**** Some people don't teach their children manners. Grrr. ****

by FlyingHighNow 277 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Some people don't teach their children YOUR version of manners. They teach them their own version of good manners. If you feel so strongly that children giving up seats to adults is the only correct behaviour to have, then why not say something to educate her? Wouldn't you be doing her a favor. Why passively fume in the children's section and just hope she gets the message? Why not passionately defend your RIGHT to the chair?

I am exasperated by this discussion. Does that make you an exasperating person or does it just make me easily exasperated? Project much?

• Odrade
    Odrade

You call "In MY day we weren't allowed to do XYZ!" and giving her a 'shame on you, you know better' look, "assertive but polite?" Well, THERE'S the crux of the whole matter right there. YOU thought you were being polite. Many of us feel YOU were the rude one. Since that is the case, do you think there may be just the tiniest chance that maybe you should be reassessing YOUR behavior?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    "When I was a child we were taught not to make such rude hand gestures." and gave you the "I know you know better"

I don't find this rude at all. I'd ask him about the gesture and what it meant. I'd tell him that Julian had no knowledge of the cultural difference and we'd both apolgize, out of gentility.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Perhaps because he was presuming to tell you how to raise your grandson, which is not his business.
    No, he would be enlightening us on his culture and that the okay sign is offensive. If he is being assertive about being offended, that is something understandable. He isn't telling me how to raise my grandson. He is telling us something offended him.

I must tell you, that is absolutely not how you came across to me in your opening post. You came across as presuming to tell this woman how to raise her children... to me, anyway.

Jackie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good night, Odrade and have a pleasant tomorrow. Never lose that passionate edge.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'll take that as a "No, I don't need to reassess my behavior. I'm always self-righteous right."

True colors. Yours are showing. I think your mother might have forgotten to teach you some manners.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Why can't you believe the woman had no knowledge of your belief about children giving up chairs to adults before you gave her the "I know you know better" look?

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    "When I was a child we were taught not to make such rude hand gestures." and gave you the "I know you know better"
    I don't find this rude at all.

Perhaps the mother didn't find it rude at all to refuse to make her son give up his saved seat for you.

Jackie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    You came across as presuming to tell this woman how to raise her children... to me, anyway.

And if you feel this way, nothing I say will change your mind. And in the words of Stuart Smally, "And that's okay. "

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good night, ladies. It's late.

Good night, Cal. Sweet dreams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit