One Reason Why I Worship the God of the Bible

by snowbird 193 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

Others on this thread have adequately pointed out that other gods also claim they have created, in other religious texts. Therefore the god of the bible can't be said to be "the one" just because he claims it.

Of course, its a choice of yours to believe the bible and use it as a basis for your faith and that is of course OK. The problem arises when you make claims which don't hold water.

Sirona

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Snowbird, you opened a can of worms. Be prepared to dig your heels in because "here they come."

Indeed, come they did; the bitter, the cynical, the doubting, the questing, and the true-blue believers.

May God have mercy on us all!

Sylvia

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Hi Snowbird,

Interesting thread.

A little timid to join in your discussion however, as claiming Faith in God and Jesus here is asking for arrows. But alas, if I had kept that timidness they would not have kicked me out of the Watchtower.

You stated in your post the Bible is a Revelation on God. I would like to modifiy it a bit, as it is beginning to end, not about God's sovernity, but a Revelation of Jesus.

I think it is interesting to step back and take a look around sometimes. We see creation, fellow humans, animals, season, stars, luminaries. Does what we think, believe, trust in even matter? We are a speck, we are dust in relation to all things. How funny huh. We argue so venhemently with each other about God, being conclusive in our own minds of our rightness, yet who are we?

Well, if you believe in God, we are a diamond. Why? Because we acknowledge him, we believe in his son and look to follow him, his way. He looks upon the creative works of his hands and through our belief in his Son we can have a relationship with the most powerful entity ever. Wow, what an opportunity.

Let's say we don't believe. There is no God, life is by science defintions. The Bible is just a book. We live our lives by that belief and seem settled to do so. And some seem to find happiness in that perspective as maybe gives them peace to the bigger questions that plague their minds.

Now please see, I am stating this from the persepective of a believer. God is there whether we acknowlege him or not. We search for him, he can be found. We don't and don't want too, and he will not be found, because we are not looking. Whether we look or do not, or believe or do not does not change facts of his existance.

Personally, I choose to be one who searches, and I have chosen to search for him through the one who he presented to me as the way to find him, Jesus. He does not force us too, but if we wish he provides a way.

May he bless all on their Journey, for the sun rises upon us all, and the rain gives us food, the flowers joy, and the animals, facination. For the believer in God, we give him all praise and say thank you, for those who don't I guess it is a matter of being glad to have what we need today.

love

CL

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you for those warm words, CandleLight.

You stated in your post the Bible is a Revelation on God. I would like to modifiy it a bit, as it is beginning to end, not about God's sovernity, but a Revelation of Jesus.

I agree with your statement above because, especially according to the Gospel of John, Jesus is God.

Peace and love to you.

Sylvia

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

The bible is the word of god

How do we know it?

The bible says it is the word of God

How can we believe that?

Because God is telling us it

But...........how......................?? Screw it we are going round in circles

This is called circular reasoning

• Perry
    Perry

Thanks for sharing your faith Snowbird. When I finally got serious about joining the Witnesses, it was so that I could make friends with God. After I found out that the Watchtower was false, I still kept that desire. A lot of people rationalize a Christians' faith in a philosophical way. But, the bible really states that the relationship between God and believer is a surety...... not just hope or comfort......His spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we ARE the children of God. I was just wondering whether or not you have experienced that kind of confirmation in your spirit? ................. Thanks again for your post.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

History has shown us that the belief in gods or a god were mainly structured and developed on the basis of human ignorance or the lack of knowledge of the world we live in.

The adverse fear that developed after an earthquake or a bolt of lighting as an example, men of ancient times did not have the knowledge of what had cause it, so

human imagination took over and the belief in god was born. This happened all over the planet not just in the middle east, the sun being the most popular target as being the god

The folly of the human imagination manifests itself in organized religion.

If gods developed out of human ignorance does it not make sense then to put them in a jar a put a lid on it, for the sake of humanity.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    Indeed, come they did; the bitter, the cynical, the doubting, the questing, and the true-blue believers.

Hi snowbird. I'm curious - which of those names do you judge me as? (Obviously not the last one...)

• snowbird
    snowbird
    His spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we ARE the children of God. I was just wondering whether or not you have experienced that kind of confirmation in your spirit? ................. Thanks again for your post.

Hi, Perry.

First off, I want you to know that I enjoy your posts as well.

Now to answer your question - yes, I have received such a confirmation. When I was with the JW's and would read the Gospel of John, Romans, Galatians, and Philippians, I would feel such a stirring in my spirit that I thought I was going crazy. I told no one about these experiences for fear of being labeled a pseudo-anointed.

I struggled with this for the 34 years of my involvement with the JW's, but guess Who won?

Thank you for your interest.

Sylvia

• trevor
    trevor

So, you love a god who is: racist, genocidal, killer of infants, angry all the time, prone to temper tantrums (like when he swept all the pieces off the table because he was losing the bet he made with Satan. I'm referring to the flood, Sodom and Gomorra, Job and a few other stories, myths and legends.)
    Continuing: making rape victims marry their rapist, having children stoned to death by their own parents for being rebellious (when he designed teenagers specifically to be rebellious, which is a natural stage of development), has a weird sense of justice and forgiveness in that he must slaughter someone (his son or some beast) before he can forgive, came not to bring peace, but the sword, tortures people for all eternity for sins they make in one lifetime, invented disease, invented war and repeatedly recommends that his people wage it even though he could easily solve problems peacefully (him being all powerful and such). Anyone else want to pick up this list where I left off?

Snowbird.

Earlier in the thread you made a request when you said ‘Please enumerate any God-approved injustices found in the Bible. Thank you.’

Perhaps you should go back to page one and remind yourself that 83501nwahs took the trouble to provide you with the information, posted above, that you missed when you were reading your Bible.

Trevor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit