Calling Perry Out (and any others who want to participate)

by OnTheWayOut 150 Replies latest members adult

• snowbird
  • misocup
    misocup

tec said:

And keep in mind that all the things we're condemning the Israelites for doing in war

No one is condemning the Israelites, the point is that they attributed it all to their god's wishes. Thus making the god of the bible a barbaric, blood thirsty, evil twat, who still hasn't set the record straight.

• garyneal
    garyneal

garyneal

You &
    PSacramento
    seem to have a sensible approach to these mind boggling ruminations and ponderances.
    As for Perry - he should keep quiet and let the Parrot talk!

We need people like Perry because he takes a stand. If what he was taking a stand on was merely unpopular, that would not be so bad. But he is taking a stand on something that is empirically unprovable. At the very least, it is no more provable than Islam, Judeaism or any other religion.

They all require faith.

Perry gives us something else to think about and ponder on and for that I thank him.

• misocup
    misocup

"Nonetheless, if circumstances called for it, He could throw down just as dirty as the enemies of His people."

Sylvia

HAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I can't wait for Jehovah to appear with Satan on the Jerry Springer show!!!

• bohm
    bohm

misocup:

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks Gary.

Personally, I think Perry has done more than all of us combined to show the flaws in his own beliefs. He has done similarly to WTS in justifying anything in the Bible that doesn't line up quite right with his version of "the truth." He blindly ignores the clear intent of the writings and actually tries to make them say the opposite in some cases. He boldly states things in a way that most of us can see that we don't want to be like that anymore.

I thank Perry for his contributions. And certainly, he is welcome to share them.

• tec
    tec

thus making the god of the bible a barbaric, blood thirsty, evil twat, who still hasn't set the record straight - misocup.

I think He set the record straight with Jesus. We just see different things from what Jesus said and did - according to personal experience, faith and belief. Different perspectives are not necessarily a bad thing though, especially not if we can understand and apply 'love God and neighbor' despite our different thoughts. (Or just love of neighbor for the atheist/agnostic/other religion)

Tammy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

This thread has taken a few interesting twists IMO.

Perry was called out. His cut and paste looks like drivel, pure scriptural apology with a side of haughty Christianity. His usual fare.

On the other hand, mindmelda, garyneal, Psac, sylvia, gladiator, designs, tec, misocup and others have shown ability to reason clearly - even though I disagree at times, I find their respectful, intelligent banter refreshing by contrast.

I find great agreement with mindmelda of the matter of warrior culture. Indeed. Well elucidated. Nations have always been formed IMO because nations make better war than do individuals or small groups. War is the reason for national alliance. Those nations almost always put God on their side. It makes for better history. Though God does not exist except in the minds of those who 'use' him in this manner - still his metaphorical highness must be held accountable to those deluded souls who accept his participation - precisely due to their delusion, and not to the realistic existence of the metaphor.

There is of course the matter of influence. Deluded people who are 'influenced' by metaphor are, in the end, solely responsible. Still, this perhaps shows the danger of the delusion. To this day delusions of similar greatness drive nations to war, to barbaric assault on other nations or peoples - all in the name of God.

How thankful the planet will someday be, when wars and barbaric action is credited, as it should have been all along, to men! When the delusion of god is history - then men will be held accountable. No god metaphor will enter the discussions.

Unfortunately, we will not live to see it in our lifetimes. But what a glorious day in social and societal evolution that will be.

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There have been many a horrific act done without the "delusion" of God.

We need to remember that, while there are some cases of people doing horrible things believing they are doing it in God's name, the majority tend to use God as an excuse and not the reason.

The inquisition had more to do about protecting the power and infulence of the chruch than about Jesus.

The cruzades had more to do about property and wealth ( and defending properites from the expansion of Islam) than about God.

Every ancient culture believed that their God was on their side, but they never went to war for them, they went for property, gold and even glory and influence, though they also used God as an excuse.

Of course, if we look at the more modern wars such as the Napoleonic ones, WW1 and 2, Korea, Nam, Mao, Stalin, Poh Pot and such, we see the same if not worse atrocities.

• The Finger
    The Finger

OnTheWayOut

I understand that God has a principle of an eye for an eye. With the people that God's people "raped and killed", probably were people who had committed rape and pillage themselves. Joseph was not under the mosaic law but seemed to understand how God felt. Do you think that these people were good decent hard working innocent folk. Maybe as God is the law giver as creator he was well with in his rights to administer whatever treatment he felt necessary. I think the Babylonians had a similar view or law. Maybe i'm wrong. What do you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit