One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Hmm... I don't mean to discuss your beliefs, but I'm a bit puzzled at your choosing the fact that all people die (as do "animals," btw) as even one reason to believe that the Bible is anything special.

My point is that, given the ingenuity of man and the unpleasantness of dying, if the death sentence wasn't an edict from One capable of enforcing it, someone would have found a way to avoid that sentence. Not that none have tried.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Haters coming out of the woodwork....

• TD
    TD

My point is that, given the ingenuity of man and the unpleasantness of dying, if the death sentence wasn't an edict from One capable of enforcing it, someone would have found a way to avoid that sentence. Not that none have tried

But Sylvia, Doesn't that constitute a prior assumption of that which is in question? (i.e. Death as the result of a Divine, "death sentence" requires an a priori knowledge of God's existence )

Edited to add: --Else there would be no basis for rejecting alternative explanations for Man's inability to overcome death.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    But Sylvia, Doesn't that constitute a prior assumption of that which is in question? (i.e. Death as the result of a Divine, "death sentence" requires an a priori knowledge of God's existence.)

Not for me, it doesn't.

I've never questioned God's existence.

Logic only takes me so far; faith does the rest.

Sylvia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Snowbird,

How does the death of dinosaurs (prior to the so-called "sentence on man") fit in your view of death?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird,

How does the death of dinosaurs (prior to the so-called "sentence on man") fit in your view of death?

It is humankind's death to which I was referring.

Imo, unless you accept the Bible's explanation of our death and dying, nothing about it makes sense.

Langston Hughes summed it up quite nicely when he wrote that at his wake, he wanted everyone to wear red, because there was no point in his being dead!

Sylvia

• TD
    TD
    It is humankind's death to which I was referring.

Still trying to understand...

Do you think we grow old and die for different physical reasons than the animals? (i.e. Cumulative telomere shortening limits the number of times a cell can divide --Eventually the body can no longer repair itself)

• Sirona
    Sirona

Sylvia,

What I don't understand about the death thing is:

There are other religious writings which have very solid theories regarding the necessity and surety of death. Does this mean they are also inspired?

Sirona

• trevor
    trevor

Snowbird asks:

Please enumerate any God-approved injustices found in the Bible. Thank you.

If you really haven't found any in your Bible then I suggest you stop wasting your time on this thread and go and read your Bible again. By the way - it helps to have your eyes open!

Trevor

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Or:

I understand that the emergence of human consciousness almost instantly made natural death a (pre-religious and/or pre-philosophical) problem -- calling for all kinds of cultural "explanations" (the Bible offers but a comparatively small and late sample of those).

I don't understand how it could have physically made it "unnatural".

Btw, ironically, this is precisely the point of Genesis 2--3: you get the knowledge, but you don't get immortality -- just half of the "divine food". Which actually makes your situation worse: sometimes you wish you didn't get the knowledge in the first place, but it is irreversible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit