**** Some people don't teach their children manners. Grrr. ****

by FlyingHighNow 277 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good night, Odrade. I trust this has been a cathartic experience for you.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Calibre;

Individual libraries can make their own rules and policies and if such was the case in FHN's library about not reserving seats, then she could have just sat down and if the mother said anything then pointed to the rules on the wall. End of issue.

The debate here was about much more general statements that were made asserting that "good" manners make it imperative that children give up their seats to adults.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We don't live in Japan or Asia. I didn't ask any kids to give up their seats. They were empty seats. The mother asked me not to sit in the empty chairs. Common sense tells us that tired kids or disabled kids would need a place to sit. You're disecting this to a minute degree.

Thank you, Caliber. You're a sweetheart.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

The gesture that many Americans think to be universal to indicate "OK" or "I agree", or "Great" which is a hand sign that employs the fingers spread with the tips of thumb and index finger forming a circle, is an obscene gesture in many countries, notably Brazil and Southern Europe.

So, FHN, if you were in the library with your grandson and he made the "OK" hand sign and someone from Brazil or Southern Europe said, "When I was a child we were taught not to make such rude hand gestures." and gave you the "I know you know better" look... and did this in front of your grandson... who is being rude? Are you being rude for not teaching your grandson not to make an "OK" gesture because it is something this man was taught was impolite when he was young? Or is the man being rude for presuming to tell you what behavior to teach your grandson in this regard? You can't necessarily assume that this woman thinks teaching her children to give up saved seats to an adult is the polite thing to do, and to not only assume so but to take it upon yourself to school her on your views in front of her children seems far more disrespectful to me than her not forcing her children to give up a saved seat. Do I think a kid should give up a seat to an adult with 7 books? Probably, yes. But I don't presume to tell other people that they should believe so just because I do.

Just my two cents...

Jackie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    asserting that "good" manners make it imperative that children give up their seats to adults.

Imperitive is your word. I didn't tell her it was imperitive that her kids do any particular thing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Jackie, I told her what it was like when I was a child. I didn't tell her what she should believe.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I wonder how the child would have felt had FHN just taken the seat, when he came back from the stacks and discovered his chair was appropriated by a stranger? Funny how the feelings of the child are not being considered here at all... just the entitlement of one judgmental adult. What a great lesson in rudeness and disrespect THAT would have been.

And of course, the "you should know better" look wasn't "telling her what to believe?"

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Jackie, I told her what it was like when I was a child. I didn't tell her what she should believe

And in my example the man would have just told you what it was like when he was a child, not what you should believe. I imagine, though, that you would have been offended by his comment and the look he gave you in front of your grandson anyway.

Jackie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    "When I was a child we were taught not to make such rude hand gestures." and gave you the "I know you know better" look... and did this in front of your grandson... who is being rude?

My grandson would be glad to learn that there was a cultural difference. I'd also be glad for him to learn about it.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Learning about a cultural difference would be one thing... are you telling me you wouldn't have been offended by the comment, the look, and the attitude behind it displayed in front of your grandson?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit