ABC's report on child abuse

by Joyzabel 91 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cappytan
    cappytan

I don't understand how protecting children from abusers doesn't, by extension, protect their spirituality as well.

That excuse is a cop out.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I don't understand how protecting children from abusers doesn't, by extension, protect their spirituality as well.

Especially considering that Candice's spirituality seems to have been damaged in their view since she left the cult.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This all relates to the aggressive advocation of protecting the image of the organization first and foremost. Its indoctrinated into JWS (people) the moment they get baptized.

If the WTS leaders or its lawyers can find bible scriptures to appeal to that agenda, then they will proceed toward the direction, placing a lesser importance to single individuals themselves.

Unfortunately religion places an pretentious wholesome image over people (Clergy, Elders) whomever is involved at Churches and Kingdom Halls, offering a social environment for sexual predators to take advantage of that environment .

• sir82
    sir82

JW Talk appears to be pretty somber on this:

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/19847-abc-news-nightline-report-3122015/

Not nearly so much blaming the victim as I would have expected, although, of course, there is absolutely 0 sympathy expressed for her, either.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

@toesup- nailed for me. you cannot have it both ways:

Overall, i was glad candice came off so well spoken and so....."normal". no wild eyed apostate ramblings, just a woman who had been taken advantage of as a child taking a stand now. well done.

i wish there had been some oportunity for the ex jw community to contribute a touch to the reporting side. some of the term they used, like refering to the branch as "watchtower" out of context, will make current jw's quesrion the validity and depth of reporting. it also would have been nice to get them to quote more of the letter to the BO the quote they used was a bit out of context in their use although it was accurate overall. they also refered to twenty cases as "the floodgates opening" which seems a bit sensationalized. i hate to see the point lost by uneeded use of dramatics when candice herself was so well spoken and handled things so nicely. i credit them on the whole with taking this on and im glad the piece aired

• freddo
    freddo
    Very good.
  • violias
  • Simon
    Simon
    i wish there had been some oportunity for the ex jw community to contribute a touch to the reporting side. some of the term they used, like refering to the branch as "watchtower" out of context, will make current jw's quesrion the validity and depth of reporting.

This would be a mistake. The message would be lost because it would be confusing with all the specific terms that are only of meaning to JWs or exJWs.

For Joe Public it's perfectly correct to refer to "watchtower". Anything to do with the JWs from the congregations to the GB is The Watchtower. Trying to differentiate all the different layers and nuances would be pointless.

JWs who dismiss it will dismiss it whatever the language - we shouldn't make the mistake of treating their dismissal as valid criticisms in any way. If any JW does just ask them "tell me again how the people who cover over child abuse represent god?"

For the WTS who make themselves out to be squeaky clean representatives of god it IS the floodgates opening. They have previously silenced people with intimidation and out of court settlements but it looks like that is changing. As we saw with the Catholic Church and Bill Cosby - as more cases get publicity then more people are willing to come forward with their own claims.

• violias
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I wonder how the folks in their Congregation view the wife, I wonder if they all knew that besides Candice, he also abused his wife's granddaughter . . . What a sick bunch of folks. I wonder if the wife is all loving and friendly at the meetings and then when she gets home she turns into the character we saw on the broadcast night

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit