WHY don't Americans realize GUNS are destroying their country?

by Witness 007 334 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock

I thought Bush was destroying the country.

I guess I was wrong.

Warlock

• oompa
    oompa

so does anyone who posted on this thread think it is possible to get all guns off of this planet?....it just reminded me of an original star trek where kirk made a primitive gun/cannon at some planet while trying to save his life and defeat a much stronger monster....he did shoot him...but decided he would not kill him....he made the gun from scratch so to speak....i do not think ANY country can get rid of all guns....but i sure as heck want to have one if most others dont.............oompa

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    so does anyone who posted on this thread think it is possible to get all guns off of this planet?....

from the perp of this thread it would seem it was accomplished in Australia by mass lobotomy. alt Its a joke people come on!! Just a jokealt

No oompa not as long as Im alive.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    so does anyone who posted on this thread think it is possible to get all guns off of this planet?

God's going to do it, and when he does, he's going to take you and you and you and you and you along with the guns. Sinners, the lot of ya.

• avishai
    avishai

Yep. Guilty. And proud of it.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    WHY don't Americans realize GUNS are destroying their country?

In my opinion this shows the rigidity of their constitution. At one time guns were needed in America. During the developing years of the country guns were needed.

In modern America, criminals now have the guns. The only protection guns now serve, is a protection against criminals. Criminals have guns, therefore people need to protect themselves against crime, rather than the original need for guns.

The motives for 'bearing arms' now is different, to when the constitution was amended. Guns are now an integral part of crime and in my opinion if this amendment wasn't in the constitution, gun crime would not be out of control. But now i feel it's too late, it's a bit like shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

In Britain for example, after the Dunblane massacre hand guns were outlawed. Carrying a hand gun now has an automatic 5 year sentence. The application of this sentence is something that needs to be looked at. As within the legislation, judges in exceptional circumstance can use their discretion. This therefore means, that many do not in fact go to prison and judges have been criticised for using this clause too much. Obviously there is gun crime in this country, but at the same time the government has been doing something about it.

In my opinion a hard line should be taken in America, but it's not going to happen as it's going to be near impossible to amend the constitution as the gun lobby is so powerful.

Paul

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Emailed to me by a friend this weekend,

http://www.catb.org/~esr/guns/gun-ethics.html

BTS

• avishai
    avishai

>>>>>In Britain for example, after the Dunblane massacre hand guns were outlawed. Carrying a hand gun now has an automatic 5 year sentence. The application of this sentence is something that needs to be looked at. As within the legislation, judges in exceptional circumstance can use their discretion. This therefore means, that many do not in fact go to prison and judges have been criticised for using this clause too much<<<<<

Then it's not automatic, is it?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    after the Dunblane massacre hand guns were outlawed.

Do you guys enjoy living in a police state just because it makes you feel safer? One might be inclined to wear a full pillow suit so if they trip and fall they wont be hurt. Better yet why not legislate padding on all sidewalks? The mere possession of an instrument that could possibly/potentially be used in a crime makes you a criminal? You are guilty of a crime before you commit it?

I cant understand the mind from which these ideas come.

• zagor
    zagor

I think this story below hits the heart of the problem, which is an easy access to firearms. Just out of curiosity, does any American state have any form of licensing as far as firearms are concern? Where I live you have to go through major police check ups before you are allowed to obtain a license. Interestingly, we have a very low crime rate as well. Those two wouldn't have anything to do with each other, would they?

Illinois baby obtains gun permit

Bubba Ludwig may only be 10 months old, but he has already successfully obtained a gun licence in the US state of Illinois. Bubba's father, Howard Ludwig, applied on his behalf after his grandfather gave him a shotgun as an heirloom.

Mr Ludwig said he had not expected to succeed, but he filled in the online form, paid $5 and the licence was his. US gun laws are regularly the subject of fierce debate, renewed recently after April's Virginia Tech killings.

Gunman Cho Seung-hui was able to exploit a loophole in Virginia state law and obtain weapons despite having a history of mental illness. The loophole was later closed.

Technical problems

The licence includes a picture of a toothless Bubba and a squiggle that represents his best attempt at a signature.

In an article in the Chicago Sun-Times, Mr Ludwig, 30, said that he expected the application to be turned down. Two rejections did in fact come, he said, but both related to technical problems - on one application he forgot to tick a box stating his son was a US citizen - rather than Bubba's youth.

His third attempt was rewarded with a state firearm owner's identification card (FOID), complete with details of Bubba's height, weight and date of birth.

'No age restrictions'

Illinois gun laws are said to be among the strictest in the US. But Illinois State Police, who oversee the application process, said that they had followed the law in this case.

"Does a 10-month-old need a FOID card? No, but there are no restrictions under the act regarding age of applicants," the Associated Press news agency quoted Lt Scott Compton as saying. Mr Ludwig said Bubba's gun would likely remain at his grandfather's house until he was 14.

"I'm not about to approve any unsupervised hunting or trap shooting for Bubba," he wrote in the Chicago daily. "Still, I'm glad he was able to get his FOID card. It makes an adorable addition to his baby book."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6662213.stm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit