JW Defenders- Is WTS Right to Insist You Stay Away From these Websites?

by OnTheWayOut 307 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

OTWO, sorry dude, this won't be a long discussion as far as I am concerned...

Spike, you asked (Post 895):— What proof do you have? I'm interested in boning up on my Scriptural reasoning. How else can I do that, when I am not in association with the congegation (other than by singing with it and listening to its program)?

I posted one of the more referred to articles, you responded, and here is my counter: (Spikes comments in green)

JWN is not this type of site. (that is: a site started by JW's for JW's discussing scriptures, Field Service and meetings) It reminds me of the serious objections one receives in Field Service, which actually require me to look up the scriptures in the Index, and add to it from my Concordance; and to consult various of my other Bible translations, which helps me understand the Scriptures better, what I can defend and what I must wait for assistance regarding

JWN actually started as a neutral site, and has grown. Depending on your perspective, that can be good or bad. Certainly, JWN is not Governing Body friendly or approved. I merely copied pertinent information you requested in post 895. I don't think it pretends to be anything else.

Certainly, those who are now seeing the GB for what it really is will be welcomed, those who insist on defending an organization that continues to hurt people in a variety of ways while lying about their past are probably going to get a tougher time.

Personally, my experience on JWN this last month has helped me look into my actual NWT Reference Bible much more. I feel that I am learning how to "cease becoming unreasonable" and get to"perceiving what the will of Jehovah is." My TV viewing time is way down and my time spent on "family history" is almost nil, due to the full-time energy I expend, here on JWN.

Well, if thats what you want. My NWT reference bible is chock full of notes from Gilead, and I have used it to great effect since I left. To each their own. I don't begrudge your desire to not watch TV or looking into family history, whatever that means.

"no question" is not true from my experience. "We know them" might be true, but that still doesn't guarantee trust. "Brotherly love" and "true interchange of encouragement" are very consistently demonstrated in some individuals, less so with others. "On-line association" is true to some extent, in that I feel we're all outcasts to some extent; in others, it very much depends on how the posters attitude is.

I actually appreciated your honest response here. I wonder though, why stop there. No organization can guarantee or claim what JW's do. All of us here can bear witness to that. "Interchange of encouragment" is a thinly veiled JW term that is used to guilt the members into doing more, coming to meetings, going out in FS, etc.....

Every poster has their own attitude. If I can draw one comparison between this board and JW's, it is that anyone you might consider to be an irritant, jerk, whatever you want to call them, are their own person. Often times, a good person in JW's is not rated by how good, or Christlike they might be, but how much they tow the company line.

Spike, this is what caught my attention, and I have included the quote from the KM and your intriguing response to it.

AllTimeJeff (Post 1948) For Spike post #895

*** km 11/99 Use of the Internet—Be Alert to the Dangers! ***

16 There are no limits or checks on the kind of information that is maintained by and accessible to Internet users. Often, children and teenagers are easy targets of crime and exploitation in this environment. Children are trusting, curious, and anxious to explore the relatively new world of cyberspace. Parents therefore need to supervise their children and give them sound Scriptural guidance about using the Internet, just as they would guide them in their choice of music or movies.—1 Cor. 15:33.

Spike Tassel (Post 907):— I am a discerning adult with no impressionable ones around when I'm on JWN.

I thought it an interesting parsing of words myself when this first was published. Why talk and talk about apostates then target the kids? In addition, do you think this is limited to teens? No, it most certainly isn't. Here is another quote on the internet

*** km 9/02 p. 8 par. 5 Avoid the Pursuit of "Valueless Things" ***

God’s Appointed Channel: Bear in mind that our heavenly Father has an appointed channel of communication, "the faithful and discreet slave." That "slave" has the responsibility to determine what information is made available to the household of faith, as well as "the proper time" for it to be dispensed. This spiritual food is available only through the theocratic organization. We should always look to God’s appointed channel for reliable information, not to a network of Internet users.—Matt. 24:45.

I don't know how they could make it any plainer then that. JW's are simply not supposed to be here. But as you said earlier, your conscience allows that.

Why stop there? Why assign value to something that would cage back your free will and conscience? It is purposeful when we call the JW's "the borg".

Btw, I don't attack the JW's so much as the leadership of the Governing Body and Bethel heavies...... They have a clear agenda, and it hasn't changed a lick.

Immorality is something I definitely oppose. And I'm not interested in disowning the truth or believing information provided by apostates. I resist this spirit of treachery and all the moreso as I increase in my practical use of the Bible. In addition to Proverbs 2:10-19, I also like Proverbs 26:4-5, and find this ministry particularly enjoyable as share in it with those such as Reniaa (a regular-pioneer-type here on JWN).

Huh? I am not interesteted in dissuading you from being a JW. When you get reinstated, it seems you will be right at home, and I wish you well. Please be kind to those who have doubts, and don't treat them in the way the GB would like them to be treated. Try your best to be empathetic to families sawn in two because of disfellowshipping and the subsequent shunning that follows. Try to understand why the pedophile issue and the deliberate choice of how the GB has handled that basically proves that they cannot be "the one true religion". When someone asks you if JW's were part of the UN, don't lie, tell them the truth, that they were for over a decade. When you use the bible out in FS, remember that when you preach that 1914 is a real prophetic date that early 20th century JW's used, based on the date of Jerusalems fall being 606/607 BCE, that it is a bald faced lie.

Btw, I learned ALL of this by getting on the internet and meeting former JW's who helped me, and continue to help me out of a cult. I obviously can't support you coming on this forum and, along with Reinaa, lie about those who have left JW's, and lie about what is good about JW's. Because you and Reinaa have another agenda, and it involves lying, turning off your brain, and deceit, whether you want to call it "practical use of the bible" or not. You disrespect tens of thousands who have been irreparably harmed by this cult that you choose to support in small, Spike sized pieces.

It seems that you are determined to follow an unloving organization that lies about itself to its members and the public. I would not think of stopping a fool from doing what he must. Perhaps this is a necesarry leg on your life's journey that you must go through. To that, I wish you safe passage to the end.

PEACE! I have no issue with you. I really do pity you, and that isn't me trying to be condescending. Thats the truth.

• Gordy
    Gordy

The Governing Body doesn't even like JWs discussing the Bible amongst themselves, never mind with "apostates".

As this Kingdom Ministry of Sept 2007 shows:

*** km 9/07 p. 3 Question Box ***

Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorseindependent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate? -- Matt. 24:45, 47.

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of ourorganization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat rooms for the purpose of exchanging and debating their views. They have also held conferences and producedpublications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at ourChristian meetings and through ourliterature.

Throughout the earth, Jehovah's peopleare receivingample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah's organization. Under the guidance of his holy spirit and on the basis of his Word of truth, Jehovahprovides what is needed so that all of God's people may be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought" and remain "stabilized in the faith." (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) Surely we are grateful for Jehovah's spiritual provisionsin these last days. Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight. -- Matt. 24:45-47.

It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news. However, no personalpursuit should detract from what Jesus Christ is accomplishing through his congregation on earth today. In the first century, the apostle Paul warned about getting involved in exhausting, time-consuming subjects, such as "genealogies, which end up in nothing, but which furnish questions for research rather than a dispensing of anything by God in connection with faith." (1 Tim. 1:3-7) All Christians should strive to "shun foolish questionings and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile." -- Titus 3:9.

For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures, "All Scripture is Inspired of God and Beneficial," and our other publications, such as those that discuss the prophecies found in the Bible books of Daniel, Isaiah, and Revelation. These provideabundant material for Bible study and meditation, whereby we can be "filled with the accurate knowledge of [God's] will in all wisdom and spiritual comprehension, in order to walk worthily of Jehovah to the end of fully pleasing him as [we] go on bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the accurate knowledge of God." -- Col. 1:9, 10.

• Jack Burton
    Jack Burton

As to why I am disobedient is for my own conscience but I will not whine about it if I get rebuked for it, I accept the consequences of my choice including God's disaproval.

If I commited adultery I would also accept rebuke. We go into the witneses knowing what they preach

Reniaa

So you would be willing to have your life turned upside down by a judicial comitee by bringing up the fact that you post on sites like this?

I was DFed because I dared to bring up some of my questions about doctrine that I had been researching online. I did not even bring up "apostate" sites. Just using the word internet was enough for them.

Maybe instead of complaining about all the negativity on this site, try walking a mile in some of our shoes. Because I dared to use my brain, I went through hell with my wife and kids,(who are all out now), I am viewed as the spawn of Satan by my own mother, and have had to start my life over. Maybe you should realize that for some of us, the wounds have just started to scab over, and reading your pity party posts brings up some anger. If you came across a little less "persecuted", you would be taken more seriously.

If you keep poking someones open wound, don't be surprised if they feel like bitch slapping you. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, since I do not know you. Just my two cents.

• shadow
    shadow

Is WTS right to insist that "true Christians" stay away from websites that debate the Bible and WT doctrine?

"Insist", no. Suggest, yes.

If they are wrong, isn't it possible that they are not spirit-directed?

Question is framed as an absolute. I do not believe that is true. Is parent always right? No, but perhaps more often than not.

Even if they are wrong, aren't you running ahead of them instead of waiting on Jehovah to reveal new light for you to come to these websites and "save us" or whatever it is you think you are doing here?

Some of us are willing to make our own decisions.

What are you trying to get at?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Shadow..

You either follow the WBT$ Rules, or you don`t..

If you don`t,your not a JW..

I did`nt make the WBT$ Rules..

I just explain WBT$ Rules,to people who pretend to be JW`s..

............LOL!...OUTLAW

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

AllTimeJeff "Interchange of encouragment" is a thinly veiled JW term that is used to guilt the members into doing more, coming to meetings, going out in FS, etc.....

Spike Tassel I'd love to have my whole life "doing more [reading of WT publications and meeting prep (with others)], coming to meetings, going out in FS, etc...." I just don't know how to get there from where I'm at right now, other than what I'm doing right now.

AllTimeJeff*** km 9/02 p. 8 par. 5 Avoid the Pursuit of "Valueless Things" ***

God’s Appointed Channel: Bear in mind that our heavenly Father has an appointed channel of communication, "the faithful and discreet slave." That "slave" has the responsibility to determine what information is made available to the household of faith, as well as "the proper time" for it to be dispensed. This spiritual food is available only through the theocratic organization. We should always look to God’s appointed channel for reliable information, not to a network of Internet users.—Matt. 24:45.

Spike Tassel Whe I'm on my own (which is most of the time), I find it very difficult to think on the scriptures by myself, so I use JWN's Topics to give me reactionary stimulus, so that I get to know my Bible better, especially the footnotes.

AllTimeJeffWhen you get reinstated, it seems you will be right at home, and I wish you well. Please be kind to those who have doubts, and don't treat them in the way the GB would like them to be treated. Try your best to be empathetic to families sawn in two because of disfellowshipping and the subsequent shunning that follows. Try to understand why the pedophile issue and the deliberate choice of how the GB has handled that basically proves that they cannot be "the one true religion". When someone asks you if JW's were part of the UN, don't lie, tell them the truth, that they were for over a decade. When you use the bible out in FS, remember that when you preach that 1914 is a real prophetic date that early 20th century JW's used, based on the date of Jerusalems fall being 606/607 BCE, that it is a bald faced lie.

Spike Tassel If people have doubts, then that's something they have to work out for themselves. Just like I've had to. I look at the word "religion" from the NWT Reference Bible standpoint. You'll find that the only chapter in the NWT with "religion" in it is 2 Kings 17. The footnote at verse 26 shows that the literal translation for "religion" is "judgment"; "judicial decision". The elders are to congregations as parents are to families. The elders have a heavier accountability, just as parents do, since they both set and enforce "house rules". As to the UN, I would say that no, the WT was never PART of the U.N., but they had observer status. I believe the S.I. chronology regarding 6000 years of human history concluding in 1975, that Ussher was out by about 20 years. I've studied the Daniel book and the Revelation book with the Congregation since 1991, and have no problem with any of the WT reckoning on history.

Gordy Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorseindependent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate? -- Matt. 24:45, 47.

Spike Tassel I'm not interested in the thrust of this question. I'm interested in Bible discussion from a FS perspective

• shadow
    shadow

Outlaw,

You probably don't even realize you just called OnTheWayOut an idiot . . .

LOL!

Now I'll tip you off to something. Shhhhh . . . . we'll just keep this between us. Not all JW's follow all the rules

• flipper
    flipper

Is the WTS right to insist you stay away from these websites ? No they are wrong to insist we stay away from these websites. Because if the alleged " truth " they claim they have was so solid it would stand up to ANY test of research and comparison. To show the WT society is nervous about their dishonest practices and false promises to their followers - in the September 2007 Kingdom Ministry they essentially informed their members that they " didn't need to do any outside research. They were advised not to seek information on the internet about Jehovah's Witnesses , because all the research they need is in the WT socities publications. "

If that's not called " running scared " I don't know what is ! The truth of the matter is the WT society does NOT want Jehovah's Witnesses discovering information out about their organization - unless they dispense it. To me - that's " information control " and very dangerous for ANYBODY deceived by it

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Outlaw,

I don't see it that way, but if he did, I have been called worse. S'alright.

Shadow, you are free to feel as you do, but let me tell you some of why I differ.

"Insist", no. Suggest, yes.

The literature strongly suggests, that is true. The thing is, some have had to meet with a JC for this very thing.
    They are charged with apostasy. Sure, the best thing to do is not to tell the elders what you are up to, but occasionally family members turn someone in. So, if they can strongly suggest to my mother never to talk to me again because I post and read JWN and won't kiss their asses and agree to stop, it's a bit more than a suggestion.

If they are wrong, isn't it possible that they are not spirit-directed?

Question is framed as an absolute. I do not believe that is true.

I am not sure if I address your point in the way you mean it, but I think you mean that one instance of them being wrong doesn't make the absolute statement that follows true. So they can be wrong and still spirit-directed? Okay, fair enough. I know that they are wrong about many things. I just wanted opinions. Hmmm? What does spirit direction actually do for them? I fell for their double talk for years, but now I recognize that spirit direction and inspiration should be the same thing. If God "directs" them, then they should not write errors. If direction is not clear, then they should be discreet and not be so confident that their directives are correct.

That can start a whole argument. I don't really care to contribute, but it seems that the average member is supposed to recognize that the governing body could have been wrong in the past, but they are not wrong now. When something else changes, well, that's in the past now.

Some of us are willing to make our own decisions.

Isn't that a step in the right direction? Isn't that independent thinking? Isn't that wonderful? Keep going.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Shadow..

Outlaw,

..I did`nt call OTO an Idiot..

I doubt OTO would believe I called him an Idiot..Unless I actually called him an Idiot..

Only an idiot would make that assumption..

..LOL!!

LOL!

Now I'll tip you off to something. Shhhhh . . . . we'll just keep this between us. Not all JW's follow all the rules

..I know......If you don`t keep all the WBT$ Rules though.. Hard Core JW`s either think your Weak in the Truth ..or..Are`nt a JW at all......

Either way the WBT$ will sift the weak ones out..Hard Core Jehovah`s Witness`s are an important part,in that process..Your own will do you in!!

Thats how Law and Order is kept in Watchtower World..

We`ll just keep that between us.....And..6 1/2 million other Jehovah`s Witness`s..

Thanks for letting me know how things work..

.............................LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit