Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Hey IQuit....I'm from Canada..my relatives live 3 miles from the US border now and another further north about 30 minutes from the border. Guess what???? Not one of them has ever nor would they ever come rushing the border for anything other than a visit....we do know though of Americans who have relatives up in Canada that phoney up their identification in order to get Canadian care! Ain't that a news flash!!!

..and LeavingWT...come up with some better stuff eh? It's getting old. The only reason that junk you keep posting keeps coming around is because it's all the US can do. You can't argue solid points because you failed on that - bottom line is that 20,000 people die each year in the USA because they have NO healthcare. Over 1 million go bankrupt every year because of the costs of their healthcare. Of that 1 million people, over half of those lose their homes and about 1/3 lose their families to divorce unable to cope. That's why everyone is always so angry and need a gun - because they think the other guy is just as angry and about to take his stuff. He lost his so I gotta keep mine - oh but wait! Are we still talking health care?

As for Burns - could it be that he got caught out in his last diatribe? He never did answer - he said he bought some houses up and was renting them out and that yes, he was holding on to his profit thanks to Uncle Sam. I took that to mean that his renters were people on government housing aid - social assistance or welfare they call it..and considering that he was railing against the unemployed, the welfare cases, the government for spending his tax dollars - I thought that if that was the case, it was pretty hypocritical. I could be wrong but I thought he'd clear it up when I mentioned it - he didn't and then he said goodbye. Who knows eh? sammieswife.

• Mary
    Mary

daCheech asked: hey mary, a question: if me (american, or mexican, or central/south american) cross the border to canada, and try to get treatment (for free) on cancer or heart problems, or etc... will they take care of me, or will they ship me back?

Hmmm......good question and I don't think there's a definitive answer. Naturally, the Canadian healthcare system is for Canadians and we obviously can't afford to treat the whole world. However, I do know of cases where someone's here visiting from another country, they've either fallen ill or been in an accident and they didn't have any medical coverage. OHIP (or whatever province it happens in) will probably try to bill them, it hits the newspapers and Canadians get up in arms that person wasn't treated on "compassionate grounds". Canadians are passive by nature, but there are a few things we get riled up about and heath care is one of them. I remember a couple of years ago, there was a mother and her child up here visiting her brother. They were from South America and did not have health insurance. The little girl ended up getting hit by a car and was rushed to the hospital. OHIP wasn't going to cover it, Canadians flipped out and I believe it was quietly absorbed.

dinah asked: On that note, if I can get knocked up and make it to Canada to give birth, would my child be a Canadian citizen?

Yep. Absolutely. If you're born here, you've got Canadian citizenship. It's the same way in the States isn't it?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    ..and LeavingWT...come up with some better stuff eh? It's getting old. The only reason that junk you keep posting keeps coming around is because it's all the US can do. You can't argue solid points because you failed on that - bottom line is that 20,000 people die each year in the USA because they have NO healthcare. Over 1 million go bankrupt every year because of the costs of their healthcare. Of that 1 million people, over half of those lose their homes and about 1/3 lose their families to divorce unable to cope. That's why everyone is always so angry and need a gun - because they think the other guy is just as angry and about to take his stuff. He lost his so I gotta keep mine - oh but wait! Are we still talking health care?

Perhaps you've misunderstood me. I'm on record saying the current system is broken. (As an example, I received a $7,000 bill from the facility that performed a 12-minute outpatient procedure on my little boy's ears. This did not include the physician's charge. It's obvious to me that something is not right, there.)

I appreciate the perspective that you and other Canadians are able to give us, regarding the Canadian plan. It's helpful to hear personal stories.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The administration has been all over the map on the importance of the public option ever since it became the main battleground of the health care reform fight, pitting liberals against skeptics and raising the ire of reform opponents.
    Back in July, Obama said health care reform legislation "must include an insurance exchange: a one-stop shopping marketplace where you can compare the benefits, cost and track records of a variety of plans - including a public option to increase competition and keep insurance companies honest - and choose what's best for your family."
    Later, though he issued a caveat: "I think in theory you can imagine a cooperative meeting that definition. Obviously, sort of the legal structure of it is less important than practically how can it operate."
    House progressives, meanwhile, have vowed to oppose a health care reform bill that doesn't include a public option--an inconvenient reality for the White House, and one which could set the stage for a major show down after the August recess comes to the end.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/08/white-house-public-option-not-essental--a-sliver-of-reform.php

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Thank you LT...quite possibly my response comes from just basically being sick and tired of hearing nothing but lies and condemnation of anything the US deems 'social'. I'd go so far to say that I haven't heard one single good thing about any other country on any right wing talk show but I can sure tell you the nasty things they say about them and it's old. Really old. There is no need to try and ferret out stories from or about other countries - you've had enough people tell you their stories from abroad and they for the most part have been good. The USA needs to clean up it's own mess and do it with some integrity - there might come a day when they'll wish they had friends they hadn't spit on. sammieswife.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Burn got his hand slapped by Simon for being rude and unentertaining.

Here's the proper way to do it:

** Dear Coffee-black:

When I said I couldn't "see it," I was being self-deprecating, and attempting to be nice. I'm no longer interested in being nice. :)

I can't "see" your argument, because you lack an argument; you just ramble emotionally. You STILL have not explained how you made the illogical link from my post concerning what POLITICIANS think to indicting MY character, and you never will, because there is no link and your assertion is a catastrophic failure.

Not one vowel in my post demonstrated a "me first" attitude, so stuff it.

I haven't "condemned" anyone, including you, so spare me, and save your victim mentality for the KH.

You're inept at analyzing information, and when your weak arguments are pointed out, you get pissy. I'm ssooooo glad I no longer attend the KH and have to pretend to like people like you.

Regards,

Justitia, aka double-shot latte, one splenda, no foam, from a boutique coffee shop, ;)**

No name-calling, no bad language. (BTW, "pissy" is not a name, it is an attitude.)

• journey-on
    journey-on

Typical BB....everybody should be just alike and act and react just like the one you choose as the example. Why don't you spout your "counsel" to your sister and also apply it to yourself. You don't like Burns because he sees right through people like you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Debunking Canadian Health Care Myths

http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_12523427

• beksbks
    beksbks
    You don't like Burns because he sees right through people like you.

I like Burn, never said otherwise. Here is a lovely quote from him just a couple of days ago. I have others, but they are private, and I shall cherish them as such.

Thanks for that Beks. It is a great explanation. I think that outside of politics, we probably agree on a lot of things. I know you are not a believer, but I notice that you see through the lies.
    BTS
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

**Typical BB....everybody should be just alike and act and react just like the one you choose as the example.**

Not at all. But I do admire the way JT expressed disagreement without being vulgar. That was my point, sorry you missed it.

**Why don't you spout your "counsel" to your sister and also apply it to yourself.**

I believe I do. How would you know?

**You don't like Burns because he sees right through people like you.**

I neither like nor dislike Burn (or you) personally. I don't know either one of you. I do know that you both resort to personal insults when backed into a corner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit