Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

hey mary, a question:

if me (american, or mexican, or central/south american) cross the border to canada, and try to get treatment (for free) on cancer or heart problems, or etc... will they take care of me, or will they ship me back?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Six, when you said "we've decided", who exactly are you implying has decided? The party in power? Or a majority of voters?

Obama could not have been more clear during his campaign for the presidency that one main component of "change" meant changing the circumstance wherein 47 million American's were w/o formal health care.

No one can argue that fact.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ultimately, it seems to me it would reduce costs too, because ER's are supposed to provide care to all. That's an expensive way to do it. Seems to me.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Obama has written into the program, that nobody would be in the program unless they were here legally. By that, one assumes that everyone will have to show a birth certificate, green card etc. in order to buy into it. Bush refused to act on the illegal immigrant issue because he wanted to depress wages and keep the companies happy - at least Obama has put that clause into the policy.

As for Canada helping others - I don't believe they would allow you to die but they might ship you home immediately. On the flip side there are more than just a few Americans who take up fake residency in Canada and use their facilities and this drives up the cost of care and adds to the wait times.

Regarding private insurance - I had private insurance benefits with my last employer and it included vision care, long term and short term disability and life insurance at 2x the salary per year. Private insurance companies are not allowed to charge you for services already covered under the provincial care - that means that they play a far less intrusive role in your life. It also means that you still don't pay for the medical necessities. If you are getting a by pass, a hip replacement, cancer treatment, dialysis..all necessary medical care it's covered. As a footnote for all those people who keep bitching about lazy good for nothing people who will be even more lazy and good for nothing because they get something for 'free'....provincial care provides ward coverage (4 people to a hospital room) and my private insurance covered me for private (one person to a room). I was having elective surgery and the stay was a week - I CHOSE to stay in a ward because it didn't really matter to me. The room wasn't a big issue - so the notion that everybody takes advantage of this care is ridiculous. I'm just one example in a sea of many - sammieswife.

• dinah
    dinah
    if me (american, or mexican, or central/south american) cross the border to canada, and try to get treatment (for free) on cancer or heart problems, or etc... will they take care of me, or will they ship me back?

On that note, if I can get knocked up and make it to Canada to give birth, would my child be a Canadian citizen?

• beksbks
    beksbks
    if I can get knocked up

Hon, I'm betting you'll have no problem

• dinah
    dinah
    Hon, I'm betting you'll have no problem

I'm fixed---which was paid for by Blue Cross/Blue Shield (and my premiums). Medicaid won't pay for that until you are 25 (I think) no matter if you do already have 4-5 babies.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ok, hmmm you'll have no problem trying???

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    On that note, if I can get knocked up and make it to Canada to give birth, would my child be a Canadian citizen?

"Hear me, my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will f*** no more forever."

If you don't make it, your kid's gonna be a Montanan ;)

(and if anyone actually gets that joke, I probably want to have her children)

• dinah
    dinah
    Ok, hmmm you'll have no problem trying???

I try as often as I can, which is why I had the tubal. I don't need 16 kids!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit