Why is the US so afraid of Social Health Care?

by eyeslice 298 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I just don't get why the US is so afraid of social health care, and is so opposed to the Canadian and British models. The plain fact is that there are far more Americans without access to health care than the combined populations of Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.

A measure of the maturity of any society has to be how it sees fit to re-apportion its wealth.

We are quick to criticise African leaders who line their own pockets but leave the masses in poverty but cannot see that blindly following capitalist principles is much the same. If we live in a wealthy society then part of that wealth has to be put back into society as a whole.

Most of us here at some time in our lives regarded ourselves as Christians in one form or another, so surely we must still value the ideals of social justice and caring for the less fortunate. We haven't yet become heartless cynics have we?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have thought that some people are more afraid of Obama being successful than actually being afraid of Social Health Care.

Just some, I am sure lots of other reasons will be posted.

purps

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

In Australia I can go to the doctor or hospital for free anytime! In America, no money, no {doctors} service....it's pathetic! Watch Michael Moores Doco. "Sicko" or just go to Cuba for health care. Your government needs all it's money for warfare.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

In Australia- if your broke, it's ok, plenty of understanding people who have "been there too" that are happy for our country to provide free/or discounted medical treatment to the average Aussie battler! I am happy to pay tax to a gov that will provide treatment to anyone regardless of "do you have insurance???". Come on USA- your turn to learn how to "love thy neighbour" and "do unto others..... etc..." stop bloody whinging and let Obama do the job you voted him in to do!!!!

• brinjen
    brinjen

I think it's fear of the unknown more than anything else... just my opinion... I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

What ever happened to the whole- "bring me your poor and sick and I will give them shelter blah blah America is the land of promise and dreams blah blah poooie!" on the Statue of Liberty???

I'm happy to pay my taxes and not get back a whole lot back in my pocket at the end of the day cause I KNOW my hard earned dollar is being put back into the community that has given me so much. Where else in the world looks after it's poor/elderly/sick/new citizens better that Australia???

Man I live in the REAL Land of the Free- free medical/dental/education

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

"Now thats Money For Jam!" lol- had to add that for the Aussies reading this thread.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

There is such a division between the two major political parties here. Many people just agree with their party line on issues without understanding or thinking for themselves. (And yes, this does happen on both sides.)

Others are ideologically opposed to the government doing anything, for they see it as an increase in power/control that the government has over us.

Also, some of those with good insurance now are afraid that they will have worse health care coverage under a government plan.

There is certainly a lot of fear mongering with regards to this issue. Spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) is the quickest way to quell a change like this.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Because everything the government runs.... costs far more, has far more bureaucratic layers. Just plain inefficient. Examples: Medicare, Medicaid, the Post office...etc I don't think the American people trust the government to do this well. The pricetag on this will be haunting us for many generations to come.

Massachusetts, where I live. has been trying a version of this... and it is bankrupting the state.

Coffee

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Here is a brief overview of the German health system: http://www.bundesaerztekammer.de/page.asp?his=1.109.112.3313

I In Germany, nobody is without health care!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit