Calling Perry Out (and any others who want to participate)

by OnTheWayOut 150 Replies latest members adult

• tec
    tec

For the record, virtually none of the people that "scream" of God's evil tendencies really believe that God approves of the evil in the OT. They recognize that men have done the evil and claimed to follow God.

Whoa! I totally missed this statement! OTWO - if you are including yourself in this statement, is this reasoning because you don't believe in God? Or at least not the God of the OT?

This is not necessarily a question on your stand on faith. But rather, if you believed in God, do you accept that men may have done evil (by our standards today) and accredited it to God?

On another note...

I think you wrote a while back that we could all at least agree that God should have higher moral standards than the culture at the time, and those perhaps reflected in the words of the bible? I apologize if I misquote you... but I agree with the statement, and I believe that He did. But the word He gave has been handled and mishandled by men, all in accordance to what they were capable of understanding. Try and teach someone something that they are not capable of comprehending or accepting, and I think they're just going to turn away completely - or rework the teaching in accordance with their personal beliefs.

But I think that as soon as we were capable of understanding the full intent of God's purpose, then we got Jesus.

Best,

Tammy

( I cannot claim to know what God thought during ancient times, or claim to be positive on the reasons why things happened as they did. I don't have access to all the information that He does. I can only trust in Jesus, have faith that he knew what he was talking about when he said he reflected the Father, and follow his example.)

• not a captive
    not a captive

Thank you, Tammy. You give voice to my understanding better than I did a day or so ago.

I will simply resubmit on your comment the old Hebrew words for male and female. Their definitions clearly show an entrenched mindset toward women that was vile and abusive.

zakar--remembered, i.e. male(of man or animals, as being the more noteworthy sex)

neqebah-- female,from naqab a prim. root; to puncture, lit. (to perforate, with more or less violence) or fig. (to specify, designate libel):-- appoint, blaspheme, bor, curse, express, with holes, name, pierce, strike through.

How do you talk to creatures that invent words like these?

Send Jesus the Logos.

Maeve

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks, Tammy.

While I cannot help but have my personal beliefs bleed through, I wrote with the intent not to exclude believers in God who still recognized that men went too far and blamed/credited God for their actions.

I am not Perry, I will recognize when I stick my foot in my mouth and overstate things.

• tec
    tec

Not-a-Captive -

OTWO - Thank you for that. Our personal beliefs might differ, but no one can say that you didn't listen to another person's thoughts with honest consideration. This trait is greatly appreciated.

Tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Perry tried to use another thread to pick on me again. I swear, it's like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4Gj7JsET4&feature=related

Anyway, here's what Perry asked me on the thread about Noah's ark:

OTWO,

I addressed each and every scripture that was offered by you and others regarding rape in the bible. That is a fact. God did not command rape. That is also a fact. You cannot change that fact either. If I have missed ANY scriptural reference that you believe God commanded rape in then send me a IM., and I'll address it.

Here 10,000 scientists protest government interference in global warming science. Will that stop some people from believing in global warming? Of course not. Should we harrass them? Mock them? No. People can believe whatever they want.

So, On The WAy Out... are you going to show me the same courtesy I extended to you and answer a simple question? How do you know if something is true or not?

You spent 12 years as an elder teaching what you now consider to be lies. How can you be so sure in your condemnation of others when you so far can't tell anyone how you know if something is true or not? Weren't you just as sure of yourself when you sat in judgment of others on your judicial committees?

Surely, we all confidently repeated lies, as members of the WT. So how can we figure out if something is true or not now ...without the Watchtower?

Starting out convincing yourself that your crap is a complete answer and mine is not- that is a good way
    to have a healthy discussion.
    Anyway, you are the one who debates like that so I will just respond in kind.

(I know you are, but what am I!) You are hardly worth debating if links like http://www.s8int.com/ are what you rely on. It is just as silly as
    your comments. It uses ridiculousness as its evidence.

One quote on there is :"RICHARD DAWKINS, Oxford, an evolutionist, "If a single, well verified mammal skull
    were to turn up in 500 million year old rocks, our whole modern theory of evolution would be utterly destroyed." I whole-heartedly believe that this is either entirely wrong or just as out of context as WT magazine likes to be.
    If it is out of context, it is possible that Dawkins was simply asserting that we would have to come up with a
    more accurate "theory of evolution" and not to abandon it and switch to creationism. But whatever. the site is
    loaded with garbage. I will answer MORE on how I know something is true or not.
    I research, I read, I listen for a consensus among people that make sense and use their minds instead of just
    blindly accepting things. Sometimes, I don't know. I do not know if whales are the result of reverse evolution
    (mammals going from land to the sea) or if that theory will be discarded. Much of what Darwin has theorized has
    already been discarded. I know you think that means that evolution is garbage, but it really only means that
    man has admitted that we have found more evidence of "the truth" and the theories of the 19th century don't
    fit anymore. Some of the theories of the 21st century will be discarded as more things are discovered.

So, I don't "know" that everything I believe is correct. I know plenty of lies because they are proven false by the
    stacks and stacks of evidence. If you look at ridiculous websites that support your beliefs but won't even consider
    actual evidence that there couldn't have been a worldwide flood, then good luck with that. I already answered that I do listen to the experts. But that doesn't mean I read one book or watch a few youtubes
    and ta-da. I focus mainly on knowing the lies and then what is left is truth. But truth also is rational. There is no
    absolute way to prove that God isn't out there, exactly as Perry believes He is. But there is no evidence that Flying
    Spaghetti Monster isn't actually the one out there. So truth is that there is no evidence that such unbelievable things
    are out there. Truth is that until otherwise proven, we don't need to put effort/faith in either of them. If that isn't the
    truth, then my only backup is that God is free to contact me and tell me what to do. Until He does, I am on my own.

You don't know me at all. I did all that I could as an elder to forego judicial committees and let people off the hook.
    I learned early on that I might be wrong, but I didn't have the mastery of the ability to let go and overcome fear.
    I don't condemn Christians and scoff at their beliefs. But this forum is a place where such debate can take place.
    Even here, I only go so far as to condemn the idiocy of those like you, Perry, who boldly declare their beliefs without
    considering real evidence. But don't worry. Your own thoughts and links show you for what you are. If I have stated that you do damage to
    newbies, I apologize. People can see through your closed mind as well as I can.
  • mindmelda
    mindmelda

Quit trying to get Perry on my side. I like him where he is, on his own side, way over there.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Perry only tried to keep goading me on the Flood thread and won't comment here. He's probably reading, so I will finish up with this post.
    I posted this comment today on a thread by passwordprotected and I will post it here also for Perry:

I am ending my participation in such threads by reposting my opening comments from a thread 7 months ago:

For the record, I don't believe in the God of the Bible, and I find it hard to believe in the God of any religion on earth. I am closest to atheist in my beliefs if you want a traditional title, but I prefer "Rationalist." I will do God's will for me when He directly tells me what it is. Until then, I am fine on my own spiritual journey.

That said, please feel free to state your own feelings/beliefs/spiritual journey. BUT, here's the point of the thread: JW's had to feel that they were "right" and all of "Christendom" and all of "Babylon the Great" were "wrong." They may have gotten that way when J.F. Rutherford discovered that self-induced "persecution" upon his flock could be manipulated into proof that they were on the "right" path to salvation. JW's are more about being "right" than anything else. They say that holidays and the cross and the military and the flag and birthdays and YADDA YADDA YADDA are "wrong." They say that door-to-door preaching, dedication to an organization, the stake, 1914, paradise on earth, YADDA YADDA YADDA are "right."

I don't need to be right anymore. I don't have to prove the nonexistence or the existence of Sky Daddy, Thor, Jesus, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jehovah, a trinity, Allah, whoever. I don't have to say there is sufficient evidence or a lack of evidence for evolution or for creationism.

Sure, I will comment on such threads if I want to. The threads that lend themselves to such discussions are part of my spiritual journey. But the arguments get so petty and pretty funny. Keep up the humor, don't take yourselves too seriously. Some of you believe there is only one path to salvation, but some of us don't. If your God wants me to find it, He will contact me. If not, don't worry about me, life was fun.

On the other side, some atheists, evolutionists, anti-Christians are insisting on their way of thought also. Lighten up on the creationists and Christians. If they never agree with us, does it really matter? We are above our old JW ways. We don't have to be "right" anymore. We just have to get along.

• JWoods
    JWoods

OTWO, I think you are right in the position stated above.

Perry seems to be committed to incoherent non-scientific fantasy to support fundamentalist watchtower-like beliefs.

He basically hijacked a perfectly good thread on the recent claim that Noah's Ark had been found to proclaim his belief in a literal earthwide flood, offered no proof of anything, and got onto such subjects as the dinosaurs, age of geological deposits, and whatever else.

Another got started on Darwinism today with a completely non-sequiter and unreadable opening post.

I agree - these kind of threads are not worth much waste of our time.

• not a captive
    not a captive

On the other side, some atheists, evolutionists, anti-Christians are insisting on their way of thought also. Lighten up on the creationists and Christians. If they never agree with us, does it really matter? We are above our old JW ways. We don't have to be "right" anymore. We just have to get along.

This thought of your is very like a thought I had posting on Sab's latest topic. I wanted to share it. Thanks for the posting, OTWO

The whole theological construction of the Organization is rotten. Just ditch it all and find for yourself the mustard seed that Jesus told us about. Even if there is infinite knowedge floating out there in the great beyond, most of us wake up each day with the obligations to pay rent and feed our family. The WTS has beat us all up with its "provisions" promising we know so much now. It steals our mustard seed.

But the mustard seed of faith is where it is at for me. Scripture may have been messed with but neverthe less I am convinced that the essence of God's word was yet in the Logos, Jesus. That is MY mustard grain. And just as fervently I believe that any teaching that was ever derived from a committee's vote is not God's word and cannot be. Because our relationship with God cannot be tainted by a group, we cannot doubt that we can hear the word when we ourselves listen. Neither can we compel another to believe as we do.

If ever we have a new "go" here on the earth, "vindication of God's sovereignty" would only be that we gently listen and repose in our faith. But we would not be organized.

Glad you are up and running today, Maeve

• OnTheWayOut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit