One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Are you suggesting that the fact that we all die, and that the God of the bible said this would happen, is a reason for faith in the said book and God?

I am stating that this is one of my reasons for such.

Sylvia

• *summer*
    *summer*

A@G...

You are correct. But putting JWs aside, when I read the Bible I believe that there is some sort of end coming. I don't see it in a scary or depressing way. Only in a way that God will have to do something in order for this planet to survive. And I see the flood story has a good example.

It has nothing to do with JWs. I simply believe that God knows the heart of each and everyone of us. Will I be a survivor? I have no idea:-) But until then, I try to live a good life. I believe in the same God that snowbird believes in. And it brings me much comfort.

My views may change with time. I don't know. But for now, those are the belief I carry on my journey:-)

Btw...I was just dropped by my study conductor yesterday. Perhaps it was my lucky day. And life goes on:-)

• journey-on
    journey-on

Snowbird, you opened a can of worms. Be prepared to dig your heels in because "here they come."

I have vascillated a bit about the bible recently. I began reading it cover to cover not long ago, and

I am almost through. I'm reading the KJV instead of the NWT, and it's a bit too archaic at times, so

I'm taking it slow.

I have come to think the bible has a literal presentation, an allegorical presentation, and a deeper

mysterious presentation. Depending on what level of spiritual development you are at, you will recognize

which presentation is speaking to you. It, indeed, is a fascinating book....no wonder some call it the "living word".

For some, God is the "big man in the sky that kicks butt and takes names"; for others, He represents our archetypal

consciousness with all its myriads of sub-consciousnesses; then for others He is the essence of All That Is and flows

through all, in all, and around all. But the Bible speaks to all three in the language you have developed over time.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Btw...I was just dropped by my study conductor yesterday. Perhaps it was my lucky day. And life goes on:-)

It wasn't really a Bible study, anyway. Only WT indoctrination. The Bible has an entirely different message.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm taking it slow.

I have come to think the bible has a literal presentation, an allegorical presentation, and a deeper

mysterious presentation.

J-O, I'm leaning strongly toward the literal and mysterious. All in all, it's a fascinating journey. Thanks for your input.

Sylvia

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My problem has become, not the existence/non-existence of God as a being. But, the basis for such belief is typically an acceptance of a Holy Writ, one that can be shown to be contradictory, myth and legend driven, and unable to provide on the basis of the above, any foundational building blocks for assuming that a Perfect Spirit had anything to do with it. While any document can be of import, and can assist us in understanding history to some extent, the Bible has proven from the first chapters to be faulty in it's explanations.

Please do not construe these statements as attack against either position. Just where my journey currently has me stranded.

Just my 2 cents. From one who not very long in the past would have slapped himself for making such statements.

Anyone care to meditate?

Jeff

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

So, you love a god who is: racist, genocidal, killer of infants, angry all the time, prone to temper tantrums (like when he swept all the pieces off the table because he was losing the bet he made with Satan. I'm referring to the flood, Sodom and Gomorra, Job and a few other stories, myths and legends.)
    Continuing: making rape victims marry their rapist, having children stoned to death by their own parents for being rebellious (when he designed teenagers specifically to be rebellious, which is a natural stage of development), has a weird sense of justice and forgiveness in that he must slaughter someone (his son or some beast) before he can forgive, came not to bring peace, but the sword, tortures people for all eternity for sins they make in one lifetime, invented disease, invented war and repeatedly reccommends that his people wage it even though he could easily solve problems peacefully (him being all powerful and such). Anyone else want to pick up this list where I left off?
    Conclusion: anybody who loves the god of the Bible is a very sick and disgusting person, not to mention: delusional, ignorant, immoral, dangerous, confused, clueless, senseless, twisted and insane. Let me see, could I state that in even harsher terms? I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, and "capable of believing just about anything," or naive.

• *summer*
    *summer*

AK...

Personally, I do not see your views as an "attack" On the contrary, I find it SO interesting to read all those different beliefs and perspectives.

snowbird...

Bible put aside, the saddest part right now is that my study conductor and i were very close. And yesterday was very emotional, and teary, for the both of us:-(

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Personally, I do not see your views as an "attack" On the contrary, I find it SO interesting to read all those different beliefs and perspectives.

snowbird...

Bible put aside, the saddest part right now is that my study conductor and i were very close. And yesterday was very emotional, and teary, for the both of us:-(

I feel the same about AK - Jeff's post.

I feel your sorrow, Summer, but the WT's teachings are very deceptive.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Conclusion: anybody who loves the god of the Bible is a very sick and disgusting person, not to mention: delusional, ignorant, immoral, dangerous, confused, clueless, senseless, twisted and insane. Let me see, could I state that in even harsher terms? I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, and "capable of believing just about anything," or naive.

Feel better now?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit