One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

If snowbird, or anyone else, for that matter, gain comfort, stability, hope, etc. from having faith in God, so be it. It's obvious that people who believe in God feel that their lives are enriched as a result. Where's the harm there?

I, personally, do not believe in the Christian God or ANY God. My beliefs enrich & enhance MY life. I beleive it to be immoral to belittle or persecute someone for what they percieve as the truth or how they choose to think.

On that same token, I take great offense when people assume to call me immoral or wrong just because I don't believe the same way they do. That behavior, right there, is what turned me off from religion in the first place. Most (please note that I typed "most".) religious folks seem to feel that it's their obligation & duty to make everyone around them think as they do. How many people have been murdered over the centuries due to differences in religious thinking?

In short, don't tell me that I have to believe in God, & I won't tell you that you are flawed because you do. Everybody mind their own goddamned business & the world will be a much better place.

• Sirona
    Sirona

So you don't think that any other god has been said to create the heavens and earth?

• snowbird
    snowbird

So you don't think that any other god has been said to create the heavens and earth?

I know of no other god that has been able to say this. From The Message Bible:

Job 38:1 And now, finally, God answered Job from the eye of a violent storm. He said:

2 -11 "Why do you confuse the issue?
    Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about? Pull yourself together, Job!
    Up on your feet! Stand tall! I have some questions for you,
    and I want some straight answers. Where were you when I created the earth?
    Tell me, since you know so much! Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that!
    Who came up with the blueprints and measurements? How was its foundation poured,
    and who set the cornerstone, While the morning stars sang in chorus
    and all the angels shouted praise? And who took charge of the ocean
    when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds,
    and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it,
    a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose, And said, 'Stay here, this is your place.
    Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'

Sylvia

• TD
    TD

Hi Sylvia,

The last thing I would want to do is wreck your faith in God. Personally, I would be thrilled to death to find actual confirmation of, "The great All-Father who cares for us here below" in the words of James Russell Lowell.

I'm just trying to understand through (what I hope are) polite questions.

You said:

WE ALL DIE. I see no circular reasoning, a priori, confirmation bias, or anything else in that statement.

You're right. That's just a simple statement of fact. We do all die.

But why do we die? Do we die because....

"God has remained true to His Word throughout the millenia since He first pronounced the Death Sentence on the human race"

Using the fact that we die as confirmation of God's existence presupposes that God did in fact pronounce a death sentence upon the human race, which in turn presupposes God's existence because God would first have to exist before he could in fact, pronounce a death sentence upon the human race.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Job 38

Brace yourself like a man;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me.

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
    Tell me, if you understand.

Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!

I was always disturbed by the fact that after God "allowed" Satan to kill all of Job's ten children, destroy his livelihood, and give him a horrible disease, that He would mercilessly grill Job about things which he could not possibly know.Instead of words of comfort, there is a long discourse about God's abilities and that men really don't know much so they should just keep their trap shut ! And the thing is, it was God who brought Satan's attention to Job to begin with ! Job was a pawn...and then he gets chewed out for being upset about what happened to him.It all seems exceedingly shameful to me.

• inkling
    inkling

I know of no other god that has been able to say this.

Sirona, when the other gods can state in unequivocal terms, as the God of the Bible has, that they're the source of all creation, then I will address your question.

Sorry to butt in here, but I'm a little confused...

Your god has not actually "stated" anything. The Bible has.

Since (at least recently) god's tend to not speak for themselves, NO god actually claims in person to
    have made the earth. What DOES happen is that books are written ABOUT that god, and what he does
    with his spare time and how exactly he got around to making the earth and us. This is either in the form of
    oral myths, or written "holy" books.

Here is a link to a list of 80 gods who have "claimed", (have been given the credit), of creating
    stuff, including the universe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Creator_gods

With all due respect, what makes the "claim" of your god different?

[inkling]

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I know of no other god that has been able to say this

I dont know of any 'god' who has 'said' this period.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

I am God !

Why ?

Because I said so !

You said so ?

Well, okay, I didn't actually say so....umm...I mean..a guy who wrote a book said that I said so.

So what you're really saying is...the guy who wrote the book has no evidence and can say whatever he wants but we're supposed to take his word for it , is that right ?

Yeah...that's pretty much it.

So the human that wrote the book is essentially God ?

Well, yeah, that's pretty much it.

Okie dokie

• 10p
    10p
    One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

Probably the biggest reason is you happened to be raised in the western world. If you were born and raised in Hindustan (India), you would see the bible as you probably now see the Bhagavad Gita.

Your thread would be entitled "One Reason I Worship Krishna of The Gita"

It is a fact that this newsgroup is heavily westernised. There is a distint lack of threads about ex-witnesses who are now Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs etc.

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

How was its foundation poured,
    and who set the cornerstone, While the morning stars sang in chorus
    and all the angels shouted praise? And who took charge of the ocean
    when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds,
    and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it,
    a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose, And said, 'Stay here, this is your place.
    Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'

So, we have god building the earth by pouring cement, which there were no liquid construction methods know at the time of this writing, that's why the Egyptians didn't use it. No such thing. Stars that sing? water coming from a woman> Building a playpen for a fitful child made of water? Yeah that sounds real allright!

Actually it sounds like this: And Verdana said to Murdu, "Murdu, who are you to judge me, I who made you and the stars? You are my child, as the sea also my offspring. You and the child are boisterous in your cries. Yet I formed you from pottery, and nver have you hungered or been sick. i knew you when your mother was fat with you. And now you shame me by your boldness and lack of confidnece in me" - Hindu text that parallels the story of Job, possibly before Job was written. I'll have to get the date for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit