WHY don't Americans realize GUNS are destroying their country?

by Witness 007 334 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

How far does one go to protect their property?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

Joe Horn shooting controversy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

The Joe Horn shooting controversy refers to the events of November 14, 2007, in Pasadena, Texas, United States when local resident Joe Horn shot and killed two men burglarizing his neighbor's home. Publicized recordings of Horn's exchange with emergency dispatch indicate that he was asked repeatedly not to interfere with the burglary, because the police would soon be on hand. [ 1 ] The shootings have resulted in debate regarding self-defense, Castle Doctrine laws, and Texas laws relating to use of (deadly) force to prevent or stop property crimes. The illegal alien status of the burglars has been highlighted because of the U.S. border controversy. [ 2 ] On June 30, 2008, Joe Horn was cleared by a grand jury in the Pasadena shootings.

Joe Horn, 61, spotted two burglars breaking into his next-door Vietnamese-American neighbor's home in Pasadena, Texas. He called 911 to call police to the scene. While on the phone with emergency dispatch, Horn stated that he had the right to use deadly force to defend property, referencing a law (Texas Penal Code § 9.41., § 9.42., and § 9.43.) which justified the use of deadly force to protect property. He stated that he was going to go outside and confront the burglars. As the burglars were exiting his neighbor's home, and approaching Horn's home, Horn exited his home with his shotgun, while the 911 Operator tried to dissuade him from that action. On the 911 tape, he is heard confronting the suspects, saying, "Move, and you're dead", [ 3 ] immediately followed by the sound of a shotgun blast, followed by two more. [ 4 ] Following the shootings Mr. Horn told the 911 operator, "They came in the front yard with me, man, I had no choice!" [ 5 ]

Police initially identified the dead men in Horn's yard as 38-year-old Miguel Antonio DeJesus and Diego Ortiz, 30, both of Houston of Afro Latino descent. However, DeJesus was actually an alias of Hernando Riascos Torres, 38. [ 3 ] They were carrying a sack with more than $2,000 cash and jewelry taken from the home. Both were convicted criminals from Colombia who had entered the country illegally, and were members of an organized burglary ring in Houston. [ 1 ] Police found a Puerto Rican identification card on Ortiz while Torres had three identification cards from Colombia, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic, and had been previously sent to prison for dealing cocaine and was deported in 1999. [ 6 ]

A plain clothes police detective responding to the 911 call had arrived at the scene before the shooting and witnessed the escalation and shootings, while remaining in his car. [ 3 ] His report on the incident indicated that the men who were killed "received gunfire from the rear". [ 1 ] Police Capt. A.H. Corbett stated the two men ignored Mr. Horn's order to freeze and one of the suspects ran towards Joe Horn before he angled away from him toward the street when he was shot in the back. Pasadena police confirmed that the two men were shot after they ventured into his front yard. The detective did not arrest Horn.

The incident touched off protests, led by community activist Quanell X, that were met by counter-protests from Horn's supporters. [ 7 ] [ 8 ] [ 9 ] [ 10 ]

Contents

[ hide ]

[edit] Joe Horn

Joe Horn is a native Houstonian who took an early retirement from AT&T in 1998. Later that year he moved in with his daughter, Rhonda, and her husband in Kentucky to help raise his grandchildren who call him "Papa Joe." After his daughter was widowed in 1998 the remainder of the family moved to Houston and Horn went back to work so his daughter could take care of the children. When Rhonda re-married, she and her husband purchased a home and asked Mr. Horn to move in. In 2003 he accepted and moved in once more.

An only child, Horn graduated from Sam Houston High School in 1964. He went to work as a 7-Eleven store clerk immediately after high school. Two years afterwards, he started work in the communications industry, eventually working his way up to a computer program manager for AT&T before retiring in 2003.

He was proficient in guns because of hunting, which he lost interest in years before the shooting. [ 11 ]

[edit] Death threat

What can be construed as a death threat was made anonymously to the District Attorney in which the following was said: “You better indict Joe Horn, and you better find him guilty. Because if you don’t, somebody is gonna kill him on the outside, and if he go to prison he gonna be killed on the inside … We waiting on him in prison, and we waiting on him on the outside.” [ 12 ] [ 13 ]

[edit] Grand jury

On June 30, 2008 a Harris County grand jury cleared Mr. Horn by issuing a no-bill after two weeks of testimony. [ 14 ]

[edit] Reaction to no bill

Quanell X said he is meeting with civil attorneys to discuss the next legal move. He said he planned to lobby lawmakers to change the Castle Doctrine, which he believes is racially motivated. [ 15 ] He went on to say, "This was a wild and out-of-control Western-thinking, gun-toting man who saw the opportunity to be judge, jury and executioner, and Harris County let him get away with it. But we’re not going to let him get away with it." [ 15 ]

[edit] National reactions

The Glenn Beck Program has conditionally taken up Horn's defense, but allowed that "property isn't worth killing over." [ 16 ]

http://212.58.226.17:8080/1/hi/talking_point/720426.stm

How far should you go to protect your property? Tony Martin clearly thought he was acting in self-defence when he shot at two burglars who entered his Norfolk farmhouse last August. He killed one of the intruders, 16-year-old Fred Barras. Yesterday a jury found him guilty of murder and he got a life sentence.

Some of Tony Martin's supporters claim that rural crime in the UK is on the increase and they feel vulnerable and exposed.

But does that mean people should take the law into their own hands in order to protect their property? Should we have the right to protect it, whatever the consequences? What do you think?

you might want to read the comments posted at the site for Tony Martin, they are for and against what happened and not JW's or ex-JW's or Americans for that matter.

purps

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Do the criminals in Australia have guns?

• yknot
    yknot

Witness007

You do realize guns are used for other things then self-protection .... what say you on the matter of hunting, rattlesnakes and sport?

That said if a man entered my home while my husband was away on business with the intent of using force to gain whatever he was seeking, should I stand by quietly and let my home be robbed, children and myself be terrorized, kidnapped, beat, molested, raped or murdered?

If this man has breached all the other security measures taken by me and my husband....... does it not show his determination.

There are people in this world who choose to do evil acts. Why under your current disposition must I be made to suffer a victims fate? Any 14-15 year old boy could easily overpower me physically.

More then often crimes committed with guns are used by persons the law doesn't allow to have guns. They obtained them illegally for the purpose of engaging in criminal activity. In my state we have an automatic 25 years sentence if a criminal uses or insinuates he has a gun.

Instead of attacking guns, why not attack the other reasons crime happens? Lack of education, poor social/moral structure, and absent family support........ Yes I will concede there are those among us who have imbalances in the brain that cause them to have less morals but why not institute early prevention through dectection and treatment? Why punish those of us who enjoy hunting and marksmanship? Most gun owners are very responsible stewards.

• oompa
    oompa
    leavingwt: Do the criminals in Australia have guns?

awww cmon dude...there is no crime in Australia!!!!.........where are you from???.........oompa

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    What we should be talking about is WHY do some kids go on a killing rampage in schools. Guns are only the tool they use to kill.

An 8 year old kid shot and killed his father and his fathers friend - he was arrested. Odds are that he wouldn't have murdered them without access to the gun. (and I'm not getting into a debate about why he did it)

There was another shoot out at a Washington mall - killed 2 people. That nutjob wouldn't have murdered two innocent people out shopping in a mall without access to a gun. Odds are he wouldn't have gone in with a baseball bat swinging or he'd of been taken down really, really fast.

A kid of 16 shot and killed at his high school parking lot. A fist fight might have been a lot safer and maybe not lethal way to solve their issue - I don't know.

Guns are the tool they use - remove the tool and how would they do it then? And would the results be so lethal? Just asking...sammieswife.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    remove the tool and how would they do it then?

Some drugs are illegal too. You think because of that I couldnt go out and be back with a dime in 15 mins?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

An 8 year old kid shot and killed his father and his fathers friend - he was arrested. Odds are that he wouldn't have murdered them without access to the gun. (and I'm not getting into a debate about why he did it)

There was another shoot out at a Washington mall - killed 2 people. That nutjob wouldn't have murdered two innocent people out shopping in a mall without access to a gun. Odds are he wouldn't have gone in with a baseball bat swinging or he'd of been taken down really, really fast.

A kid of 16 shot and killed at his high school parking lot. A fist fight might have been a lot safer and maybe not lethal way to solve their issue - I don't know.

Guns are the tool they use - remove the tool and how would they do it then? And would the results be so lethal? Just asking...sammieswife.

Good points and yes guns makes it easier to kill, trying to kill a lot of people with a knife, sword a baseball bat is much harder. Guns make killing easy I don't think any one can argue with that. The problem is how and why do these people have access to guns.If guns were totally banned or there would be more control on guns I think people would still kill innocent people with guns or any thing else they can get their hands on (Just look at prisoners).Maybe it would be easier to just have every body were bullet proof vests, I don't know.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I don't think it's so much guns that are destroying the states, it's a number of factors that lead to more gun violence. Lack of proper health care, high poverty versus wealth ratios, etc.

But it is interesting that a comparison per capita of Canada and the United States can be found here...

http://www.guncontrol.ca/Content/Cda-US.htm

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Good points and yes guns makes it easier to kill, trying to kill a lot of people with a knife, sword a baseball bat is much harder. Guns make killing easy I don't think any one can argue with that. The problem is how and why do these people have access to guns.If guns were totally banned or there would be more control on guns I think people would still kill innocent people with guns or any thing else they can get their hands on (Just look at prisoners).Maybe it would be easier to just have every body were bullet proof vests, I don't know.

I'm not sure what the answer is - but I do know that nobody can really argue that access is an issue. There was a guy who shot through his door at what he thought was an intruder, but in reality was a father and his kids. One of the kids got shot and died. The guy said he'd been hassled before and didn't bother to look outside, he just took it for granted it was the same people bugging him. I don't think vests are the way to go - maybe there should be different laws for different gun crimes, I'm not sure. There are too many random shootings though and there has to be a better way to protect people who are doing nothing more than a bit of shopping..sammieswife.

----------------

Some facts of note:
    - In 100 percent of the shootings the suspect was male.
    - In over 71 percent of the incidents, the shooter was between the ages of 15-25, with 20 percent ages 50-60.
    - In 24 percent of the shootings, the shooter committed suicide before police were able to respond.
    - Active shooter situations are often over within 10 to 15 minutes.

From 2004 through 2008 there were 17 shooting incidents at U.S. shopping malls and retail stores, with 34 killed and 33 wounded, according to the NRF.

The stats are a little off - the numbers of dead are higher despite the NRF records. You just have to google a few papers and see what's going on. Just in the past year we had - Feb 2007 Salt Lake an 18 year old killed 5 in a mall; Dec 2007 there was a 19 year old in Omaha who killed 8 and injured 5, 2 of those critically; Jan 2008 in WA, a 16 year old shot and killed another 16 year old and wounded one in a mall; Feb 2008 in NY a 22 year old killed 19 in a mall; Feb 2008 in Illinois a shooter killed 5 in a mall and in November 2008 there were 2 incidents in WA that saw one person killed in each shooting and one injured..the shooters were late teens to early twenties. A few more..

A shooting occurred in a Knoxville, TN mall around 4:30 p.m. today. Two people were hit, at least one was killed. The Knoxville Police say one person has been taken into custody. The shooting occurred inside the Knoxville Center Mall, which was formerly -October 2008

-----------

The Associated Press has identified the suspect in a Washington State shooting spree as Isaac Zamora, age 28.

The spree left six dead and two wounded. A deputy from the Skagit County Sheriff's Dept. was among the dead. A Washington State trooper was injured during the police chase that ultimately led to Zamora's arrest.

A spokesperson for the Washington State Patrol said that Zamora had "a mental illness." The AP also indicated that Zamora was in Skagit County detention as recently as early August. - Sept 2008

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

To paraphrase a well-known slogan:

Guns don't destroy countries, people destroy countries.

The availability of guns certainly makes it easier for Americans to kill each other, but other countries (like Switzerland) manage to have a high rate of gun ownership and low rates of violent crime. Clearly something else is wrong with America.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit