**** Some people don't teach their children manners. Grrr. ****

by FlyingHighNow 277 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

FHN:

Instead of trying to manipulate this woman with guilt and shame by saying (and giving her "the look" intended to induce shame/embarrassment):

"When I was a child, we gave up our chairs for adults." I gave her my "You're not slippin' that one by me, honey" look. "I know you know better."

Perhaps following the advice of your therapist would have been a wiser course of action:

Shame is not something helpful in a situation like this. My therapist, Doctor Julia Mohr, who is also a Catholic Domincan Nun, told me shame never works. It only trains a person in appropriate [sic], non productive/destructive guilt.

And, unlike you and your penchant for rudely assuming another poster's emotional/hormonal state, I wouldn't dream of bringing up your entire posting history of attention seeking, self-important threads, because that would be disrespectful.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

This is one thread I would love to see reniaa hijack.

W

• shamus100
    shamus100

WTF is going on here? 10 pages... (nearly) and no trolls? Are things getting back to normal? Of course, it would be nice to see something that isn't so trivial.

We deal with ill manners every day. What someone considers poor manners, we could see no problem with. Go to a five - star restaurant without learning proper etiquette, and people will say the same thing about you. (i.e. put down your knife and fork when you chew your food!)

That's what part of being in public is all about, unfortunately. Dealing with people's bad and good habits, and accepting them. Everyone has different upbringings. There's too much judgment in the world, and I am just as guilty as the rest.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Learn from it. It's a sign of poor self-esteem not to, if I'm not mistaken. It's not the end of the world, and not worth ten pages of talk.

• undercover
    undercover

I haven't read all nine pages of comments (9!!) so maybe the thread has gone off on some tangent but having just read the first post, my comments on that are:

Part of me says that I would have said something to the effect of, "I see only you and one child. This area cannot be reserved. I'll sit over in this chair and you can have the sofa and other chair." If she made a stink, let her call the manager. I'm sure the manager would have set her straight.

Then again, if I want to read quietly, the last thing I want is a rude woman and her brats anywhere near me, so I might would have said, "Thanks for the warning. If your kids are as considerate as you are, then I want to be as far away from you and your little brats as possible."

• minimus
    minimus

I hate unmannered people, especially people who "take over" like no one else counts!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Scully, Oldrade, Cog, Purps, and others, I'm glad to see some people finally speaking some of what they've been holding back here!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thanks, Undercover, your post made me smile. JWDaughter, I hope you continue to have easier days with your kids. They all go through their stages. Yeah, Finally, where is Reniaa? I think she prefers more JW subjects. This subject surely brings out the passion in people. shamuss, you're right as usual, thanks my friend. You, too Mini, thanks. I think people are pretty divided here on the subject, which is pretty usual on the subject of kids and manners. And the rest of the ladies who spent time and thought here, hey, I'll take one on the chin. I do think about the things you've said.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am amazed that F H N is taking flak for simply expecting courtesy and civilized behaviour in a public library ..She was perfectly in order IMHO ..

• flipper
    flipper

What Blues Brother said ! High fives for Flying High Now ! Some of these children learn bad manners from ignorant, boorish parents like the one you described

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My take on it: If I'm in a public place and there's a vacant chair, I'll sit in it if I choose to. There's no such thing as "reserved seating" in libraries. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, but if someone else chose to they would have been told, very politely, to fuck off.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit