Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Because everything the government runs.... costs far more, has far more bureaucratic layers. Just plain inefficient. Examples: Medicare, Medicaid, the Post office...etc I don't think the American people trust the government to do this well. The pricetag on this will be haunting us for many generations to come.

Medicare has much lower overhead costs than private insurance and yet it has a higher approval rating compared to any other private insurance company.

And the postal service? They'll deliver a letter across the country for $0.44. Try doing that with UPS or FedEx. If I were you I would use AmTrak as an example instead of the US Postal Service, but that's just a suggestion.

The government can do some things just fine.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Regarding the post office... the cost of a stamp has risen from 8 cents in 1980 to 44 cents now. That's a far greater rate than inflation. The post office is closing down thousands of branches over the next few years because they cannot afford to keep them open. Yes, the price of a stamp is still a bargain... but you know what? Standard mail takes forever to get to its destination. I don't trust it to get my bill payments there on time. I pay for an upgraded service to get it there next day and provides tracking. That's $17.50. Fortunately I don't have a lot of bills.

Medicare doesn't sound so simple...and the premiums for most of the plans offered are more than I am paying now... and I have a good plan. http://www.webmd.com/medicare/what-does-medicare-cost

Coffee

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Standard mail takes forever to get to its destination. I don't trust it to get my bill payments there on time. I pay for an upgraded service to get it there next day and provides tracking. That's $17.50. Fortunately I don't have a lot of bills.

Forever? I disagree..most letters are delivered in only a few short days, but of course that is dependent upon how far it is going. Do you get guaranteed next day service with tracking for $0.44? Of course not.

BTW, this is a side point but have you considered using an online bill payment service? Almost every bank offers that at no charge.

Complaining that your payment may not arrive on time when you are using a $0.44 stamp and paying your bill at the last minute is not the fault of USPS nor is it proof the government can't operate anything efficiently.

Medicare doesn't sound so simple...and the premiums for most of the plans offered are more than I am paying now... and I have a good plan.

Interesting. My dad just turned 65 and signed up for Medicare. He was paying $2300/mo for insurance. Now it's only a few hundred dollars.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Perhaps it has something to do with the overall mentality in the USA towards the poor and working class.

Is It Now a Crime to Be Poor?

It seems that the government would rather imprison people than provide useful services for them.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Complaining that your payment may not arrive on time when you are using a $0.44 stamp and paying your bill at the last minute is not the fault of USPS nor is it proof the government can't operate anything efficiently

I'm not complaing...just stating a fact. I have had instances where I have mailed a letter from the post office to a post office box in the same building, and it took 4 days in one instance, 5 in another. No lie. I never pay my bills at the last minute. I send them out almost as soon as I get them. You have made an assumption that is not true.

Perhaps it has something to do with the overall mentality in the USA towards the poor and working class.

Is It Now a Crime to Be Poor?

It seems that the government would rather imprison people than provide useful services for them.

Ummmm no. My grandson has just walked almost 1100 miles this summer to call attention to the plight of homeless children. He is 14. He has been raised, as I raised his mother to help those in need in any way possible. I was a single mom who worked. We were poor... but we had health care. I made sure we did. We went without some things to make sure I had this covered. I don't trust government to do this properly and to look out for our best interests. They do not have a good track record in other areas...why should I trust them in this area?

Coffee

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Generally speaking, America has a tradition of independence, reliance on self rather than a central power (such as the government) for support. The idea of doing for yourself, without interference (or help) from a centralized agency runs very deep in this country. America also has a long tradition of mistrust of the government, going back to the founding of the country. Finally Americans hate taxes. The idea of European level of taxation (40% roughly, as well as VAT) is anathema to the vast majority of Americans, irregardless of what they might get in return. There are exceptions, of course, this is just a broad generalized overview.

Mix in fear of the unknown as well as being accustomed to the status quo and throw in a healthy dose of special interests on both sides and you've got a snapshot answer.

From what I've heard from friends in Europe and Canada, the medical system there isn't perfect by any means. Long waits, sometimes dodgy, disinterested or incompetent medical care has left me with the impression the system is as flawed as America's.

Ideally I'd like to see some middle ground between the two. I got the feeling early on in this debate that was what Obama was aiming for. Now I don't know, but I don't like some of the proposals coming out of Washington. I'd hate to see the current system replaced with something worse just because it's something new and different.

Chris

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they are paying for it, they are going to tell you how to "manage" your health. And they are not going to allow those who choose to avoid drugs and surgery to maintain their health with vitamins, herbs, and exercise. Rather, you have to take your chemo (if that's what they want you to have), no matter how miserable it makes you feel. Plus, that wastes huge amounts of money--anyone that has noticed the sky high prices of prescription drugs can attest to how much it costs.

If these drug makers had to compete on even footing with vitamins (and people were free to objectively post their results, good or bad, on a public forum so all could see whether a vitamin or herb can actually help or not), they would have to lower their prices. Additionally, other drugs to treat the same problem would appear. True, people will have to accept the risk that it might not work. However, if results were honestly posted, people would be able to make their own decisions on which drug (or herb, or vitamin--or nothing) is best for their case. Which would drive down drug prices, and in turn driving down medical costs for everyone. Hence, everyone would benefit (and not just from lower prices--lower prices and better products).

Supposed we had socialized computers back in the early 1970s. Everyone would be given a computer by the government, and the makers would be tightly regulated. You would have about 4 KB of memory (or, maybe 8), a monochrome monitor, floppy disc drives, no hard drives of any kind, no ability to upload or download videos or audio, and no Internet as we know it. And it would cost something like $100,000 or more (in 1975 dollars, no less). Computer makers would be wasting money trying to squash the competition instead of upgrading the product--no incentive for the $5,000 16K computer would exist, and we would never get up to 64K for $599. Let alone 8GB for $900.

I would prefer having a few people risking their lives on unproven products (voluntarily taking those risks), having the results objectively posted for all to see (so everyone could benefit), and end up getting better and better products at lower and lower costs. That would free up the emergency rooms for true emergencies (accidents and trauma cases), because most other medical conditions that generate emergencies would be much better treated. Ultimately, that would also drive insurance costs down, making it affordable for the average customer.

• designs
    designs

Our Blue Cross medical insurance costs us $1200.00 a month. I'd gladly pay a couple hundred bucks a month for a good national plan. Why not just expand the medical plan the US Senators have.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

For the price of 9 Aussie stamps (at 55cents each) I can buy (using my low income health care card- provided by the Oz Gov) my son's asthma puffers for the month $4:50 and still have change left to buy a pack of gum! I may not 'trust' Mr Rudd personally (hes got them shifty eyes), but I trust the system and it is there to serve the people- thats why they call these guys 'public servants'.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Coffee, Did you read the article? (Click on - Is It Now a Crime to Be Poor? - in my post above.)

You say you don't trust the government, yet your grandson is asking that same government to do something about homelessness.

You say you provided for your family's health care. Does it not matter that other's simply cannot do the same? How can you presume to judge the life circumstances of others?

From where I am sitting this is the mentality expressed by so many Americans today - "I've got mine. You get your own somewhere else. And don't do anything that might lower my property values while you're at it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit