WHY don't Americans realize GUNS are destroying their country?

by Witness 007 334 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    >>>>>In Britain for example, after the Dunblane massacre hand guns were outlawed. Carrying a hand gun now has an automatic 5 year sentence. The application of this sentence is something that needs to be looked at. As within the legislation, judges in exceptional circumstance can use their discretion. This therefore means, that many do not in fact go to prison and judges have been criticised for using this clause too much<<<<<

Then it's not automatic, is it?

Carrying or owning a hand gun is against the law. There is a clause in the so-called automatic sentence that judges have been criticised for overusing, therefore the sentencing procedures are being reviewed. If the judge does not want to use this clause, the sentence is 5 years.

Do you guys enjoy living in a police state just because it makes you feel safer? One might be inclined to wear a full pillow suit so if they trip and fall they wont be hurt. Better yet why not legislate padding on all sidewalks? The mere possession of an instrument that could possibly/potentially be used in a crime makes you a criminal? You are guilty of a crime before you commit it?

I cant understand the mind from which these ideas come.

I wouldn't agree with the statement that you are guilty of a crime before you commit it. The carrying of a hand gun in this country is a crime in itself, therefore you have already committed the crime by carrying the gun. Much like carrying an offensive weopon is a crime, for example carrying a knife with the intention of using it to harm, is a crime in itself. I guess this law is a development of carrying an offensive weopon, for what reason would someone need to carry a hand gun, unless it is used for a crime? Guns are not an integral part of our culture, there is only one reason why someone should carry a hand gun and that's to carry out a criminal act. Rifles and shotguns are not covered by this though, as they can be used in sport. That said there is a tight control over their use. The Dunblane massacre, where school children were shot precipitated this legislation. It may well have been a knee jerk response, but it does get guns off the street. Every now and then the police hold an amnesty where people can dispose of their guns, without fear of any repurcussions. A far more sensible approach in my view, rather than allowing people to carry guns. Paul

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
  • "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
  • I agree with Benjamin Franklin.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Guns don't kill people....bullets don't kill people.....5 year olds with guns and bullets kill people........teenagers with guns and bullets kill people..

In that case it would make more sense to ban 5 year olds and teenagers. Leave the guns alone.

W

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It seems to me that people that don't live in the US have a certain image of it that does not correspond to reality.

BTS

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

It seems to me that people that don't live in the US have a certain image of it that does not correspond to reality. ~BTS

I travel into the top 25 biggest cities on a pretty regular basis over the last few years. I know I am surrounded by folks in a lot of these places who are legally armed ... but I dont think I've ever detected a sloppy, printing handgun on anyone. If I look hard I can sometimes pick out who is packing.. but thats a matter of training and experience.

I have heard gunfire in the South Florida area... I worked the 'hood at night while with the power company. Took a round in my moving truck one night heading to an outage. My folks were robbed at gunpoint once... and Uncle killed by a serial killer and a 3rd cousin killed by a serial killer. Plus the folks and the neighbor took rounds (upscale housing near a rural road) into the structures of their homes once. I averted a mugging once just by showing a pistol butt to the crooks.

I think a lot of non Americans fail to note that much of the USA is pretty rural and police are rare (percentage wise) so many of us are OUR first line of defense. They dont know that many of us who carry or own weapons keep them locked away so they would not do us much good in a home invasion or something. The area I live in now... and travel for business is pretty desolate. If I ran into a road warrior out in these parts the police would be far far away. A lot of us carry enough stuff to make it over night if we get stuck. The gun is just part of that kit.

If you live in England... and have a BIG police presence I guess you would not need to be to coginizant of your own safety. Most CCW types in the US are into locks, dogs and lighting ... we dont want to shoot you unless you REALLY want to get shot.

Now that we have a President that can lead a segment of society by example maybe some of those kids will lock up their guns... get a job... flush the dope in the sewer and move on. I will be happy if the babies momma just knew who babies daddy was and babies daddy would pull up his pants. Yea...even the white kids like that too.

Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Police aren't legally bound to protect you either. I used to be anti-gun like most JWs, but the first piece of writing I produced when I was in college was on the gun issue and my research changed my mind. As for printing, I know people that walk arounf with a Desert Eagle under their armpit while wearing a sport coat, and you wouldn't guess it was there unless you knew ahead of time. Me? I usually appendix carry a .38 snubby or pocket a Kel-Tek .380 in hot weather if I am going somewhere like the beach. In the winter I sometimes pack the 1911 or a Sig P239 in .40, just because I like the firepower.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    or pocket a Kel-Tek .380

That is also my pocket CCW.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    That is also my pocket CCW.

Hopefully we will get open carry in Florida eventually, so we won't have to worry about the printing issue.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

We can open carry in MS, with a permit.

However, I choose to conceal, so as to avoid attracting attention.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    However, I choose to conceal, so as to avoid attracting attention.

It's nice to have the option, and also not have the paranaoia of printing either.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit