so they never claimed to be an inspired prophet?

by ninja 189 Replies latest watchtower bible

• reniaa
    reniaa

wrong dates for bible prophecy is not prophecy, at worst it is wrongful reading of signs but since we are told to watch for the signs and act accordingly we are bound to look for them.

Luke 12:42-46 (New International Version)

42 The Lord answered, "Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? 43 It will be good for that servant whom the master finds doing so when he returns. 44 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 45 But suppose the servant says to himself, 'My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk. 46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

• Satanus
    Satanus

So, jesus will cut the governating body to pieces???

S

• rebel8
    rebel8

“Jehovah's Witnesses do not claim to be inspired prophets.” - Reasoning From the Scriptures (1985, 1989)

“You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets ... Jehovah's Witnesses.”-Awake 6/8/1986
     "One God alone could be supreme and all-powerful; and one such God could mean only one true religion, namely, the one 
    right worship of this one supreme, almighty God. His religion is one of right belief and is harmonious in all its expressions,
    just as true physical science is harmonious and not self-contradictory. The true religion of the one God does not disagree
    with itself
    , deny itself or get divided with itself. If it had internal disagreement, contradiction and disunity, it could never stand;
    it could not be simple truth
    ; it would disagree with the scientific laws of the universe; it could not triumph in the long-drawn-out
    conflict between true religion and false. But true religion must triumph, because truth cannot be destroyed. That is why, despite
    all the many false religions in the world, the true religion has lived through till this day..."--Watchtower 11/15/1963

• steve2
    steve2

I suppose it's a matter of balance and yes, JWs are not alone in this regard. Adventist groups have been trigger-happy about the imminence of the end since about 1844, although, like the JWs, have become less inclined to link it to prophetic dates of siginficance.

However, I also recall a Bible passage (in one of the gospels?) that warns about those who are always saying the day of the end is near? Anyone know the Book, chapter and verse?

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

The WT becomes quite Bill Clinton-esque when it comes to the word "prophet." And it's not surprising. This is one area in which a plain reading of scripture indicts the Society cleanly and crisply.

Thus, the Society uses "weasel words" and sophistry in order to somehow rationalize that making predictions in God's name is not prophecy. If that's not prophecy, then what in the world does the word mean? Basically, they eviscerate any meaning of the word in order to save their own skin.

Note the Society's favorite scriptures (Matt. 24:45-51 and Luke 12:42-46). In both accounts, which servant/slave is expecting the Lord to return at a particular time? Not the "faithful" one, but rather the "evil" one--because he is the one who thinks his master is delaying. In order to think the master is delaying, he must have identified a particular time at which he expected the master to return.

And who identified a time at which the master was expected to return? Well, that would be the Watchtower Society.

And Steve2, I think you're referring to Luke 21:8...another verse that blows the Society out of the water.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"wrong dates for bible prophecy is not prophecy,"

You are right. If you and I were studying and I said "I think this bible verse means....." but I was wrong, that would not make me a false prophet.

But when the WTS says "Jehovah’s prophetic word through Christ Jesus IS:

This generation [of 1914] will by no means pass away until all things occur.”

Not, could be Jehovah's word, or could be 1914, or We think this is what is means, but IS. And BTW you had better believe it and trust it because not trusting the FDS is the same as not trusting God. (quote on request)

That's a false prophecy.

Peace

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    4 But suppose the servant says to himself, 'My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

Is the beating of the other servants the reason why they are closing the printeries in Europe and freezing new Kingdom Hall construction in North America? Is neglecting old Bethelites why Jehovah has withdrawn his support for Book Study in homes? Is beating people that concientiously disagree with the WatchTower why Jehovah said we have soo many Awakes that people are falling asleep so lets cut it down to only one? Is the splitting up of the WT into separate legal corporations a "cutting to pieces" for supporting the UN through their membership?

BTS

• reniaa
    reniaa

i just quoted luke olin"

45 But suppose the servant says to himself, 'My master is taking a long time in coming,'"

there is no indication from this of your assumption that dates are involved. the emphasis is on the legth of time Jesus is taking.

again here in mathew there is no indication dates involved.

Matthew 24:45-51 (New International Version)

45 "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

this makes your following statement pure assumption on your part

In order to think the master is delaying, he must have identified a particular time at which he expected the master to return. -olin

but lets look at the following

2 Peter 3:3-8 (New International Version)

3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised?Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

again here they are marked by not recognising the signifiance of what is around them.

2 Peter 3:12-14 (New International Version)

12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. [a] That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.

we are told to keep looking forward to keep watch, so again showing that readiness is asked of God's people in this time expectation of bible prophecy fulfillment which directly contradicts your own conjecture

Mark 13:35-36 (New International Version)

35 "Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36 If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping.

• Satanus
    Satanus

What are you saying, reniaa??

S

• rebel8
    rebel8

I just heard, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit