One of the Governing Body had a stroke yesterday

by AndersonsInfo 426 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Barbara, Thank you for your insights. I read the board quite regularily and always seek out your posts.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Barbara, you just earned an(other) amdirer!

While I understand the feelings behind some comments, I see that some people here get easily carried away and start acting in the way they so much critize the WTS for acting.

For nearly two decades, as an elder, temporarily at Bethel, as a Traveling Overseer, I saw many times -almost all of the time- the WTS taking care of people, myself and my family. Even after we had to leave the circuit work, and go to a 'normal life' (not in the 'full time service' at all), they had an extremely generous gesture and gave us practical ($) help when our family faced an adversity.

Yes, I also know (and have seen) stories of people treated not so fairly in my view. As an active witness an elder, I am at the point where "I have come to doubt / all that I once held as true" (with regards to Paul Simon). But I refuse to oscillate to the other end and become a JW hater. I admire people like you, who take a stance but keep balance. Believe me, an objective critic is a rare gem.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Yes, coffee_black, that's the way it was in those years. The WT did not financially help widows of COs and DOs. Whether they had little money to do so is something I can't speculate upon. I could talk about the mind-set in those days towards this issue, but we old timers know what the attitude we all had then was like. We gave our all to the work, and in many cases our life. It was the work that was important, not us.

I remember when we were in Bethel there was a couple in the district work named Franke?. Their territory was Washington State and surrounding areas. When he died of a heart attack, she had nothing but the little trailer they pulled to live in. She had to go to work. We felt so sorry for her, but what else could be done. Is the Society under obligation to support people who are in special work even when they are no longer in special work? In recent years, people who sign on to do this kind of work are informed by WT about the ins and outs of the work, but not years ago. Special servants were true believers and never expected to grow old and die. On both sides of the fence--the people in the Service Dept. who sent special servants out into the field and those in the field believed the same about their future: there wasn't any so why worry about it. Only later due to complaints from a growing organization, the Society was forced to confront this issue and began to provide insurance, cars, places to live, etc., to special servants, but they had the money to do so. However, now they have to reorganize again. Special servants are a liability and money is scarce.

Barb

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Barbara,

Can you talk about one of the changes that you led to having instituted?

Thanks

• undercover
    undercover
    Just like any other man-made organization, such as General Electric, the Republican party, or the Boston Red Sox, it's neither all-good nor all-bad.

You're not a Yankee's fan are you?

But Ms. Anderson's points are well taken. There are good people in the organization...

However, I do reserve the right to not admire, like or respect anyone in a position of authority that has caused much anquish, pain and suffering among people who thought they were serving God but were only serving a publishing company.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Undercover: I agree with you. Because I feel the same way that's why I shed no tears for Teddy Jaracz.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Barbara, I admire your insights on the organization, having been on the inside. You present things in such a calm and gracious manner, I enjoy reading all you post...Thanks!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

WinstonChurchill

My friend, I agree with your sentiments. My one target if you will, is the GB, not the people as a whole. I have said many times, and I will say it again, I miss my friends, they were good friends and good people. However, I have seen and believe that the GB knows that JW dogma is wrong.

My experience is different from most, but I personally feel that the leadership of the organization is what is reprehensible. Knowing what I do now, and having met most of the men who had influence and authority, it was shocking to me to see the lack of unity and even agreement from the leadership.

Just by the sheer reaction to the news on this thread, it is clear to me the pain that TJ has caused. It might not be pretty, but that level of emotion, that anger, is very real, and it is not something to be dismissed.

Having said that, to have people like Barbara or Ray Franz be as balanced in their treatment of JW's overall is very refreshing and compelling. It certainly helped me when I needed it the most.

• minimus
    minimus

is he dead yet?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Damn Min I had the same question!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit