One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Then there are those, like myself, who see no reason why faith and reason can't exist side by side.

Sylvia

• Terry
    Terry

When Faith is unreasonable, it wastes our time which could be better spent on something practical.

When Faith is unreasonable, it requires rituals, tokens, blandishments,tributes and professions of loyalty (inevitably) to some person(s) who have their hand out asking you for your time/money/fealty.

When Faith is unreasonable it points to a source declared to be solidly true, yet, is by all indications merely the opinion of this person in controversion to that person.

The Bible is all things to all people. It logically follows that if all people have differing statements of what the Bible says/means/requires---it cannot contain defensible fact.

Worship is man's natural response to overwhelming transcendance. In reality, men who worship God are actually responding to hearsay as though it were actual evidence.

Confusing hearsay and reputation with actual experience is not a demonstration of faith so much as it is a disconnect with reality leading to chaotic thinking and actions.

Nice people are attracted to nice ideas. God is a nice idea. The reputation of God as a loving, caring personality is more a case of ASSOCATION of nice people (attracted to an idea) creating a nice atmosphere of worshipful ambient fealty.

This tail wags the dog.

Consider....

Name one bit of fact contained in the Bible which demonstrates that a Supreme Mind was behind it. Just one!

Did the bible suggest people should wash their hands before they ate to avoid germ contamination? No. Why? Science had not arrived to demonstrate the presence of microscopic organisms. Think of the incalculable number of lives that would have been saved had God vouchsafed this bit of information!

Did the bible give the Hebrews a better calendar, number system, or world view than the surrounding pagan nations? Emphatically, NO!

The Hebrew idea of the value of Pi was simply 3. Even the Egyptians were more accurate. The Egyptians had the most accurate calendar in the Old World which Julius Caesar took back to Rome.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating of it. The Bible did not bestow an advantage on the Jews. It was the knowledge they gained from their forbidden neighbors which informed them most/best.

Pretty strange, considering they had the only REVEALED truth from Jehovah!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Then there are those, like myself, who see no reason why faith and reason can't exist side by side.

I just showed you a reason and you ignored it, I don't say this to be mean Sylvia but you are being dishonest to yourself.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I know I am jumping into this fire from the frying pan on page 7. I only read page 1 and page 7
    so you may have thoroughly discussed this to death, but I will make my thoughts anyway.

Suffering and dying are part and parcel of the condemnation visited upon the first parents and passed on to us. According to Hebrews 9:27, we're all going to die once due to this condemnation. This dying process is horrendous for some and relatively painless for others, but the end result is the same - we all return to the dust from which we were taken.

Now, think about this. If the God of the Bible was as impotent as some make Him out to be, wouldn't some manage to escape this destiny? The consensus is that money talks, but the richest of the rich die just the same as the poorest of the poor.

There are no commuting of sentences, no payoffs, no unlawful flights to avoid prosecution or any such shenanigans in this case. God has remained true to His Word throughout the millenia since He first pronounced the Death Sentence on the human race.

You worship the God of the Bible because the Bible gives a possible explanation for why everybody
    dies, and since it was written everybody continues to die. That's a short version of what you are
    saying.

Couldn't the writers have simply worked their way backward? Not just the writer(s) of Hebrews, but
    the writer(s) of Genesis and other books of the Bible. Like any other serious belief system, they say
    that the end result is death (and some say what happens after death, but that would be another
    subject). Then they say, "How did we arrive at death?" They kick that around and develop a belief
    and record it.

Let's suppose I state now, "We die because our energy is given to us when we are born. The Great
    Spirit gives the same amount to everyone, but what we do with our lives takes away much of that
    energy. When sickness or accidents befall someone, even babies, it is due to a grave sin by their
    ancestors that demanded more energy than their ancestor could give. The debt was passed forward
    to be collected whenever the Great Spirit wanted another spirit from the earth to join him."

Now that I have stated it, I will put it in a belief system by publishing a book and starting a religion.
    (Don't scoff at this. L. Ron Hubbard managed to do it. So did others.) Maybe decades or centuries
    or even millenia from now, someone is going to read that book and say, "Well, people who die of
    old age tend to live to be between 75 and 100, sometimes longer. People do run out of energy when
    they get older. There are often unexplained reasons for young ones dying, and there are terrible
    tragedies that the victim doesn't deserve. I guess the religion of OTWO is right."

By publishing time, I will have worked out why people are decimated by natural disasters, also. So
    don't throw that in as a problem with my theory. After I write the book, I will have my team of priests
    go over it to add thoughts and objections. Eventually, my redactor will re-write it all and smooth out
    any inconsistencies.

You can worship the God of the Bible, but don't think that the Bible explains death just because
    everybody dies.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I started this thread with the presupposition that everyone would know from its contents that I accept the Bible's explanation of the origin of life and death.

I've read other ancient works on this subject, and I see in none of them the coherent reasonableness that can be found in the Bible.

That is my view.

I'm not attacking anyone else's stance on this subject unless stating one's opinion can be regarded as an attack. If that is the case, then so be it.

I hope everyone will have a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Sylvia

• Perry
    Perry

Have a great weekend yourself Snowbird!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I try to understand, I really do,

It shouldnt be so hard to understand. There was a time when most of us believed in something that was unfounded. If you want to understand, search your past.

• Perry
    Perry

Hi IP Sec, ....... What an incredibly ignorant and thoughtless remark.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hi perry, you dont think it should not be hard to understand how one could be a believer if almost all of us were believers at one time? How is that ignorant?

• bisous
    bisous

After what MOST on this forum have experienced at the hands of this so called "god's" believers and supporters of the bible ... supposed documentation of the horrors wrought upon this so called "god's" same creation ...

well, defense of said so called "god" and the teachings of "his" purported message to mankind, the bible, are somewhat sickening. Perhaps even more than somewhat. Sickening, disrespectful and insulting, to boot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit