Do You Clearly Understand That "The Truth" Is Nothing But Bullcrap?

by minimus 128 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes lady, great link. Build houses for people not for cults.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

OK guys you win -I have had enough of this board

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    OK guys you win -I have had enough of this board

I hope you don't mean this. You're one of my favorite guys.

• choosing life
    choosing life

No, I am not trying to get into a contest about who suffers more, Dawg. I was just trying to point out that you can tell a person something, but you can't make them believe it. As it is, if I try to talk with family still in, they stop the conversation. I think they don't want to shun me any more than I want them to. I have a dfd child and I never shunned him even when I was still a jw.

I hope you're right and seeds planted will grow. I am sorry about your family situation. I think shunning is evil.

Stilla, I hope you stick around.

• shamus100
    shamus100
    I see persons suggesting that the Witness religion isn't all so wrong

They are still in the early stages, Minimus. They will figure it out sooner or later. I used to fear the end of the world for some time after becoming a dub...

BTW, it is 110% wrong.

Ta.

• dawg
    dawg

Thank you choosing... I knew you didn't mean it that way... I hope it all tuns out for all of us.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

....and the lynch mob strikes again...Congratulations guys. Nice job. Your JWD-elder cards are in the mail.

Stilla - I'm sorry. The majority of this was ridiculous, cruel, and judgmental.

• Vinny
    Vinny

"OK guys you win -I have had enough of this board"

**** A few people call your building Kingdom Halls into question and you decide to quit the JWD?

Here's a suggestion Stilla, why not QUIT BUILDING KINGDOM HALLS INSTEAD?

Have you thought of that? NO matter how you slice and dice it, you are still promoting the JW faith when you join in building new K Halls.

Plain and simple.

I have no probs with anybody that fades. I have no probs even if you go to some meetings.

But building new Kingdom Halls... when you obviously don't have to???

That will not work in my book. Sorry.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Georgiagirl,

You never replied to my comment. In fact you deleted your own comment that my reply was based on.

There is a huge difference between fading away (which is all cool and understandable by most) and instead building new Kingdom Halls as a volunteer.

If you disagree with this then please feel free to explain why.

• gloobster
    gloobster

I used to be a pretty hardcore drug addict. It's not something I'm proud of, but I think some interesting parallels can be drawn between it and what the topic in this thread has morphed into.

Having been a born-in, I was obviously screwed in the head from a young age, and when I was a teenager, after I left the JW's, I started clinging to whomever would accept my company. In general, drug addicts will consider anyone their friend (as long as they have drugs)--getting high by yourself gets kind of boring, and since many people don't do drugs, your choice of associations can be rather limited. So, bad associations, etc. You've all heard the story a million times. I let myself be led WAY astray. Because normal people didn't really seem to understand the whole JW thing, and I didn't understand normal people.

One thing that was great about being into drugs was all the friends you had, all the comraderie, even if it was kind of twisted. The fact that you could go just about anywhere and kind of know people before you met them--some things are universal, and the habits surrounding drug addiction is one of them. It helped me with my social skills. It taught me marketing skills. It taught me to stand up for myself. But, eventually, I reached a point in my life where I said to myself, "How the hell did I fall so far? I f**cked up my life!" I knew then I had to quit.

I said goodbye to all my addict friends, realizing no matter how much I enjoyed their company, how much I shared in common with them, hanging out with them was destroying me, and watching me destroy myself was destroying those that really loved me.

So I quit using, and although it was very hard at first, it's much better now. I no longer depend on a substances to make me happy; I've found other things to be interested in. I went back to the university, graduated even. I have a decent job now, and my friends, although fewer, aren't "friends". They are friends.

JW's are a lot like a drug addiction. It doesn't really feel that great to get high after you've been doing it for a long time, but the prospect of stopping and facing what you've done to yourself becomes much worse in your mind than to continue. "The Truth" is just as much bullcrap as drugs are, if not more, so if you are thinking of judging me for having been a drug addict, don't.

Would anyone say that a drug addiction is not "wrong" and destructive? To stop smoking, cigarettes or drugs, is good. So is to stop JW'ing.

I guess the biggest difference between JW's and drugs is that when you stop doing drugs, your family is much more likely to accept you than shun you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit