so they never claimed to be an inspired prophet?

by ninja 189 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Steve2:

However, I also recall a Bible passage (in one of the gospels?) that warns about those who are always saying the day of the end is near? Anyone know the Book, chapter and verse?

I believe this is the scripture that you're looking for, Steve:

Luke 21:8, King James Version

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am [ Christ ]; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

I'm sorry, I did not see your post, Olin.

And Reniaa, you didn't quote that scripture.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

*sticky note*

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: Captives of a Concept Those are great points. As a non-witness I can't see how the WTS could refute them.

The way the Watch Tower Witness refutes everything they don't like is they shun and snub the people who present the information that they don't like.

• androb31
    androb31

Reniaa,

I'm fairly new to the forum and after reading a few of your posts I have to say you are definitely a glutton for punishment. I usually stay in the background and read but I'm a little confused on this statement you made:

"wrong dates for bible prophecy is not prophecy, at worst it is wrongful reading of signs"

Could you please elaborate on the above statement?

I mean, the way I'm understanding your logic is that I can take scripture, attach dates to it, promote it, and if it doesn't come true then it's ok because I'm just being eager. Right? All I need to say is, see, it's "bible prophecy", God put it in there I didn't. It's not my fault I'm reading the signs wrong. Who's at fault then? God?

Also, somehow I'm quite certain that if a different body of Christians did just that and it became public knowledge the WT would have a heyday pointing out how "Christendom" is a false prophet so they could further their claim to being "the Truth".

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Marjorie for the chapter and verse. Wonderful! Call it my JW-upbringing, but I find it hard recalling Scriptures that run counter to the JW teachings on prophecies!

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Steve, you're right! I cannot recall ever reading that particular scripture in any of the Society's publications!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

or was it Bwa Bwa Bwa Bwa Bwa.........

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Actually they are Spirit Guided but not inspired(like St.John, Paul, Peter) But we should obey to them like they were inspired, even though they NEVER managed to see a single future event!!!

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Reniaa: You either didn't look into the history of the watchtower publications or you are in self denial or both! Even if one can agree to most doctrines taught by watchtower it's perfectly obvious from research that 1914 is a LIE! Not only is it a lie it's a deception that governing body uses to snare unknowing public which most of its followers would fall under the category. There was no sign in 1914 since Russell didn't teach 1914 as anything common to watchtower witnesses today other than end of gentile times! Even that date he seemed to waver as to 1914,1915. Obviously Christ didn't return then and it's obvious that 1919 is a lie! If Christ didn't return and didn't appoint faithful and discreet slave in 1919 then who are these men sitting claiming to be appointed? Are they not the men of lawlessness? Just because they may use the bible and may teach good things and yet when the teachings that they feed their flock is poinsoned what benefit is this spiritual food? The chronology is false and the governing body knows it or they must be totally be dumb which I doubt that they can be that ignorant. You can hold on to the belief that Jehovah will correct things in due time but when this organization was a business venture from the start what makes you think that when Christ does return, he won't start cleansing those that by word and action were proving to be false prophets? How ever you may spin it, they taught which later they claimed they only thought that 1914 was going to be the end, or that 1925 would see resurrection of ancient worthies or that 1975 was going to very possibly be the end. I guess I should have included 1874 in the above nonsense dates! Your reasoning could have been applied to the false prophets in Jewish era and they could have argued in a similar manner that they weren't prophets but that they didn't have a full understanding of what they were saying. Facts are that governing body including Rutherford and Russell spoke of dates and events as if bible pointed to these events thus saying that they had knowledge that others didn't or couldn't discern. If these actions were to occur during the Israel Kingdom these similar teachers would be considered prophets and when these teachings would have been proven false these would have been stoned to death as being false! I can understand you defending some aspects or teachings but defending governing body or a watchtower as a whole is ridiculous! Satan decieved and so do these men, just because there is some truth doesn't mean the food given to the flock isn't rotten or unhealthy for eating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit