Calling Perry Out (and any others who want to participate)

by OnTheWayOut 150 Replies latest members adult

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"....if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her..."

I feel so much better about these verses now that they've been explained. Since she had a month to mourn the slaughter of her family, maybe the Stockholm syndrome had kicked in by then and she didn't mind being raped for eternity! Maybe she was even able to do as the awesome Clayton Williams once suggested, "If it's inevitable, you might as well lay back and enjoy it." And kudos to the Lord for telling the soldiers they should look for the hot women. I wonder what happened to the "uncomely"?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Finger:

I understand that God has a principle of an eye for an eye. With the people that God's people "raped and killed", probably were people who had committed rape and pillage themselves. Joseph was not under the mosaic law but seemed to understand how God felt. Do you think that these people were good decent hard working innocent folk. Maybe as God is the law giver as creator he was well with in his rights to administer whatever treatment he felt necessary. I think the Babylonians had a similar view or law. Maybe i'm wrong. What do you think?

Hemp Lover above quotes one of them where the Israelite can take a woman, not a woman guilty of rape. The majority of the scriptures show them taking virgin girls, not rapists.

This sort of separates some of us as far as morals go. Some can call "a people" accountable for the actions of some of them- examples of hatred toward Japanese for WW II or black hatred toward whites and corporations for slavery in the past in the U.S.A.. Others, like myself, think that only the actual individuals should be called to the carpet. The soldiers on both sides were just following orders (short of those that go beyond orders and institute torture and the likes) and today's Japanese have nothing to do with WW II and today's corporations and white people now have nothing to do with slavery. I can see both sides of that.

Regardless, many expect God to be above that. If a flood is a merciful way to kill them all, then maybe I could overlook that. If warfare destroys all the evil Philistines, then maybe I could try to stretch and overlook that the children were swept up in that and killed also. (I actually cannot overlook that, but I try to see the other side.) But I cannot overlook the raping of innocent children by the ones who killed their parents. (For Perry's sake, I will grant that they are post-puberty before they are raped and in that culture of short lives, they may not have been considered children.) This is clearly humiliation to the highest degree. Just as a lion kills the cubs of rival lions and impregnates the lioness with it's own genes, the humans here are no better.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You mention the flood and that brings up a crucial issue for me.

How do I reconcile the flood with God?

How does one reconcile a flood that kills millions of innocent children and animals, destroys the ecobalance of the world with an all poerful God that could have rid the world of evil in 1000 different ways without one hair on an innocent's head being harmed?

• The Finger
    The Finger

Do you think that the women did not support there men folk who went to war.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

PSac, I can't answer your question (not that you expect me to). I am just trying to see the other side. I agree that God could find a better way.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Don't bother trying, PSac. It's mythology. It isn't literal.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    How does one reconcile a flood that kills millions of innocent children and animals, destroys the ecobalance of the world with an all poerful God that could have rid the world of evil in 1000 different ways without one hair on an innocent's head being harmed?

Divine Command Theory -- If God does it, then it's automatically just/right/moral/correct/appropriate/noble, etc. God never has to apologize. (Otherwise, folks are worshipping a Monster of the highest order.)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Deuteronomy 21:10 -14 When you go to war against your enemies and God, your God, gives you victory and you take prisoners, and then you notice among the prisoners of war a good-looking woman whom you find attractive and would like to marry, this is what you do: Take her home; have her trim her hair, cut her nails, and discard the clothes she was wearing when captured. She is then to stay in your home for a full month, mourning her father and mother. Then you may go to bed with her as husband and wife. If it turns out you don't like her, you must let her go and live wherever she wishes. But you can't sell her or use her as a slave since you've humiliated her. MSG

Considering the circumstances, this is a humane gesture.

The woman was to be given the status of wifery.

Would that the women of my culture were given the same.

Sylvia

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Just as a lion kills the cubs of rival lions and impregnates the lioness with it's own genes, the humans here are no better.

And when we willingly accept that we are just part of the evolutionary process, it becomes easier to deal with IMO. We are the most advanced animals - in the days of the God-wars of Israel, perhaps they were not as advanced? Not sure on that one.

At least the lion makes no excuses by saying that the 'Daddy Lion in the sky made me do it'. At least that. He is just seeking to pass on his genes and would admit as much if he could speak. That's what was happening in the case of the God-wars too. The writers just seek to give god credit. Then later, when such barbarism is unacceptable [as in our day], they seek to rescind the credit that was given to god, for it is not religiously-acceptable now.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Do you think that the women did not support there men folk who went to war.

????????????????????

What do you mean? Something deserving of God's wrath? And children don't support or refuse support.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit