One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Every time you speak you make the hole you are digging yourself into, a little bigger.

Perhaps you should think a little more about the logic of what you are saying before you post. Unless, of course, that is something that religious people are not equipped to do.

Trevor

Snowbird

I realize now I should have taken you seriously when you made the following statement early on in this thread.

Logic only takes me so far; faith does the rest

I had faith that you would correct the oversight.

Sylvia

• trevor
    trevor

Snowbird you are fun.

Have a great weekend

• snowbird
    snowbird

A little something from The Message Bible:

1 Corinthians 3:18 -20 Don't fool yourself. Don't think that you can be wise merely by being up-to-date with the times. Be God's fool—that's the path to true wisdom. What the world calls smart, God calls stupid. It's written in Scripture,

He exposes the chicanery of the chic. ( A quotation from Job 5:13) The Master sees through the smoke screens
    of the know-it-alls.

Sylvia

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Sylvia,

The Bible says that "faith believes all things" and, similarly, that "with God all things are possible". Does that sound reasonable to you? Can you not accept that some things truly are unbelievable and simply not possible?

Can 1+1 ever equal 3?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia,

The Bible says that "faith believes all things" and, similarly, that "with God all things are possible". Does that sound reasonable to you? Can you not accept that some things truly are un believable and simply not possible?

Can 1+1 ever equal 3?

It is love that believes all things. Here is the biblical definition of faith. From The Message Bible:

Hebrews 11:1 -2 The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see.

Of course I can accept that some things are unbelievable and impossible - and that 1 + 1 can never equal 3. I have faith in the God of the Bible, not in tomfoolery.

Sylvia

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Of course I can accept that some things are unbelievable and impossible - and that 1 + 1 can never equal 3

Then how do you explain Jesus 'miracle' of the loaves and the fishes? The sum of the parts (fragments) totalled more than the original whole. You said; "some things are unbelievable and impossible".

Do you stand by your sensible comment?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe the Bible's statement that Jesus is the Creator.

As such, He can multiply, divide, add, and subtract His creation in any way He sees fit.

Neither I nor you can "explain' this; I simply accept it on faith that it was a miracle.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird you are fun.

Have a great weekend

Thank you. It's Memorial Day weekend - no work on Monday.

Sylvia

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"I believe". There is no reasoning with such an impotent sentiment.

• startingover
    startingover

Sometimes I wish I could just ignore this type of thread, but I seem attracted to it like a moth to a light. I try to understand, I really do, but when I hear talk about being "indwelt with the Holy Spirit" or see the word "Holy Ghost" used I just sit here shaking my head in disbelief. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could leave the JWs and stay involved with anything like that.

What is really telling to me though is that any mention of having this belief in Jesus only because you were raised in a christian nation is ignored.

I for one really see great value in threads like this. From my early memories the bible has never made any sense to me. For those like me who have been raised in a christian nation and have experienced twinges of guilt for honestly feeling the way I did, threads like this are really helpful in ridding yourself of that guilt. There are some. like myself, who need to live with reason and who see faith as a delusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit