have already pointed out, it deepens the dissonance of, on the one hand assuming God has Supreme Legal Authority enshrined in the common definition of the word "God", and at the same time making him subject to their own notions about justice....Under the Law, no one deserves to draw another breath.

No, it does not sound like nonsense. The meaning is quite clear. Acts that would normally be considered to be rape are thankfully "not rape" if the agent acts with the authority of God. They are disqualified from being considered acts of rape because they are legally justified (by the highest authority imaginable). In other words, rape is defined on account of its criminality (rape as criminal behavior), rather than on account of the actual acts that it involves (rape as sexual violence). This in part takes the Israelite point of view, for whom rape was legally institutionalized, because you consider God to be the same as their god, and because the Israelites regarded their god as involved in their warfare. I, on the other hand, do not disqualify an act of rape as rape just because one could legally construe the woman as a guilty party not even deserving life (relevant to this is the victim-blaming and dehumanization of rape victims that occurs in our own legal system), or whether or not rape is criminalized in a given situation. So I view your argument as a de facto construal of rape as justified if the rapist acts with the authority of God.

Again, once a person is familiar with ANE culture and the harsh realities in that time period this makes sense. Women died in childbirth at an alaming rate and this was always a threat to the survival of a people in those times. So, this would (a) help the nation of Israel and (b) offer an alternative to someone under RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT an alternative to immediate death. In no possible way could this be construed as RAPE, except by the most injudicious superimposition of modern life (which I might add denies legal authority to God).

Again, this is justification and not a demonstration of why these acts do not involve rape. Of course there are sociological and cultural reasons for rape.

Here Mr. Washington makes a logical fallacy assuming that since violent rape occurs elsewhere, then it must also occur here. This is a non-sequitur as the laws pertaining to societal absorption of captives previously elaborated upon are simply ignored. Again a gross display of either ignorance or bias.

No, he indicates (with reference to the ethnographic literature on rape in warfare) that because rape is such a universal part of warfare, there is no reason to expect warriors from a particular people not to ever engage in it without it being explicitly prohibited; his point is that Deuteronomy 21:10-14 does not prohibit battlefield rape. We can expect that it would have happened, just as it happened with other ANE peoples (as you mentioned in your discussion of Isaiah), it's just one of those things that happens in war ("It appears from ethnographic accounts that the motive is often to defile the enemy by violating his women, valued possessions of the enemy; thus feuding and internal war can be precipitated by rape or rape may be an aggressive act resulting from feuding or warfare," in the article "A Cross-Cultural Study of Rape," by Keith Otterbein, Aggressive Behavior, Vol. 5, p. 429), so it is significant that the law is only concerned with what happens after the war, not during it.

The 1st bold words are what Mr. Washington erroneously assumes to mean violent battlefield rape. However the very text he cites includes the words AFTER THAT, (the one month cooling off period) to indicate when MARRIAGE and consumation of that union could legally take place !! My initial post from the article I referenced deals specifically with the phrase "God hath delivered them into thine hands" . To state that this means violent battlefied rape is a charge so utterly ridiculous that it literally defies almost any possible reconciliation with Mr. Washinton to sanity ...especially in light of all the applicable Laws he chooses to strategically ignore. Would Mr. Washington also claim that this identical phrase means that David and the Israelites wanted to commit Sodomy with Goliath 1 Samuel 17 ?

You have misunderstood what Washington was saying. He was not saying at all that these words refer to "violent battlefield rape". He is saying that these words indicate that the law pertains to the situation after the conclusion of the battle, when the captives are being assembled, and so it has nothing to do with conduct during the battle.

• Perry
    Perry

A member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), he is ...a pacifist

Just as I predicted ... His writings prove his bias toward extremism. His article showed absolutely no evidence of

God commanding rape.

Read

Today, there are several different types of Quakerism, which could easily be called 'denominations'. One even refers to itself as being 'evangelical'...but the official U.K. form of Quakerism is a cult from top to toe! Why say this? Just a brief examination of its basic beliefs should be sufficient to convince the reader...

In official Quakerism, few Quakers believe in the need for Biblical-salvation. This is because few of them accept the reality of Satan, or of sin. Obviously, if there is no sin, there is no need for salvation! To many Quakers, 'sin' is merely a vestigial remain within a man which can be removed by doing good. Satan is said to be a figment of the imagination and Jesus Christ is said to have been just a very good man.

With this as a basis, there is no need to repent either! If we do not sin, then what is there to repent of? As for the Bible, well, individual Quakers may take it or leave it. However, some Quakers may, if they wish, read certain texts at their meetings, just for 'inspiration'. The Bible is viewed as just one of many books of inspiration. Any 'uplifting' piece of literature will do - even that of a pagan Roman emperor known for his savagery against early Christians!

Modern Quakers specialise in doing good works and encouraging peace initiatives. This they see as of vital importance. Many are archetypal New Agers for they mix their good works/peace ideas with ancient Eastern beliefs and all kinds of esoteric/occult teachings. (Note: 'Many' not 'all'!).

Those who call themselves 'evangelical Quakers' complain when they are referred to as 'cult members'. But this is a problem of their own making.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Well, after seeing Perry ignore a sound trouncing like that, I don't think I'll ever bother engaging him again.

On a side note, how many would be in favor of Leolaia getting paid a consultant's fee?

Very, very well done Leolaia. As usual.

om

• Perry
    Perry

Leolaia, There is absolutely no way either you or Washington can claim with a straight face that battlefield rape was commanded by God becuase it wasn't specfically prohibited. That is ludicrous. You have zero proof and presented only conjecture like Washington. In fact, all of the evidence points to the contrary ...various applicable laws already discussed.

Secondly, we are talking about arranged marriage, get it? Up until recently in human history, virtually ALL MARRIAGES were arranged. If we were to take your definition of rape at face value, then virtually all young women who entered an arranged marriage, which they may or may not have been agreeable to, experienced rape at the moment of consumation. Again, this is ludicrous.

It may difficult for us to get past our own culture, but history is what it is. The simple fact is that rape, then as now holds a connotation that includes a) violence and b) non-marriage. Unless someone can show conclusively that God ordered violent penetrations of unmarried women, then a rape was not ordered.

So far all have failed to illustrate this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit