Disfellowshiped Last Night - Elder Question

by johnnyc 91 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    You think too much

My former PO told me the same thing. My cult sensor went crazy!

-LWT

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

isaacaustin: Not too many get overturned... the criteria is whther the person was actually repentant at the time of the ORIGINAL committee, so they don't care if he is repentant now...

If the appeal committee wants to overturn, the original committee needs to agree to this. If they don't then they need to send it to the Society for a final decision with the help of Holy Sprit (TM)...

Donny + LWT... Since I left while in college, many JWs told me the same thing... that I was thinking too much and that my college studies were dangerous to my spirituality, so they were happy that they decided to avoid college...

Johnny already has been to college, so he is capable of some independent thinking I am sure...

A@G

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

A@G

Question- Can a person appeal that they were repentant but the original committee missed it?

Also, if the appeal committee wants to overturn the dfing the original committee must agree? If they do not it goes to HQ? Does HQ usually go with the original ruling, since they do not hear the case as well?

If the appeal committee upholds the original decision is this final or can this be appealed?

Is ths original committee present at the appeal hearing?

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Yes, a person can appeal saying they were repentant in the original committee hearing - and the original committee is there for the appeal, the whole time. I did ask to speak with the appeal committee separately, which they allowed for a segment of the appeal. You can appeal an appeal committee's decision, but only to the Society - which is your last appeal before they will announce the DFing. They say you can write the Society even after that if there is new information for them to consider, but once they announce, it is virtually impossible to reverse it. In fact, it may be virtually impossible to reverse it from the original committee - but I think the appeal committee did find reason to reverse my situation - as stated to my father by the CO. Now I wait because the original committee is not yielding to the new decision. My understanding is that if there is a split decision, the Society always goes with mercy - unless it involves child molestation. -Johnny

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

johnnyc,

You can appeal an appeal committee's decision, but only to the Society - which is your last appeal before they will announce the DFing.

Would this involve another hearing? Or is this simply in writing?

Your appeal was heard and you think it will be overturned? Also, what role does the original committee play at your appeal? They are present but do they speak?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Johnnyc wrote: I did ask to speak with the appeal committee separately, which they allowed for a segment of the appeal.

So you've already had your appeal meeting?

If so, wow! They moved quickly on that. Hopefully Brooklyn will do the same.

-Aude.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

As you suspect, there is no meeting for the society appeal - just in writing - back and forth. Yes, I did get an indication through my father that the appeal committee decided to reverse the decision. It is unfortunate that it seems the original committee did not yield to the appeal committees decision - but that is a bit of a guess as to why it is taking so long for me to hear back. I just know the first part for sure. Perhaps there is something else that is weighing on their minds. Johnny

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

I guess I should clarify one thing. As many who have been involved with Judicial matters will know, even comments that might come from a CO to (ie my father who is an elder) are done without clarity. When my father tells me things he always says things like "the CO was "hinting" and "suggesting". Without being actually part of the 6 elders (and CO) who are involved, they don't really state things as "matter of fact". Imagine if the CO said matter of fact that the appeal committee has reversed the decision and the society comes back supporting the original committee - the CO might be in hot water for saying something like that to my father. So....again, when you are looking for clarity like I am, it seems like that is exactly what they want to avoid. This really is part of the major problem with the WTBTS and probably what turns so many people "off". Even if you wanted to believe Jesus and Paul spoke about DFing (not actually Jesus), it is hard to imagine they meant to create a complex system out of it like this. It is degrading on a persons moral and wrecks havoc on family life. Johnny

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Don't be sad. The way I see it they did you a favor.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JohnnyC,

Do you have an update for us on your appeal? How did it go?

-LWT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit