"Why does America always bomb other countries?", my son asked tonight.

by digderidoo 230 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    OK IP_ FOR PREZ, He seems smarter then you do Beksbks. You guys can fight it out with your over developed brains.

I dont know if Im smarter, but Im positive that Im lazier. I hereby nominate beks for prez. I happily settle for VP. Better yet, First Old Man.

• joebin
    joebin

digderidoo

I consider my non vote to be a vote. Which clown do you want me to vote for anyway. All three candidates left running are known members of the Council on Foreign Relations, which says a lot.

Sir, which one would you prefer? The red, four door sedan or the red, four door sedan?

Gee, I don't know, it's a tough choice. Don't you have any other colors?

They don't come in other colors, this is all we've got.

Ok, so I'll take the red, four door sedan.

Which one? It really matters which one you choose...

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

joebin if you don't prefer cars you could always go and vote for a write in candidate thats more your speed like eeyore

• TopHat
    TopHat

Did anyone mention that DIG needs a history lesson so he can answer his boys when they ask him a question about another country...It's always good to pay attention in history class so your basic answer will not be /I DON"T KNOW/ or at least he/she can give an educated guess.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Did anyone mention that DIG needs a history lesson so he can answer his boys when they ask him a question about another country...It's always good to pay attention in history class so your basic answer will not be /I DON"T KNOW/ or at least he/she can give an educated guess.

That was my thought also. The children are looking for answers from the persons they trust the most. They will remember the answers their whole life; how crucial it is to respond responsibly. And I wanted to say also that I have traveled to Europe post Irag war, with some expectation of ill treatment as an American. However, none was received. Fortunately, maybe most can separate the person from the government.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I think talking to your boy about British bombing might be the way to go. Hipocrisy is such an ugly thing after all!

For example, you could mention that Britain actually invented terror bombing as the first country to ever bomb Iraq in the 1920's. Imagine the surprise and awe those primitive tribesmen must have felt as they fled on horseback and camel!

You could also talk about how--unlike the American air forces which preferred precision daylight bombing--the RAF preferred nightime raids with their attendant lack of precision, collateral damage and higher civilian death toll. You could expand a bit on the RAF's pivotal role of reducing Dresden to rubble, a target of dubious military value i might add.

You could then tip-toe into the following decade and tickle his ears about the daring exploits of RAF bombers during the Suez Canal Crisis, which lamentably, the US had gall to interrupt and enforce a cease-fire, ruining all the fun.

I am sure he would enjoy a discussion of British bombings in relation to the Falklands war!

And right up into the present day, we have come full circle! Britain has dropped many "tonnes" of ordinance on that very country where it invented terror bombing at the outset, Iraq!

It's been a long strange ride hasn't it?

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Being global police and guaranteeing the safety of the world's liberal democracies has proven to be a thankless and expensive task.
    I think talking to your boy about British bombing might be the way to go. Hipocrisy is such an ugly thing after all!

Good to hear the United States have got some assistance in their role of guaranteeing world peace. Hipocrisy is very ugly indeed .

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    Did anyone mention that DIG needs a history lesson so he can answer his boys when they ask him a question about another country...It's always good to pay attention in history class so your basic answer will not be /I DON"T KNOW/ or at least he/she can give an educated guess

.Tophat, Dag you really need to read my original post properly, I never said I DON'T KNOW.

These are the words i said:-

My 13 year old then talked at length as to why, in his words, "America drops bombs everywhere". From my point of view i really couldn't answer him. The conversations ended with him saying, "why does America always bomb other countries?"

Notice, "from my point of view i couldn't really answer him." If you would have read through the thread, which you obviously haven't you will see i said he asked it with a moan and a sigh in a rhetorical way. From my point of view, in that i feel the same i, i couldn't really answer him.

BTS if you read through the thread you will see that I have! So don't call me a hypocrite.

I would suggest all three of you read a thread properly before you join in one late and start making assumptions.

Paul

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Good to hear the United States have got some assistance in their role of guaranteeing world peace. Hipocrisy is very ugly indeed .

I seem to have picked up a tailgater. Should I slam the brakes? Back off or I'll call the cops.

BTS

• joebin
    joebin

who are you...

eeyore?.. haha..nice one. Nope, wouldn't vote for him either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit