One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

While this may be construed as a rebuttal to Nvr's thread re: Why I Post About Atheism, that is not my intent.

It is my intent, however, to show how I developed a belief in and love for the God of the Bible.

My paternal grandfather, who died before I was born, was a Baptist preacher, so you could say I cut my teeth on the Bible. I loved having it read to me, and once I learned how, reading it for myself. I'm convinced that spirituality runs deep in my blood.

I've always had such a strong sense of right and wrong that injustices make me literally sick. So deep were my convictions and so earnest my endeavors to walk the straight and narrow path, that I was given the dubious nickname of "The Saint."

At the age of 10, I was baptized in the little country church that served our community, but I soon grew disillusioned with the gross immorailty and hypocrisy that I began to witness. I knew such conduct was totally out of line with Bible teachings. I began a search for those who really loved the Bible and were willing to practice what they preached.

At the age of 17, I met the JW's and threw myself wholeheartedly into the Witness way of life. I believed with everything in me that this was the best way of living. Soon, I was plagued with doubts because I began to observe the same kind of conduct in the Witnesses that I'd seen in the churches. Did my faith in the Bible waver? Not even a fraction.

I believe the Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us. Do I believe it is infallible? No more so than the men who wrote and compiled it.

Why does a God of love allow suffering? Suffering and dying are part and parcel of the condemnation visited upon the first parents and passed on to us. According to Hebrews 9:27, we're all going to die once due to this condemnation. This dying process is horrendous for some and relatively painless for others, but the end result is the same - we all return to the dust from which we were taken.

Now, think about this. If the God of the Bible was as impotent as some make Him out to be, wouldn't some manage to escape this destiny? The consensus is that money talks, but the richest of the rich die just the same as the poorest of the poor.

There are no commuting of sentences, no payoffs, no unlawful flights to avoid prosecution or any such shenanigans in this case. God has remained true to His Word throughout the millenia since He first pronounced the Death Sentence on the human race.

Now, you may love Him or you may hate Him, but you will have to admit that He shows no favoritism in this regard. Since the basic meaning of worship is to count someone worthy, the God of the Bible has my full vote and confidence.

Thank you for reading.

Sylvia

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

He kind of does like to murder a lot of people though doesn't he? I cannot say that the God of the bible does not exist but even if it was proved he did I would not give him worship, don't think I could worship a being who I have a higher set of morals than

• snowbird
    snowbird

It's not a comfortable position (that of not knowing what to believe), but at least I am making my own road and journey to discovery.

Thanks for your post!

A@G

May you have peace on your journey.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    He kind of does like to murder a lot of people though doesn't he?

Some call it murder; God calls it clearing away what is bad.

Sylvia

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

If you kill a lot of innocent people it is murder. If you believe for example the flood actually happened and God caused said flood that means he killed a hell of a lot of innocent children and babies. You can play around with justifications all day long but if a human did that he/she would be demonised kind of like Hitler and Stalin were. The God of the bible has all the characteristics of the war mongering people of the time strangely enough......... coincidence?

• *summer*
    *summer*

Re: Flood.

People were warned and had over 40+ years to repent.

I daresay God was patient enough. I am not even that patient with my own children:-)

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You can play around with justifications all day long but if a human did that he/she would be demonised kind of like Hitler and Stalin were.

If a human did that ... That's the key. God is much more than human.

Sylvia

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Re: Flood.

People were warned and had over 40+ years to repent.

I daresay God was patient enough. I am not even that patient with my own children:-)

I'm sorry but JWs will use the same reasoning. They've been preaching the end for over a hundred years.. Do we believe in them? Is that a reason for God to kill us? Jesus said that the only thing many flood victims were doing wrong was eating (I do that) drinking (that too), marrying (yes I'm guilty) and being given in marriage (yep, I guess I was given, my wife didn't pay for me). And we take no note of the JWs end time predictions...

So summer, I guess we're all doomed.

A@G

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

So God can do things we would find reprehensible and get away it BECAUSE he is God? Nah sorry I cannot go for that. With regards to the flood comment maybe He did warn the for 40 years (although how Noah quite managed that while building an ark the size of a small town is quite beyond me) so the babies and young children were warned were they? How about the Egyptian firstborns? Were they warned? Or how about 1 Sam 15:3 where God intructs that they "Destroy them and their possessions, kil their men, women, children and even their babies" You have to admit God does seem to enjoy a good slaughter

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    Now, think about this. If the God of the Bible was as impotent as some make Him out to be, wouldn't some manage to escape this destiny? The consensus is that money talks, but the richest of the rich die just the same as the poorest of the poor.

There are no commuting of sentences, no payoffs, no unlawful flights to avoid prosecution or any such shenanigans in this case. God has remained true to His Word throughout the millenia since He first pronounced the Death Sentence on the human race.

Are you suggesting that the fact that we all die, and that the God of the bible said this would happen, is a reason for faith in the said book and God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit